Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tifosi

tifosi Tire Kicker

Yes and who knows how long the SF MTO offer will stand...

2. newbiealden

newbiealden Senior member

I have a pair of cordovan bradley's that have always been too tight in the toe box. Despite that i have worn them on occasion and it is ready for a recraft. Has anyone ever had their shoe widened to an E during recrafting? (is it possible?)

3. OptoDoc

OptoDoc Senior member

Merci beaucoup.

4. ryansto

ryansto Well-Known Member

I don't think you can. The concern would be, when a shoe is recrafted, It is put on the original size last, and new leather is pulled down so that a new welt can be stitched on to leather that has not been perforated, previously. If the shoe was to be made wider, you would be stitching the welt to leather that was originally below the welt line, exposing the original, perforated leather.

Hope that makes sense..?

5. rydenfan

rydenfan Senior member

A good cobbler can stretch a shoe up to a half size. You want to be very careful and ensure they have worked with cordovan but it certainly is possible

6. cincikid

cincikid Senior member

Yep, but on the bright side, no sales tax on shoes and clothes here in NJ is a big perk.

7. newbiealden

newbiealden Senior member

I wonder if i have them stretch the shoe first than recraft|relast it. i wanna try a local cobbler for some of this work - so this might be a good test of their capabiltiies.

8. tifosi

tifosi Tire Kicker

I agree! I'm not complaining!

9. BIGBERTHA

BIGBERTHA Well-Known Member

I should clarify. I bought a pair of Parkway in 7D and a pair of McTavish in 7E while doing some shopping in Portland. They were both crazy cheap so I overlooked their shortcomings with respect to fit. When I got home I realized that the Parkways 7D were unwearable...way to tight...toe crushing tight. Have since sold them. The McTavish 7E fit a little sloppy, but with the right socks are relatively comfortably. I am now looking at the Strands and wonder what size might work...I'm leaning towards 7.5D. Also, I wear a 7D in Alden Barrie.

10. Dillardiv

Dillardiv Senior member

I guess then the question is if I already have walnut Strands and don't have any full wings, should I go with the Jefferson? Wait for the sale and get Cambridge? I seem to like the brown better than the burgundy.

11. ryansto

I would stick with the 7E in the Strand, if the McTavish is big in that size. It seems like the McTavish runs a width, if not a half size larger than most other 5 lasted styles, so I would caution against going up a half size in length.

12. ryansto

I would go for the Jefferson now.

13. Gauss17

Gauss17 Senior member

I just got the jefferson (brown calfskin) and it's pretty awesome. I'll bet the shell version is even better.

14. MacktasticGDogg

MacktasticGDogg Senior member

The Brooks Brothers football leather chukka arrived today from the seconds sale. No deal breakers in terms of flaws I can see, and they fit fine, so they are keepers. I didn't know that these are unlined, but that's not a problem for me. Still not sure how they came up with an MSRP of $498, as there isn't anything I can see that warrant the higher than normal price. Kind of makes me wonder how many pairs BB is selling even with their normal 15~25% discounts. At $125 though, I think they are very nice, as I really like shoes made with the football leather.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. ReppTiePrepster

ReppTiePrepster Senior member

I'm not sure AE will do this for their recraft, but I'd guess B. Nelson might give it a try.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.