1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mdubs

mdubs Well-Known Member

Here were the specs.

1 person likes this.
  2. LeviMay

LeviMay Well-Known Member

Did that question get answered? I'm also curious as to the difference between Burgundy Calf and Merlot Burnished Calf. Is it like Walnut and Bourbon?

3. mdubs

mdubs Well-Known Member

They look pretty much the same to me. Google "allen edmonds merlot vs burgundy" and you will get a few pics. But my understanding is that they no longer sell Burgandy calf typically in favor of Merlot.

-Mike

4. LeviMay

LeviMay Well-Known Member

I didn't think they were exactly alike, but agree that they're fairly similar. I realize it's not a real-life representation, but I've tried comparing them on the custom shoe creator on the AE site, and Merlot seems slightly darker and less shiny.

5. ymmt

ymmt Well-Known Member

Are the MTO Eagle County still available to order? If so, how would one go about ordering? The one in chili is a showstopper. :slayer:

6. YoungSweet

YoungSweet Well-Known Member

They are available for MTO, they would be regular price ($395) as I just checked with Allison last week. Lucky those who got them MTO at the discounted price.

7. tjyoung

tjyoung Well-Known Member

Thanks for finding this mdubs. And thanks for the compliments, all. I'm loving these. Can't wait to put them into rotation this week.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2014
  8. tjyoung

tjyoung Well-Known Member

Yes, both are shell. What advice are you offering?

9. GOP Shoe Guy

GOP Shoe Guy Well-Known Member

Absolutely amazing. Still waiting on mine, even though I was the first to order at the discounted price. They did not pass inspection the first time. BTW, Allison informed last week that she can no longer do MTO for discount pricing. To all that got the deal, enjoy the special price. I can't wait to get mine that were remade, they went for inspection last week. Great make up on the Chili Eagle County.

10. GOP Shoe Guy

GOP Shoe Guy Well-Known Member

Absolutely superb!

11. tifosi

tifosi Well-Known Member

I keep coming back to these pics. I think I like these.... :)

12. rydenfan

rydenfan Well-Known Member

You just need them in burgundy shell...

1 person likes this.
  13. tifosi

tifosi Well-Known Member

Nah. I have Alden #8 straight tips. I need brown.

14. Rene_Lahm

Rene_Lahm Well-Known Member

I've loved how all of these Eagle County's have turned out. I still can't believe people got these at the clearance price, they are all wonderful looking boots, quite versatile too. At $395 with the waived MTO i'd even call that a great deal. Just looking at the regular Eagle County, you would never know such nice boots could produced out of them. It's partly AE's crappy photos, and and the choices people have made when ordering them.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2014
  15. rydenfan

Brown shell it is! I think they would look great in suede as well

16. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Well-Known Member

The new burgundy is quite a bit browner. The current merlot is redder, with almost a purplish hue. Like the old burgundy.

17. rydenfan

Sorry but that is not the case. I love AE and own multiple pairs but Viberg is a completely different level of quality and finish

18. tifosi

tifosi Well-Known Member

I think I'm going to stay away from shell. I may go calf. Especially for the price.

19. rydenfan

Natural CXL??

20. coolarrow

coolarrow Well-Known Member

You can darken the lighter colored shoe on the westchester with some dark brown polish. Wax only. Don't use the cream.

Or, you can set the darker shoe in the sun. The sun will lighten it. However, I've heard this takes days. Like 7 days. Check them nightly to make sure you dont overdo it.

As for the dryness, I recommend some venetian shoe cream. I've found this returns some of the moisture to dried shell. Others have reported using cordovan creme from AE and Saphir renovatuer, I think. I like VSC and have experience with it.

I've found that you can fill in those scratches, which all shoes get, with some wax polish. Just in the area of the scratch. Then some polish. Others have used a deer bone. I have no experience with that, though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.