1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tifosi

tifosi Senior member

I would not return boots for that issue, personally. But I guess different strokes for different folks.

2. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

I think that looks much better than the pictures some have posted with the Dalton's splayed open due to wide feet/ankles.

3. NickCarraway

NickCarraway Senior member

OK thanks all for the replies. I'll keep 'em. "ridethecliche" - as I said I'm concerned that if they stretch anymore the facings will overlap and i won't be able to tie them securely. I think I will use "BCer"'s suggestion of not using the top set of eyelets, since as you say the top of the boot is not visible even when seated.

4. hohneokc

hohneokc Senior member

I have Sanfords and Manchesters on the 7 last and they fit the same as my 5 last shoes. I wear the same size in both.

Chris

5. MrWN

MrWN Well-Known Member

Ah, thank you, Chris.

6. Nine Miler

Nine Miler Senior member

Not sure if that is the same for everybody. I go with 8E on the 5, but am better with 8.5D on the 7.

7. halfnhalfnhalf

halfnhalfnhalf Senior member

If you forgo two or three rows of eyelets, you can wrap the excess lace around the boot and then tie normally, like so:

[​IMG]

The Daltons may be a little on the formal side for it and not everyone likes the look, but I've seen people do it and I do like it.

3 people like this.
  8. wonsmithr8

wonsmithr8 Senior member

It's what I do with my OSB trenches (don't use top eyelets). [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 27, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  9. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

I like that look especially with leather and thicker laces.

10. tifosi

tifosi Senior member

I only store my speedhook equipped boots like that. I never thought to wear them that way...

11. chris45

chris45 Senior member

I have seen that wear method (with the laces wrapped and not all the way through the speed hooks) -- and I wear it from time to time.. just depends how much support I want in the boot.

Note: I have skinny ankles/legs and my Long Branch's do not fully close a the top speed hook, but I intentionally lace up a bit looser when going through all the speed hooks because if not, it's a bit too tight for me.

12. chinngiskhaan

chinngiskhaan Senior member

I personally like thomas thursday better than townley thursday... not that the townleys are an ugly shoe, they are beautiful in their own right, just like yours better.

13. DNSamurai

DNSamurai Senior member

[​IMG]

Picture above are brown shell Strand seconds which I can grab still as part of the $299. SA sent the picture saying the only thing she can see wrong is the crease in the shoe.

Do you guys think this a deal breaker, or is that something that should work itself out over time? My options are to grab theses Strands and return shell Jeffersons (which I just don't love), or pass on these, return the Jeffersons, and save the money for future purchases.

What's the play here gentlemen?

14. tifosi

tifosi Senior member

^^ Well i'm fairly certain that it isn't going to work itself out. They won't un-crease. Plus, they look like places where the shoe won't naturally crease.

15. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

If I recall, you weren't crazy about the Jeffersons because you thought they were too "blobby" and too formal, correct?

In my opinion, the Strands aren't any less formal or less blobby. In fact, they have an identical shape. So I would either forgo both pairs, or keep the one that's in better condition.

16. DNSamurai

DNSamurai Senior member

Good memory; but I disagree about the look of the two shoes. I already own the Strands in walnut calf and black calf. I find it to be a much sleeker shoe than the Jefferson.

17. polojock615

polojock615 Senior member

Mine crease there.

18. polojock615

polojock615 Senior member

Got my Bayfields today. Standard makeup, just in 12.5 EEE. Toes have no finish on them. That's odd. Spoke with Allison; she was very helpful and she is having me send them back.

[​IMG]

19. johngee

johngee Member

You must have ordered the Cambridge in size 11B right before me during the sale...I just missed out! Congrats, they look great. I'll be on the lookout next time!

20. NWTeal

NWTeal Senior member

Mine crease similarly, just not across the lacing area, if that makes sense at all.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.