Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cincikid

cincikid Senior member

A few that won't pass the QC might eventually end up at the ShoeBank but the probability of you getting a pair in your size is pretty slim, though definitely non-zero. If memory serves, shell seconds retail for $499 (or $449?) so your savings compare to the first quality WebGems are pretty minimal.

This actually reminded me that The Shoemart sells Alden shell cordovan seconds for $399, including cordovan boots. This might be a better deal that AE shell seconds

2. cincikid

cincikid Senior member

Assuming it will have passed the inspection...

3. Mr.K

Mr.K Senior member

Unfortunately they do not all pass QC the first round. That is why I am going on 4 months for my suede MacNeils. I hope my cordovan ones go much better.

4. rydenfan

rydenfan Senior member

Wow. 4 months for suede is a long wait

5. dapperdoctor

dapperdoctor Senior member

They are nice. If they were my size, I'd consider grabbing that pair.

6. cincikid

cincikid Senior member

Does anyone have RL Saunders in suede? I haven't seen it in person but given it's on a 2 for $250 sale I thought I might want to check it out. Is it similar enough to Amok? Is there be any reason I'd want to have both?

7. MPwer

MPwer Member

Does anyone know as to when the next AE sale is? I missed out on a couple good options and now have only 1 pair that I'd like to buy. The 2 for $250 may not work for me after all. Thanks

8. masernaut

masernaut Senior member

I have it in suede. It's... okay. The suede isn't of the best quality. You get what you pay for.

9. mdavis534

mdavis534 Senior member

It is a very long wait. I was actually surprised when I emailed and she mentioned is going through final inspection. I was expecting two months. I hope it passes. My order was similar to the pair of MTO cappuccino strands that were posted a few pages back. I am really looking forward to receiving mine.

10. coolarrow

coolarrow Senior member

Not similar to the Amok.

Another option is the Shnautal that can be found in Nordies Rack. I think someone got some for $175 recently. That's a suede longwing, and has a double leather sole.

11. shartmann

shartmann Senior member

coolarrow - are you thinking of the RL Sanderson, which is a longwing? The RL Saunders is a chukka boot similar to the Amok. You can see it on the RL site here:

http://www.ralphlauren.com/product/index.jsp?productId=4360408

12. charliebrown2

charliebrown2 Senior member

guessing he's referring to the amoks being unlined while the RL Saunders are lined

13. dusttruffle

dusttruffle Senior member

how does the last for Leeds / Dundee (511) fit in comparison to the McNeils (97)? ... How are people sizing? thanks ...

14. JohnnyGalt

JohnnyGalt Well-Known Member

I have some questions about the frequency of your guys shoe care. I have two pairs of shell that I normally wear twice a week - how often should I be brushing the shoes and how often should I be applying Reno to them? As of now, I probably brush every other week and Reno once a month, is that too much or too little? Also, both of these shoes have the double JR sole, any rough idea of how long before a resole at this rate of wear?

15. rydenfan

rydenfan Senior member

I would say brush more and Reno less. I brush my shells after every wear, every other at most and Reno once or twice a year. That being said my pairs are not worn as frequently as yours but I do think you could decrease the frequency with which you use Reno. I always give mine a quick brush prior to putting on as well

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.