1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tradbrah

tradbrah Senior member

I was lucky enough to score some brown shell Strand seconds. They are beautiful, but as you can see in the pictures, the right shoe is lighter than the left. I prefer the lighter color. Am I being too picky, or is this a legitimate concern? Would using Reno be able to lighten up the left shoe some? Thanks for your input and guidance.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. sacafotos

sacafotos Senior member

Call me crazy but I would leave as is. I like that effect. Anyone who understands the patina process can appreciate. A little funky. Makes for a cool conversation piece.

Raise your words, not your voice. It is rain that grows flowers, not thunder. -- Rumi

Jacket: 36S/38S.
    Shoes: 7.5EE-8.5D.

3. WICaniac

WICaniac Senior member

For those interested in the different shades of Chromexcel (with a Dublin thrown in for good measure):

Left to right: 1573 Natural Chromexcel, 3119 Golden Brown Chromexcel, 1020 Brown Chromexcel, 1608 Cognac Dublin
    (The pull-up that's obvious in the Natural is from bending the samples to take the second photo).

[​IMG]

Same samples folded over to show pull-up. Top to bottom: Natural, Golden Brown, Brown, Cognac Dublin

[​IMG]

The Natural is beautiful, but the pull-up is considerable, producing a distressed appearance in most applications. The Dublin is a bit thinner and shinier than the rest and displays the least pull-up.

4 people like this.
  4. Gianni Cerutti

Gianni Cerutti Senior member

You're right ... for me is that I prefer the natural ... these beautiful images which tell you a lot.

5. Gianni Cerutti

Gianni Cerutti Senior member

But thank you for showing all these beauties!

1 person likes this.
  6. scrolls

scrolls Senior member

Has anyone found a good belt to match AE's walnut color? I own one AE belt and am not impressed so trying to find one elsewhere. Just looking for a simple dress belt with a silver buckle. Thanks.

7. tampatravel

tampatravel Senior member

Townley Tuesday - but it feels like a Monday

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  8. BL70

BL70 Senior member

Going through the same thing right now. Purchased a tan Perry Ellis from Lord and Taylor over the weekend. Its slightly darker, but pretty close. However, I just ordered the arrow creek walnut from AE when I saw it was on sale, so plan to return the other. Were you not impressed by the color or quality of the AE belt? I had read that they weren't really worth the 100+ they charge but for 70 seemed like a decent deal.

9. Subutai

Subutai Senior member

"Shell" Townley's? MTO? They look great[​IMG]

10. halfnhalfnhalf

halfnhalfnhalf Senior member

Thanks for posting this - very illustrative.

11. halfnhalfnhalf

12. BL70

BL70 Senior member

Do you happen to have an Arrow Creek style? I was curious how it differed from the standard calf and if it could be worn either as business casual or dress.

13. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

The quality of the AE dress belts is very nice. The usual knock on the AE dress belts is that they are fairly wide and not as elegant as choices available from other sources. I have a few of the AE wide dress belts and they do not get extensive wear as I tend to prefer the belts I've purchased from Brooks Brothers for roughly the same price ($80-90). I'm also in a suit several days a week, which is why I prefer a slimmer dress belt.

As for OP's question, I would look at some of the affiliate vendors, Meermin or C&J (ordering directly from the UK).

14. tampatravel

They are from the "Style Forum Enabler Collection" actually. [​IMG] I was browsing on here one morning when word that the Cleveland AE store had Shell Townley's for $299. I called and I got 'em!

15. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

I wear this deerborn wait belt w my kennies. Seems to match well enough.

[​IMG]

16. scrolls

scrolls Senior member

I only own one AE belt (a black classic wide or w/e it's called) and it started cracking after only a few wears. Compare that to Trafalgar belts that I own and there's no cracking after ~2 years of wear. Unfortunately they don't have a walnut color that I think would match.

17. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

Woot! Shaker Heights MTO passed inspection and on its way! Hopefully we'll get a stretch if good weather this weekend so I can enjoy it!

18. tampatravel

19. WICaniac

WICaniac Senior member

Does anyone own a shoe in the cognac Dublin? Can anyone comment on its water resistance vis-a-vis Chromexcel? I may run a test regardless....

20. halfnhalfnhalf

Funny how some people say the same thing about AE shoes (e.g., too "blobby").

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.