1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tampatravel

tampatravel Senior member

Hmmmm....some Navy Blue Calf in a Patriot Model would look really really cool... Maybe a light colored reverse welt *storm* and I think they'd look fantastic, no?

They'd kinda look like this, but these are Alden & CXL

[​IMG]

2. Pastor

Pastor Senior member

Here are my Leeds from the recent $299 sale. I actually purchased Black Shell PA as well. These Leeds were not available but the SA said that as soon as a pair came in stock that she would honor the sale price. These are stunning and probably the best looking AE I've seen out of the box. There is a scratch on the side of the left shoe that I know will disappear with some polish. I now officially have more AE shell than any other brand. I think I'm going to be done buying anything for a while.

[​IMG]
    screencapture

[​IMG]
    image hosting

2 people like this.
  3. FreedBird

FreedBird Senior member

That sounds like a better method, I will try that next time.

4. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Senior member

Thanks I just ordered the Obenauf... will get to work on them this weekend

5. Nakedsnake

Nakedsnake Senior member

i've had great results from putting the HDLP in the microwave for a bit (30-45 seconds), which warms it up and makes it much more liquid like. Then I lather it into the boots with my hands. Makes more sense to me than trying to warm the whole boot, which is more difficult.

6. bkotsko

bkotsko Senior member

I tried to heat up the HDLP first, but when I warmed the leather, the shoes seemed to soak it in better (like a sponge) regardless of if the HDLP was in a liquid state.

7. newguy123

newguy123 Member

These are amazing. I need...

8. Nakedsnake

Nakedsnake Senior member

My Long Branches are in need of another coat of HDLP pretty soon, so when I apply it, I will try that method and I'll report back. Thanks for the heads up.

9. AT83

AT83 Active Member

I put my HDLP on my coffee mate mug warmer until it is mostly liquid. Soaks in just fine even on cold boots. I'll hit them with a hair dryer for a little bit before setting them aside overnight. Buff them the next day and then good to go.

10. chris45

chris45 Senior member

@OptoDoc also posted his HDLP method which included letting the shoes bake in the sun (inside a garbage bag).. was quite interesting.

I will copy/paste since it was many threads back:

Quote:

Last edited: Feb 26, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  11. random-adam

random-adam Senior member

I sat both my boots and the jar in front of a space heater for a few minutes, then did the application in front of it as well. The stuff soaks in really nicely after hanging out next to 1500 watts.

Thanks, all, for the reminder -- it's been a few weeks; the boots could probably stand a good wipedown and another application.

12. chris45

chris45 Senior member

FYI, I got word (from Manager, not regular SA) that 2 for $250 is still going on.. but in a few weeks or so.

1 person likes this.
  13. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Senior member

14. evilWagon

evilWagon Senior member

Yes, I confirmed the other day that they sold so much during the last sale they were delaying it to build inventory back up.

1 person likes this.
  15. chris45

chris45 Senior member

Heh, yea -- they did say 3 weeks .. so while I wouldn't say that is the 'definite time frame', it will be very close to 3 weeks from now.

And this 2 for $250 includes only closeout models, correct?

16. hoit1981

hoit1981 Senior member

Those are looking great!

Mine came in today (a dark brown pair to replace the #8 the accidentally sent me a few weeks ago). They are looking awesome but very dark also. I have a pot of Renovateur, a rag and brush so intend to give them some "Burzan treatment" later on tonight. How did you go about doing it exactly?

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  17. SeanP

SeanP Active Member

Two questions: Is it worth sending shoes to Allen Edmonds to have the heels redone instead of a good local cobbler? I have a pair of Lombards (rubber AE soles) and not sure if I should send them in or take it to my local cobbler for Vibram heels.

Bourbon belts, I have a Manistee Bourbon but what is another good basic dark brown to pickup (aside from AE DB belt)?

Thank you.

18. JJ--

JJ-- Member

My new AE Kenilworths came in today. Thanks for the suggestions 7 rocket I love them! Now I get to put away my black PAs in the box and only get out for special occasions.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  19. SkySaw

SkySaw Well-Known Member

I wear my Longbranches in situations where a longwing blucher would be suitable, but the weather is too wet/slushy/snowy/salty for leather soles. I don't wear my Longbranches to shovel snow or do outdoor work. So, all I use is a leather conditioner/moisturizer and cream polish to keep the boots moisturized and protected. When I first got them, I moisturized them with conditioner, and then applied 3-4 coats of polish over the first few days to build a layer of protection. I wipe the boots with a damp paper towel at the end of the day to remove any salt/dirt, and mine look better than new after wearing them often and through a lot of very bad weather since january. The HDLP is overkill for my needs, and it looks to me like it makes the Longbranch look more like a workboot. Are you planning to use a waterproofer and then HDLP? Too many products on the leather can cause leather to crack by not allowing it to breath. I think there can be merit to a simple strategy of moisturizer and polish provided that you clean your shoes/boots at the end of the day.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 26, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  20. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Senior member

Skysaw they look great - I wont be shoveling or doing any heavy outdoor manly things in them - they will get worn when going to work and snowing or raining out and just want to make sure they are not going to get ruined if getting wet. I now wipe down my shoes and brush them at the end of the day.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.