1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. halfnhalfnhalf

halfnhalfnhalf Senior member

2. NWTeal

NWTeal Senior member

My MTO promontory boots are scheduled to be shipped tomorrow. The make up isn't exactly what i was looking for since they could add the blue lining and they forgot to do black eyelets/speedhooks, but I don't really mind. the unlined suede tongue looks a little funky, but i kind of like it and it'll probably be more comfortable as I have a high instep.

Allison sent me a picture, saying I could return them if i didn't like them, but depending on how it feels on the inside (I've never had unlined CXL) I'll probably keep these.I'll upload more pictures when they come in.

Golden brown CXL with a dainite sole.

[​IMG]

3. kmdsimpson

kmdsimpson Senior member

Beautiful! Another winner. I think AE should consider placing these MTO designs into production. Or just turn over all their boot design to this thread...

4. halfnhalfnhalf

halfnhalfnhalf Senior member

Those look terrific. Unlined CXL rocks. I might have held out for the speed hooks, though.

5. rydenfan

rydenfan Senior member

Those look great!! I prefer the all eyelets

6. mogili222

mogili222 Senior member

Got my Eagle County MTOs today.. The boots are amazing to look, however as you can see in the pictures the part that has the lace holes is not stitched straight on the vamp on the right foot. I have attached a couple pictures that show this. I am going to email Allison tomorrow as I see what she says, but just wanted to post here and see what you guys think? The left boot is fine

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. anrobit

anrobit Senior member

Personally, I wouldn't worry about it.

1 person likes this.
  8. BCer

BCer Senior member

If you ask me, it looks like the LEFT foot might be a tiny bit off. Specially in the bottom picture where you have the left foot crossed under the right. Which makes me think it's just how your foot stresses the boot at different angles. Doesn't look serious to me!?

9. bkotsko

bkotsko Senior member

I'll hold judgement until I see them on, but first impression is they look great.

10. ScottyBoy920

ScottyBoy920 Senior member

[​IMG]

Hey guys,

I was cleaning my strands when I noticed this crack along my welt. Any thoughts on the defect?

I'm going to contact AE to see what they think.
    Thanks,
    Scott

11. bespoken pa

bespoken pa Senior member

Same thing happened to me, end result was selling my shell daltons to me for the seconds price. I was very pleased

12. feyy

feyy Well-Known Member

Unreal how simple it is and yet so much nicer than the recent season of stock AE boots. You have a genuine winner there!

13. tifosi

tifosi Senior member

So... Do the Mora 2.0 get any love here? Kinda got a hankerin' for a dub monk. In the mood for something different.

14. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Senior member

Question for you long time AE owners...I have aprox 30+ pairs of AE's at this point some Firsts, a bunch of seconds and a bunch of used. All acquired over a short 3 month period. A mix of styles and a few Cordovan mixed in. I have no desire to keep them all and most used were purchased for educational purposes on lasts.

Cordovan is a new thing to me and at first I thought why? Did not understand the premium for it or even the look ..it looked almost fake to me. So I have a vintage Florsheim Burgundy Cordov LWB, a Vintage Hanover Cordov Black LWB, AE Park Ave Burgundy Cordovan's seconds. Yes I am now a Cordovan believer.....

So before I have sellers remorse in a few months, is there any reason to keep a black MacNeil cow, Burgundy McAllister or Black Byron? I am not in a conservative environment at all and it seems that many would not be worn that often due to the cordovan similar counterpart. I also have a beautiful pair of Pebbled Nettleton's getting all perttieeed up.

My plan is to keep about 15 pairs or so of AE's and wanted to see if others have sold off and wish they hadn't? Summers I am a shorts and Sebago guy so my AE's other than the loafers really wont get worn much.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2014
  15. kmdsimpson

kmdsimpson Senior member

This isn't a direct answer to your question, but here is my personal conclusions being in a similar situation - which is having more shoes than I need.
    1. Focus on fit. Only keep shoes if they fit really well. There is no reason to be hurting your feet and potentially causing bigger problems. If you've experimented with lasts, get rid of the shoes that you know you should not be tempted to wear.
    2. How much are the shoes worth? It might be that what you get is not worth enough to you, especially for the ones you bought used. In that case, I would just keep them for the odd time you'd wear them. On the other hand, if I knew I would never wear them, I think it's nice to make them available for someone who is just starting out.
    3. Whatever you do, I'd recommend keeping one pair of black and one pair of either brown or burgundy in calf that can be worn with suits. You'll need them at some point, even if not often. From three you list, I'd keep the burgundy Mcallister and black Byron. Both can be worn with suits.

I'm all for whittling down. I went through a similar phase as you, and I've decided that I get more satisfaction from wearing something great every day, rather than a vast quantity of mediocre.

My personal "sellers remorse" list would be most cordovan, and then anything in calf I find really unique. Most of the AE calf offerings can be rebought if you really need them later.

2 people like this.
  16. afewnicethings

afewnicethings Member

Those look fantastic. A few questions for you though. Did your invoice indicate your desired eyelet preference? What color stitching did you request for the uppers? Either way those are awesome. I personally enjoy the unlined CXL on my 1000 mile boots.

17. kmdsimpson

kmdsimpson Senior member

This:
    or this: [​IMG] Come on, AE! You are missing out on a great product here! OK, the Promontory Point is a fine rugged boot. But why can't they add something utterly fantastic like your MTO?

18. Indyoshi68

Indyoshi68 Senior member

Rocking my Moks with camouflage socks by Timberland today:
    [​IMG]

19. pudman43

pudman43 Senior member

lotsa love from me! Just got a pair, wearing them for the 2nd time tomorrow. Heads up, they fit wide[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. NWTeal

NWTeal Senior member

Thanks guys. I didn't think these would get as much love as they have. They'll certainly get some love from me in the form of hard wear during spring showers.

@afewnicethings My invoice does show that I wanted black eyelets and speed hooks (wanted to match the sole and give it some edge) but I'm glad they overlooked that after looking. At them. I asked for the upper stitching and welt stitching colors to match the rush street. I presume it's white.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.