1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 7: A Made-to-Measure suit from Lanieri

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a Made-to-measure suit from Lanieri. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wdahab

wdahab Distinguished Member

Are you sure it was natural shell, as opposed to whiskey shell? They are often confused, and whiskey looks like it is a natural shell but its actually dyed and does not do much in terms of developing a patina. Natural shell, however, patinas quite a bit, going from a super light pink to super dark reddish brown, with a decent amount of contrast.

2. MoneyWellSpent

MoneyWellSpent Distinguished Member

The MTO offer is only for stocked materials. I don't think they are sourcing specific materials for just one pair of shoes.

3. cincikid

cincikid Senior Member

I think the light brown transparent is pretty much what I ended up with. However, Allison told me that it's essentially a variation of the natural edge. I actually completely forgot about the edge, but I do want to go with the wheeled one.

As far as the sole is concerned, I believe JR wears the best and is pretty much the golden standard in the industry. I'd be curious to read others' opinions on this.

4. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Distinguished Member

Not a fan of that toe style (moc toe?), but I really like that boot. If I was getting something with that toe, I think this would be it. Looks really good!

Dafaq! I paid ~220 for a used pair of walnut daltons. My first pair from AE. Yours were a steal at that price. Holy moly! I'm wearing mine for one of the first times. Managed to stretch it out a little first using a shoe tree, battery, and some water/rubbing alcohol. It's starting to feel niceeeee :)

5. evolved

evolved Senior Member

I figure that if the light brown transparent is TOO light, I can always darken it with chili edge dressing, or something similar.....but I think the contrast will look fantastic paired against the cappuccino cordovan. I think I'm going to go wheeled edge, as well. I'm curious to hear others thoughts on the JR sole vs. butyl. I thought butyl would be good because it's more weather resistant.

I was going for this basic theme (the shoe on the far left).

[​IMG]

6. tietherope

tietherope Senior Member

7. SBear

SBear Senior Member

Oh, but it isn't just a thread...it's a lifestyle for many.

/no that sale is over but there will surely be another soon, they've been coming somewhat regularly.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2013

8. NWTeal

NWTeal Distinguished Member

I believe the $299 shell cordovan seconds sale might still be going on if you want to try getting a pair. The Daltons are likey all gone though.

9. ridethecliche

Yeah probably. I think I have enough shoes right now. Might have to add boots as some of the current shoes die.

I *JUST* got the walnut daltons and the uppers look pretty much brand new. I'll likely need a new heel at the end of the year, but I think it's the best I could have done for that much cash. Dropping 300 bucks on shoes right now is (sadly) out of the question.

I just picked up used cole haan tan monkstraps and black rubber soled chukkas for ~40 bucks each. Yeah, they're CH's, but the price was right. So I'm all set for now.

I'm super happy with some of the AE's I've seen. I'm probably going to save and pick them up as used shoes in good condition or as firsts/seconds depending on the sales.

Thanks!

10. cincikid

cincikid Senior Member

Look for the link in this thread or google Tanger outlet 25% off coupon. It's essentially not a coupon per se, but an $10 donation to a breast cancer foundation, for which you get 25% off. It's valid till the end of October.

11. shitown

shitown Member

RDA IS COMING UP!! It's the biggest of the year! It starts September 30 ends October 15. The sale is on 1st quality and 2nd quality.

12. cincikid

cincikid Senior Member

The reason I chose JR was partly Allison's suggestion and partly the information that I gathered from the AE and Alden threads. Here's for instance, is the discussion of the JR vs. butyl:
    http://www.styleforum.net/t/141581/allen-edmonds-appreciation-thread/3750

I have no doubt that butyl will be better in the inclement weather, but the chances of me wearing them out when it rains are next to none.
    I think we pretty much ended up with the same design, with except for the sole (JR vs. butyl) eyelets (exposed antique vs. no eyelets), and possibly the lining.

13. rydenfan

rydenfan Distinguished Member

Another trick is after you wear a shoe and are about to place shoe trees back into the shoes to put a few pairs of socks over the shoe tree. I have a friend who had good success stretching a pair via this method

14. SBear

SBear Senior Member

Looking for thoughts, impressions, and experience with the Norwich (single monk), especially brown shell.

15. ridethecliche

What does this usually entail?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.