• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score

Received my Shell Cambridge yesterday. Can't see why they were seconds. They are stunning. I've been brushing them like crazy - my wife thinks I'm obsessed. These are easily my favorite AEs so far.

Great deal for the $299 shell 2nds sale a couple of weeks ago.

Got Black Cambridges from that sale as well. Look perfect to me! My wife has thought that I am nuts for a while with these shoes.

-Mike

sacafotos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Found the laces! Not sure about the fit. Laces are 9/64" but I need to measure the dalton eyelets. Am out of town right now...so if anyone can measure theirs I'd be grateful.

bucksfan

Reaction score

Received my Shell Cambridge yesterday. Can't see why they were seconds. They are stunning. I've been brushing them like crazy - my wife thinks I'm obsessed. These are easily my favorite AEs so far.

Great deal for the $299 shell 2nds sale a couple of weeks ago.

Got Black Cambridges from that sale as well. Look perfect to me! My wife has thought that I am nuts for a while with these shoes.

-Mike

Congrats! I got my black shell Cambridges last week, and just got my burgundy shell park aves yesterday. Lots of brushing while watching breaking bad last night (dvr'd). My wife gave up on me long ago.

Today: burgundy shell Bradley.

Last edited:

JezeC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Guys,

I just received a great pair of Macneil shells seconds from the outlet (looks great and no creaes). For some reason, the right shoe fits perfectly but the left shoe is a bit uncomfortable on the side of my foot because of slight bump inside the shoe. I would love to keep the shoe if I can somehow rectify this problem. Are there any methods for this? Thanks.

AdamAdam

Reaction score
Guys,

I just received a great pair of Macneil shells seconds from the outlet (looks great and no creaes). For some reason, the right shoe fits perfectly but the left shoe is a bit uncomfortable on the side of my foot because of slight bump inside the shoe. I would love to keep the shoe if I can somehow rectify this problem. Are there any methods for this? Thanks.

If you mean a bump under the ball of your foot, I have the exact same problem. I find that the bump does go down a little over time but not completely. For me, I believe this is due to my left foot being a little longer than my right and the shape of the show just fitting differently on each foot. The bump on the ball of my foot pushes the small toe up just a bit causing it to hit the upper of the shoe. I ended up going up a width and even though it's technically a little big on the right foot it fits the left better and is the best middle ground for me. My experience is on the 5 last BTW, not the Macneil (7). If you meant a bump on the side of the shoe, I don't have that issue.

evolved

Reaction score
So, I went and got fitted in the MacNeil at my local AE store....10.5B. They didn't have that size in the MacNeil, but they did in a tassel loafer on the same last. The one thing I noticed while having the D-width MacNeil on was that it looked suuuuper wide compared to the B-width shoe on my other foot. I realize that the double oak sole adds some "heft" to the shoe, and that it will likely be less tank-like in the appropriate width.

Now, to my main question. I'm strongly considering a cordovan MTO MacNeil similar to GOP Shoe Guy (and others)....it'll be in cappuccino or dark brown shell. Will going with a regular sole, as opposed to the double oak, look out of place or inadequate on a shoe like this?

I'm wanting the shoe to be mainly a casual shoe....jeans, chinos, etc. but they will get some occasional wear when I get to dress business casual (think grey, navy, tan slacks). I think a natural welt will be too casual, so I was thinking chili. Is there an option in between those two?

cincikid

Reaction score
I checked out the suede Strands at the AE store in New York this weekend. I was disappointed by the quality of the leather. It's hard to convey what I mean, but it was not as nice and subtle a suede as on my Amoks or Neumoks. Instead, it was somewhat "disheveled," for a lack of a proper word, as if someone kept brushing it for a while. Perhaps it was an idiosyncrasy of the two pairs on display that I've seen, but the resulting look was not very neat.

I was really hoping that in terms of quality, the Strands would be similar to my very Strand-looking Church's in chocolate suede (pictured below), but they unfortunately fall short.

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I checked out the suede Strands at the AE store in New York this weekend. I was disappointed by the quality of the leather. It's hard to convey what I mean, but it was not as nice and subtle a suede as on my Amoks or Neumoks. Instead, it was somewhat "disheveled," for a lack of a proper word, as if someone kept brushing it for a while. Perhaps it was an idiosyncrasy of the two pairs on display that I've seen, but the resulting look was not very neat.

I was really hoping that in terms of quality, the Strands would be similar to my very Strand-looking Church's in chocolate suede (pictured below), but they unfortunately fall short.

Interesting. I was looking at a pair at my local AE store yesterday and did not see any issues with the quality of the suede. I wasn't amazed by the quality, but thought it was on par with the calfskin versions. Still considering getting a pair for my next purchase.

JezeC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote:
I own a few pair of shoes from AE and my foot is definitely similar in size. Just that this particular pair, specifically the right shoe is giving me a side bump on the inside of the shoe. I'm wondering is this can be stretched out either through a cobbler or by breaking it in. The left shoe is perferct for me.

Last edited:

cincikid

Reaction score
Interesting. I was looking at a pair at my local AE store yesterday and did not see any issues with the quality of the suede. I wasn't amazed by the quality, but thought it was on par with the calfskin versions. Still considering getting a pair for my next purchase.

Maybe--and hopefully--it were just the two pairs that I saw. The suede looked very rough, almost resembling what one would call a "rough collection" suede Strand.

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maybe--and hopefully--it were just the two pairs that I saw. The suede looked very rough, almost resembling what one would call a "rough collection" suede Strand.

No, I definitely did not see anything like that. Checking out the color and the quality of the suede were the two primary reasons I ran in there.

Last edited:

Nakedsnake

Reaction score
Wondering if anyone can shed some light on insoles for me?

Normally wear a 12D in the dalton, but got a 12E in burgundy cordovan for use in winter. I thought wool socks would be enough to make up the difference, but not quite. So I'm looking for an insole to help make it a slightly more snug fit. Any recommendations?

MacktasticGDogg

Reaction score
My Spiaggias from the flash sale showed up today. I ordered my standard size and they fit very well. I really like how they look too. Certainly a winner for $118.

Now, both of my 5-lasted wingtip bals are extremely casual (the other is a pair of Neumoks). I wonder if I should go for a pair of those webgem Jeffersons???

A few quick i-pics:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads