1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tifosi

tifosi Senior member

I 100% recommend merlot or burgundy. They will pair really well with the wardrobe you describe. I'm not sure which shoes AE offers in merlot off the top of my head, but a cap toe or a punched cap toe would look great.

2. tampatravel

tampatravel Senior member

Big game today between the USA and our friends to the north (who are mostly here in Florida currently)

I broke out the R/W/B MacNeils

[​IMG]

4 people like this.
  3. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

I wear 10.5 3E. Going up to 11D doesn't work because the ball of my foot is in a narrower part of the shoe because of the extra length. And, it's narrower all over.

Making my foot hurt just thinking about it

4. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

It was like XMas this morning. MTO Shaker Heights arrived along with Rutledge and Patriot seconds.

The Shakers fit like a glove. Dainite sole is the only alteration. Rutledge has a slightly askew toe cap on the left, but otherwise are great. The Patriots look perfect. Can't tell what's wrong with them. Sadly, they don't fit at all. Quite painful. I could have gone up a half size for this shoe.

Oh well, 2 out of 3 ain't bad!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. halfnhalfnhalf

halfnhalfnhalf Senior member

BIG thumbs-up.

6. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

I'll answer with a qualified no. I think you can get away with it because their shell, but it may not be the best choice. As you build your collection, you'll probably find yourself reaching for more casual options when wearing jeans.

7. tifosi

tifosi Senior member

I don't wear any balmoral with jeans, personally.

8. tifosi

tifosi Senior member

I finally got up the nerve to put some product on my Cambridge last night. They are a bit over a year old. As part of a little shoe care kit my wife got me for Valentines day was some Saphire neutral cordovan creme polish. I brushed to remove dirt, cleaned with a damp cloth and let dry. Applied the creme sparingly and let sit for 10+ minutes. Then I buffed with a microfiber towel like I normally do. Although I don't have pics to back it up because I just can't seem to take a pic to showcase it...they really look great. It added a nice shine and definitely gave the shell a richer tone. It looks healthier. I wonder if this is enough to keep my shells nourished or if I should still pick up a conditioner??

9. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

Agreed, I'm the same way. I've worn my walnut Strands with jeans once or twice, but it never looked right to my eye and ended a few years ago when I accumulated better options. My one exception is that I prefer my suede shoes to be balmorals and will wear them with jeans on occasion.

10. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

This has been my regimine for the past year or so. Whenever I see my shell getting a little dry, I use the Saphir neutral cordovan cream, which moisturizes and results in a great shine. I tend to apply it once every few months. In between applications, I simply use the Mac Method.

I started out trying Renovateur for this purpose, but it seemed to be doing more cleaning than restoring moisture to the shoes. Unless I'm mistaken, I think even DFW commented that the neatsfoot oil in the Saphir cordovan cream was good stuff for shell.

11. Mark_Y

Mark_Y Senior member

The horror. How absurd to find pictures of shoes in a thread about....... SHOES. :satisfied:

1 person likes this.
  12. MMoon24

MMoon24 Senior member

I'll post pictures when I sm home, but I received my seconds black park avenues yesterday. On initial inspection, I noticed some minor blemishes which didn't bother me. What bothered me was that after I put the laces in, I noticed some wrinkles had formed around the throat on only one of the shoes. Was just wondering if this is normal, since I'm relatively new to purchasing dress shoes, let alone AE seconds.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2014
  13. mdubs

mdubs The Mayor of Aldensville

Tif, the cordovan cream is designed to moisturize and nourish the leather and gives it a nice shine. Reno cleans it, but dries it out some.

14. tifosi

tifosi Senior member

Well that is good to know. I'm glad someone else had been using it with positive results for a while.
    I did hear positive things about the neatsfoot oil in there and it also contains bees wax which, I assume, could offer some protection.

I've never mentioned it to my wife before; so kudos to her for picking it out!

15. rydenfan

rydenfan Senior member

Its about time! Those poor malnourished hides...That should be plenty to keep them well conditioned but you can always experiment a bit with other products

16. tifosi

tifosi Senior member

Thanks, dubs. I am definitely pleased with the results. My whiskey shell is just as old as my Cambridge...now I need to build up the nerve to touch them.

17. evilWagon

evilWagon Senior member

Nice, I wish I had some red and white shoes to provide but some opposition. But instead I just might order the Golden cxl rush streets for Sunday! And ironically the rest of my family headed to fla this week (Canada south).

18. chris45

chris45 Senior member

Ok ok... so I'm in a slight dilemma... need to know what NEXT [​IMG]

Have:
    - Walnut Strands
    - Bourbon Kenilworth
    - Burgundy Shell MacNeil
    - Navy Neumok
    - Smokey Grey Long Branch

Trying to stay with more versatile picks at the moment

I would really like to find the brown Long Branch's ... but I'm also lacking a black shoe (obviously)... and when thinking of black I lean toward, black shell Leeds / black shell MacNeil / or.. PA/FA in black calf..

What say you?!

Edit -- forgot about the Shell Dundee's in that decision mix too ;)
    Edit 2 -- Also keeping a very close eye on the CXL Rush Streets with danite sole (but hoping I can grab them on sale..)

Last edited: Feb 21, 2014
  19. pudman43

pudman43 Senior member

My vote would be McAllister in black, but there are lots to choose from. J

1 person likes this.
  20. chris45

chris45 Senior member

Thanks -- I forget about those McAllister's ...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.