1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Makeyourself

Makeyourself Member

As per Septimus suggestion, I have posted my question here. Mods - I had created a separate thread for this; feel free to close it down.

I just got these AE McAllister wingtips. 9.5D is somewhat tight but the biggest issue is the lace gap which is pretty significant, as you can see. *I took the pictures at around 6pm. 9.5E looks fine but I have some heel slippage. Also, if they stretch, they will probably just close the gap which is not supposed to happen. Right? I am usually a 9.5 on everything and I got sized once at Nordstrom - 9.5D.

Will the 9.5D stretch to close the gap to an acceptable level (especially the right foot - a full 1 inch)?
    How much heel slippage is too much?
    If I was to go with a half size down wider shoe, should I go with 9E, EE, or EEE?

Thank you!

9.5D
    [​IMG]

9.5E
    [​IMG]

2. NWTeal

NWTeal Senior member

Second pair of Rutledge seconds came in from the sale. Both my pairs have too many flaws for my taste which is too bad because it's probably my favorite AE shoe right now and the 3 last seems to be perfect on my feet. I guess I'm going to have to keep my shell Norwich instead!

I did notice that both Rutledges came with regular shoe bags, is that the case with everyone?

3. mdubs

mdubs The Mayor of Aldensville

I would go 9.5e if I were you. -Mike

4. tomlu

tomlu New Member

The 9.5Ds are too tight, they're not supposed to flare like that. 9.5E looks like it's the right width. A *little* bit of heel slippage is OK as long as it's not too excessive. The shoes won't stretch, and the cork sole will shape to your feet which slightly reduces heel slippage with wear. You could try 9Es, but they will probably be too short.

You could also try experimenting with different lacing to see if that will reduce heel slippage a bit. Maybe try European Straight? It will probably look better too.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2014
  5. halfnhalfnhalf

halfnhalfnhalf Senior member

6. halfnhalfnhalf

halfnhalfnhalf Senior member

7. GOP Shoe Guy

GOP Shoe Guy Senior member

8. MKJ1

MKJ1 Active Member

Heads up, additional 20% off clearance on AE.com. Sorry if already posted

9. wonsmithr8

wonsmithr8 Senior member

My pair or rutledges and Jeffersons that I sent back both came with regular shoe bags.

10. Indyoshi68

Indyoshi68 Senior member

Can someone give me some technical assistance on how to even the level of shine between these two Cambridge medallions? The right one has a lot more shine than the left; no matter how much brushing and buffing elbow grease I apply, the left shoe just wont take on the glow that the right one did:
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    Any suggestions would be humbly received!

11. afewnicethings

afewnicethings Member

Snuff suede Amok's on the way! Awesome deal.
    [​IMG]

12. Burzan

Burzan Senior member

Damn, now I really am going to need to make a decision between the Elgin or the Snuff Neumok. I think I may have to pass on the Elgin, I have always liked it but I think I will have a hard time finding when to wear it. It really doesn't seem that versatile with the natural welt. I always like them when they are alone but anytime Ii see an outfit pic with them they look odd.

The snuff Neumok is pretty damn nice though and would go with lots of my wardrobe.

13. AIK1891

AIK1891 Active Member

and I love AE's customer service (just got off the phone) ... over the weekend I ordered McGraw suede loafers and a pair of Strawfut's, both said "up to 8 weeks." The McGraw's shipped and charged yesterday (so note, "up to 8 weeks" can mean 3 days). Today 20% sale notice. So I call in and not only get the Strawfut's cancelled and then re-ordered with the discount, but they refunded the 20% that had already charged on the McGraw's. With that $90 add total savings on those two pairs, along with the further 20% off, think I'm off to do some more shopping ...

2 people like this.
  14. JezeC

JezeC Senior member

Quote:the snuff suede Strands is probably too similar for me to consider the snuff snuede Neumoks right? Just picked up the suede Amoks in tan though. How''s the pricing? It was $115ish

Last edited: Feb 19, 2014
  15. Burzan

Burzan Senior member

16. ScottyBoy920

ScottyBoy920 Senior member

Looks like some additional sizes have been added as well.

17. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

This is ultimately a judgment call that only you can make and keep in mind that the answer may be "none of the above." Some lasts simply do not work for some feet. As an example, a D width in the 8 last is too tight in the toe box for me, but my heel swims in the E width. As a result, I will soon own no 8 last shoes.

Minor vertical heel slippage will improve as the sole flexes and breaks in. It can also be addressed with a tongue pad. Significant vertical heel slippage or your heel moving from side to side will not improve. So, how bad is the heel slippage in the E width?

I also disagree with the poster above who said that the shoes will not stretch. In addition to my foot settling into the cork, the leather uppers on my Strands have stretched during the three years I've been wearing them to the point where there is no longer any gap. So, if the D width is fairly comfortable, this may be something worth considering. If the D width is uncomfortable, you will likely never get enough stretching to change that fact.

1 person likes this.
  18. AIK1891

AIK1891 Active Member

man, these dilemmas this morning ...

to start with, the additional sizes added just increased possibilities for me.

the Amok shows up as < $120 in my cart, so the tan is very temping, but I already have a tan Strandmok, BUT, for reasons mentioned a few pages back, while I like the Stranmok it is not ideal.

there are now also some good options in snuff suede in my size, including both Amok and Neumok. BUT, I was just waiting final confirmation from Allison on a bourbon/snuff leather&suede MTO Sapienza loafer, so that would give me some coverage for snuff suede, and ALSO I had liked the look of the Fullerton in snuff suede
    (on an aside, anyone familiar with the Fullerton? It showed up as a new style a couple of months ago in two colors, including snuff suede, and I was drawn to it because it's a cap toe in a last better suited for me than the 5-65. But now the only way to see the suede version is to type in and search for it, along with right after it first appeared & ever since the suede has not been available in the EEE width I need though the football leather version always has been. [?])​

19. BolognaFingers

BolognaFingers Senior member

This is an incredible sale... and makes sense if they are trying to shy away from seconds, right?

20. JezeC

JezeC Senior member

Quote:The way I see it. Seconds offer more popular selections while clearance offer seconds pricing at the first quality level, but limited selection.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.