1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bucksfan

bucksfan Senior member

Yes. I don't know how much, but yes. In fact, you may want to try sizing down 1/2 size, and then going up 1 width. A lot of guys need to do this, due to the length of the 5 last.

You also may want to try out different lasts, to see what works best for your foot, and then start building a collection around that last. Similar shoes are made on different lasts.

For example, if you are looking for a Park Ave, but would rather have it in the 7 last, check out the "Boardroom" - sold by Jos. A Banks. Seconds are available in the AE outlets, or you can of course check them out in person at a JAB.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2012
  2. bucksfan

bucksfan Senior member

While I'm posting away today... and since I saw a similar thread started on another forum... I'll post here as well.

There will be SHELL CORDOVAN PARK AVENUES available in April.

I don't know when exactly they'll be available, but if I remember correctly it will be early April (my money's on April 1). It's to celebrate the 90th anniversary of the company.

I saw a picture and handled an early release pair, in black shell. I'm not sure if they will be available in burgundy shell as well... But the black shell looked really cool.

Pricing will be in the mid $400's (sale price upon first release) - price will probably increase to the regular $575 thereafter.

3. plei89

plei89 Senior member

!! I already have all the colors.... Shoot me now.

4. patrick_b

patrick_b Senior member

Dude...I'm loving your inside info!! Especially the comment about the Dundee factory 2nds...that's great speculation [​IMG].

5. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Senior member

Yes, changing sizes affects width and girth (volume of the shoe). If you download the AE fit guide, you will see that the 9.5D is very close to the ball width of the 10C but not exactly the same.

I tried that, going from an 11C to the 10.5D. The 10.5D destroyed my feet. The 11C (true to size) was OK but compressed my feet after a long day. I actually sized up to an 11.5C. After a few wears, I'm pretty happy with it. I do not have any heel slip problems after sizing up either. Best of luck.

6. andrew4h

andrew4h Active Member

Ya i have been trying a lot of different sizes in the black PA, as well as a couple of other lasts. I originally settled on a factory second in size 9E because a few different sales assistants said that the toe area would stretch/open up a bit. But after wearing it 2-3 times a week for 4 or 5 weeks, it still feels very tight and causes some pain by the end of the day along the pinky toe and big toe, as well as along the top of the foot towards the inside. Tried sizing up in store and the heel was too loose(both 9.5D and E).

However, have tried on the new 3 last in 9.5 D and waiting on the 9E, I am very hopeful that it may work out well for me, the 9.5D felt pretty confortable (if a tiny bit long).

May have to try the Alden modified last next time I am in NYC.

7. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Senior member

These shoes don't stretch, not for a long time anyway. Alden modified last is a generous last, but the shoe won't look as sleek if that is a problem for you. Otherwise, Aldens are made using a combination last meaning the heel is "B" while the toe is a "D" and so forth. It might work better for you in something like the Plaza or Hampton last. It took me numerous tries over several weeks to find a reasonable fit in the #5 AE last. Best of luck.

8. RingTail

RingTail Senior member

I"m looking for a sleek tan/brown loafer, Presidio is not offered in either of those colors, I'm thinking Westchester not sure if it has a narrow vamp and elongated toe. I like the C&J Merton but finding stock is a challenge. Anything else I should consider?

9. kmdsimpson

kmdsimpson Senior member

Damn, if they'd just fix the length of the toe cap at the same time, I'd be sold.

10. bucksfan

bucksfan Senior member

I hear ya - but I'll also tell you that I have seen many different pair of Park Avenues over the past couple years, and they are highly variable in that regard. Some have very short toe caps (such as the shell ones I saw in person) and others have toe caps almost as long as that on the Strand. I managed to get a pair in black calf with a longer toe cap... Still deciding whether I'm going to Ebay those and go for the shell.

11. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Senior member

[​IMG] Another comparison picture of my AE Combridge and Alden #8 PTB (posted how AE's brown compared to Alden's cigar a few responses back). Although both shell cordovan came from Horween, it is very clear that Alden's additional coat leads to a more eggplant color whereas AE is moer akin to oxblood.

12. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Senior member

Same here, the toe cap on my 11.5C is longer than the toe cap on my 11C. I did email AE using their feedback link and described this issue. Like anything, if they receive enough calls/emails they may address it.

13. reidrothchild

reidrothchild Senior member

"I"m looking for a sleek tan/brown loafer, Presidio is not offered in either of those colors, I'm thinking Westchester not sure if it has a narrow vamp and elongated toe. I like the C&J Merton but finding stock is a challenge. Anything else I should consider?"

[​IMG]

Have you considered the Parkland? It's about the most sleek loafer AE offers IMO. I like the proportions of it better than the Presidio, and it comes in brown.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2012
  14. elbastardocalvo

elbastardocalvo Senior member

Parkland is currently on clearance, too.

15. ElDave

ElDave Senior member

I saw it in the store and I thought the Parkland was quite nice looking.

16. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Senior member

Just received a call from AE about my bowing shell Bradleys. It was exactly 4 weeks to the day that I sent them back via UPS. She said the shoes were defective and too wide at the mouth and could not be repaired. They are making me a new pair but warned me it could be a month or so as their supplier of Cordovan leather is backed up on all colors. Yesterday I ordered the Strands in walnut shell so they will likely take awhile too then. Although the Bradleys took 2 months to be delivered from the time I ordered them, so pretty much expected that. She also did say all Cordovan shoes are made to order now. And that my new shoes would go to her personally and be measured before they sent them to me. Bravo Zulu to AE.

17. JubeiSpiegel

JubeiSpiegel Senior member

Condolences, friend...

The waiting game is a harsh mistress... :plain:

18. JubeiSpiegel

JubeiSpiegel Senior member

I was feeling "cordovan envy", but it looks like it comes at a price...

19. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Senior member

It is worth it though [​IMG]

Even calf can bow because of the construction AE uses. And I do like the construction, build and feel AE uses on my feet. This is the first pair I've had bow out of 11 AE shoes, luck of the draw I guess. Some of those are causal shoes and some boots however. I also ordered the Clifton in walnut calf yesterday because of the reviews on here. I should at least have those soon!

20. CJG_NYC

CJG_NYC Senior member

While its no 4 week wait, and not for cordovan, my blue Neumoks are back-ordered (says "availability: 7-10 days"). Seems to me that they dont keep much of a stock of my size in the 5 last: 7.5D. Two AE stores here in NYC had nothing close that my size in the Neumok, Player, and a few others.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.