1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 10: A full set of Aesop's Fables pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 10th auction of the year is for a full set of Aesop's Fable's pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smoothmoose

smoothmoose Senior Member

I'm a newb to AE, and this thread just runs to fast to keep up. Is the 2 for $250 sale still on? I emailed shoebank a few days ago, but have yet to receive a response.

2. ScottyBoy920

ScottyBoy920 Senior Member

Give them a call for faster service- if the sale is still going on, you dont want to waste more time waiting.

3. wdahab

wdahab Distinguished Member

Has anyone discussed with AE their ability/willingness to use natural shell cordovan? Not walnut, but true natural, like Rancourt has been known to use? I'm thinking how awesome a pair of natty shell MacNeils with a natural welt, double oak sole would look.

Just to check, is Allison's email the obvious first name at allenedmonds.com? And is it spelled with one L or two?

Last edited: Sep 25, 2013

4. rydenfan

rydenfan Distinguished Member

I have been told from a few different people at AE that they have no interest in carrying difficult to get cordovan. Moving forward they will only be carrying: Dark brown, burgundy and black

5. tifosi

tifosi Tire Kicker

Actually it is [email protected]

AE told me this is as well. They have no plans to get any other color shell besides the three mentioned in the future.

6. cincikid

cincikid Senior Member

This is exactly what I came up with, except for an even lighter sole edge (somewhere in-between natural and chili). I also opted for the metal eyelets and blue lining.

7. cincikid

cincikid Senior Member

Also, I opted for the JR sole rather than double butyl.

8. wdahab

Disappointing, especially as natural shell isn't really "difficult to get" if you aren't trying to get a specific shade (like, not trying to get ravello or something hand-dyed) but rather just get a plain piece.

9. tifosi

tifosi Tire Kicker

I don't think it's a matter of it being difficult to get. If you aren't dying it, you have no way to cover the imperfections. That is the reason #8, black and brown are so relatively "plentiful".

10. wdahab

Yeah, I understand that. But it's not as rare as the colors that have to be darkened from the natural, like ravello or whiskey, and where people flip out if its not the exact shade they want. Okay, well I'm sending her the request anyway, and I'll put in the caveat that I don't mind if there are minor imperfections in the natural shell.

11. tifosi

tifosi Tire Kicker

I am pretty sure the only reasons those colors are rare is because of the shells you have to start with. The colors themselves are not rare. Natural shell would be even more rare for this reason. Not sure how Rancourt does it, tho...

12. evolved

evolved Senior Member

I wasn't aware that the lining could be changed....good to know, even though I'm not sure if I'll opt for another color.

As far as sole edge colors go, my impression is that natural is the lightest, followed by light brown transparent, followed by chili.....right?

Any reason why you went with one over the other?

And did you go with a wheeled edge?

13. rydenfan

rydenfan Distinguished Member

I am personally not a huge fan of natural shell. I have seen it pretty aged and I dont think it develops much in the way of patina. I am guessing because there is no color added there is not much in the way of contrast that develops

14. spitshine123

spitshine123 Senior Member

Interesting, would you care to share some examples? I've always just assumed natural shell to look somewhat like walnut

15. Jon Cheddar

Jon Cheddar Member

How can one get this 25% off coupon at any time?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.