1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mdubs

mdubs The Mayor of Aldensville

Black Shell Leeds. You have a lot of shoes with designs/medallions already.

-Mike

1 person likes this.
  2. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

Are they for wearing with a suit? casual wear? sport coats? We need to know how you intend to wear them to advise on best choice.

3. xxxamazexxx

xxxamazexxx Senior member

I have been wanting to buy a pair of AE shoes for so long. In fact, I have been camping for a pair of Park Avenue ever since I knew I needed them. I thought once I found them new around ~ $160 I'd pull the trigger.

And then this came along.
    [​IMG]
    I just fell in love instantly. Minus $227 later, I still loved it. What the hell is Park Avenue even now?

4. chris45

chris45 Senior member

Sorry, I thought I had that in my post.. obviously not =[

More casual wear .. but versatile enough to dress up if I have to.

I don't have a good suit collection yet -- that is slowly coming together.

5. xxxamazexxx

xxxamazexxx Senior member

and by the way, I ordered these in size 8. I wear 8 in casual sneakers, Red Wing round toe, and Walk-Over chukkas, but usually 8.5 in laced up dress shoes. Do you think these boots in size 8 will fit me?

Last edited: Feb 21, 2014
  6. Dillardiv

Dillardiv Senior member

Indy are those brown or burgundy? Out of box look brown and after your work it looks burgundy.

7. tuckfro

tuckfro Active Member

Brand-spanking-new McTavish. Ordered Tuesday evening, arrived this morning.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  8. halfnhalfnhalf

halfnhalfnhalf Senior member

My "tester" Elgins and Stewarts arrived this morning. First impressions:

(1) The tan on both is virtually identical - a little too dark for my taste.

(2) The Elgin leather is stiffer than I expected it to be. The Stewart is a little softer, but still on the stiff side IMO.

(3) They both look like they were sprayed with a clearcoat or something similar. It gives them a "hard" shine and may contribute to the stiffness of the leather.

They are nice shoes but I think they're going back.

I also have Rush Streets and Clark Streets that are coming hopefully on Monday, so I'll be able to compare the golden brown and natural CXL to each other as well as to the Elgins/Stewarts. I'm expecting the CXL to be considerably softer and less shiny than the Elgin/Stewart leather.

Ultimately, I could see myself keeping the Rush Streets, although I would probably wait for a sale or second. And, while I don't have much interest in the Clark Streets per se, the natural CXL may inspire me to place a second MTO order with Allison, namely the Stewart in natural CXL. Contrary to earlier policy, I understand that Allison will NOT honor the current Stewart price for an MTO, but someone is welcome to correct me if I'm wrong about that . . . .

1 person likes this.
  9. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

I just got these too. The fit is a tad but roomier than my long branch, about the same as my Kenilworth. I wear a 10.5 3E in all AE shoes. Except Patriot, for which apparently I should have gone up a half size.

10. halfnhalfnhalf

halfnhalfnhalf Senior member

Wow, those are lighter than I would have expected them to be. Very nice and I'm sure you'll enjoy them. And, it sounds like your shipping experience from Port Washington, like mine, is essentially two-day for free. AE = Amazon Prime! [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  11. MKJ1

MKJ1 Active Member

Thanks for confirming 3E can't fit D. I fit a 9.5EEE on the 5 last, and was offered a 10D as an option by Jeffersonville when I inquired about some shell strands. Sadly had to pass on them.

12. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

I see three choices: (i) Park Avenues if you wear a suit with any regularity; (ii) a black Kenilworth or Delray if primary use will be business casual; or (iii) black shell Leeds if primary use will be casual. I'm not a fan of black wingtips.

I think the Kenilworth/Delray option is the most versatile as you can wear both with a suit in a pinch and with jeans. Personally, the only black shoes I own are captoes as I wear brown or burgundy with everything else.

1 person likes this.
  13. random-adam

random-adam Senior member

Your collection is among the most casual I've seen in this thread -- fantastic for everything from jeans to wool slacks and an odd jacket, but tricky if something more formal comes up. I'd strongly suggest a Park Avenue or Harrison or even a Carlyle, in burgundy or (preferably) black.

The problem with interviews and funerals and such is that they frequently come up with little notice... so it's good to have a comfortable, properly-fitted shoe already in hand.

2 people like this.
  14. 7_rocket

7_rocket Senior member

Is that the natural tan? Or?

15. tuckfro

tuckfro Active Member

Natural. Sorry I didn't include that in my initial post.

16. MKJ1

MKJ1 Active Member

@peppercorn78 I noticed your brown shell strands a few pages back and you wear a 10.5 3E. I think you picked up the pair i returned around September or October.[​IMG] HatEd having to return them

17. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

Yup those are them. They're actually the best fitting shoes I own. A steal at 299, despite the sloppy stitching.

Is that why you returned them?

Edit: oh I see, they were the wrong size for you.

18. chris45

chris45 Senior member

Thanks for your suggestions! I haven't really looked too closely at the Delray's.. I guess that's something I need to start looking at. For the black Leeds, is that something that can still be worn in a formal environment or is it too casual being derby?

I definitely get that brown/burgundy is definitely the pick over black, which is why I haven't purchased black yet :) -- but, what do people usually wear with their black slacks / button down shirt .. or even blue jeans with a black shirt?

I'm still learning the ropes =]

Thanks for your comments, too! And yes, I wanted to build my initial collection to be casual and versatile and then work into more formal/dressier situations. I'm also not that familiar with the Harrison or Carlyle so definitely going to take a look at those... As far as the Carlyle goes, it's a plan toe oxford whereas the Leeds are plain toe derby... right?

No concerns with interviews (been here for a long time and plan on being here for a while longer)... but funerals have definitely been catching me off guard (hell, one a week or two ago =\)

19. Burzan

Burzan Senior member

A big shoutout to rydenfan for selling me these beautiful cappuccino cordovan Bayfields!

Their long journey of life with me begins today, I love these things and the mini lug on them makes them a bit sleeker compared to the CXL version.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4 people like this.
  20. 7_rocket

7_rocket Senior member

I'm going to get this shoe next, did you size down .5 ? I know members say that they fit bigger than normal.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.