Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NWTeal

NWTeal Senior member

I was thinking the exact same thing.

2. Olifter

Olifter Senior member

Not really, I have black. I would get brown, but I just bought the dark brown Strands. I would consider a pair in merlot, maybe with an antique edge.

3. njruss

njruss Senior member

When you get older you will understand what it means. Although getting old is a privilege that not everyone gets to enjoy so IMO you shouldn't complain about getting older if your fortunate enough to do so. My Grandmother used to preach that there was nothing more important than your health. At the time it didn't make sense to me, it certainly does now. But I'm not old, at least not yet. :)

AmazonBasics make sure to check the quality pricing- for 48 it is only $22.50 and they come in handy for a lot more than shoes. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009FUFCDQ/ref=noref?ie=UTF8&psc=1&s=automotive
    [/quote

thanks!

4. jch1

jch1 Senior member

Yeah. Not to be rude, but all of the sales and dates I posted were from a physical copy of the sales catalog. As I said, there are other non shoe items that I didn't list, but those are all of the shoe sales in the catalog. Hopefully somebody can put it to good use.

5. bucksfan

bucksfan Senior member

Wow- nicely done! I love the wheeled edge detail too.

6. chinngiskhaan

chinngiskhaan Senior member

I encourage my wife's frye addiction, she encourages my AE addiction... We are perfect for each other![​IMG]

7. chinngiskhaan

chinngiskhaan Senior member

pardon my ignorance, but what is an antique edge? Is there some way to look at all the different options to choose from when considering an MTO?

8. ayoungs

ayoungs Well-Known Member

I'm wondering what they had for belts? I'm looking to get a couple belts, a Manistee and a Chili dress belt, I'm wondering what's the better price?

9. YoungSweet

YoungSweet Senior member

Just got a notification and jumped on the Amazon sale on the 5th ave in walnut, $239 and 20% off. I'm down for sub $200 pair of firsts.

They also have the Strands for 270ish in black and walnut in case anyone cant wait for the next sale.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2013

10. Olifter

Olifter Senior member

Maybe I am not stating it properly, but it's a lighter colored sole often seen on cigar and #8 LWBs and boots. I believe I saw it referred to as an "antique" edge, but I could be mistaken. It would be a similar sole to what is on the walnut Strands.

11. CalTex

CalTex Senior member

I recently purchased a pair of shell patriots when the shell second's sale was going on and I noticed two things.

1. A spot/hole/scratch on the inner wall of the right loafer but it doesn't appear to go through. (I have no intention of poking it to find out either) Has anyone experienced a similar problem, what was the outcome? I don't mind a scratch but a hole would worry me.

2. Along the stitching of the toe there appears to be an untanned part exposed. I would like to assume that it isn't a big deal and can be easily fixed with cream.

This is my first pair of shell shoes and I'm really excited to see how they age. Unfortunately I already wore them so returning is out of the question.

Sorry if my thoughts are rambled, its 5 am and I haven't slept.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 24, 2013

12. cincikid

cincikid Senior member

I believe "antique edge" refers primarily to Alden. I don't think there's AE uses the same term. Based on my conversation with Allison, Alden's "antique" would probably be what AE calls a "Chili" edge.

13. wdahab

wdahab Senior member

Well, I can at least speak to the toes of those Patriots, that's completely normal. The toe stitching on the shoes is done by hand, using an awl, which doesn't make a small hole, it makes a diagonal slant shaped hole. So the thread can pull it a bit and show into the hole. That's normal and not even a little bad.

As for what's going on in the inside portion of the shoe, it's too tough to tell. It could be just a major scratch, it could be a full fledged hole. If its a full hole, and you simply didn't notice before wearing, AE may very well take the shoes back as a courtesy (though they will probably not have any more shell patriot seconds in the system by this time to replace them for you).

And for the threading on the saddle, my guess is that it was resewn and that if you pull on those ends they'll just come right out. So you can just clean them off by hand, perhaps.

14. jch1

jch1 Senior member

Here's what they have for belts. Again, all of this is from the catalog. I don't know if they will have more offerings during the sale
    Wide basic belt in Brogue Suede, Brown Burnished Calf, Black: $83.30
    Cottonwood Belt in Navy, Red, Tan: $69
    Teton in Tan, Black: $69
    Lamar in Cognac: $69
    Stillwater in Tan: $69
    Bombay in Black: $79
    Dearborn in Walnut: $79

There's a picture of 8 belts, including the wide basic and manistee in walnut/chili (can't tell), but they aren't individually priced. It says Reg. $88-$130, Sale $74.80-$110.50.

So yes, the Manistee will be on sale, but I'm not sure what it will cost. I'd guess at least 15% off of MSRP.

15. wurger

wurger Senior member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.