Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cincikid

cincikid Senior member

My preference depends on the situation. I do like both (though I think I like Bluchers/Derbys better and I also think they are more versatile), but as a rule of thumb, I prefer Bals when I am dressing up, and Bluchers when I am dressing down.

2. tampatravel

tampatravel Senior member

BOOM! Some RenoMat and a very very light dusting of some Alden Paste Wax. These really pop now when they used to just look pedestrian.

[​IMG]

3. delmar

delmar Senior member

I have a pair of tan/navy Finch and I get more compliments from women on that pair than any other pair of shoes that I own. What I think it is, is that women around my age and older--women over 45 years old--associate saddle shoes with cheerleaders. Something about saddle shoes just resonates with women. I'd get them if I were you.

4. BigRob

BigRob Senior member

Just bought the AE Bayfield in Burnished Brown from Lands' End.

[​IMG]

http://www.landsend.com/products/mens-allen-edmonds-bayfield-captoe-boots/id_228873

How should I protect these boots? I plan to wear them to work when it rains/snows. The upper is made out of chromexcel leather (at least, I think it is - the site does not specify and I'm assuming all Bayfields are the same). AE Aqua-Care Cream, which AE recommends for the boot, seems to have been discontinued; it's not sold on the website. I found some third party sites selling it, though.

Also, is it worth it to buy a pair of boot trees or will AE shoe trees do the trick?

Last edited: Sep 16, 2013
  5. Roycru

Roycru Senior member

No, you're not the only one.

6. AdamAdam

AdamAdam Senior member

Thank you. Maybe I'll just go with some kind of overshoe and then not have to really worry about it too much. That way if I go for the Dalton, I don't need to get a custom sole. I do still want something like the Bayfields for the days when I'm going meeting to meeting or to dinner/drinks and just don't want to mess with overshoes. Since Lands End seems to be the only place that sells them still, I went to their website and searched for retail locations near me and all I got was Sears. I popped into one of them today quickly and didn't see them selling any Lands End shoes - just some linens and other clothes.

Any way to try these things on? Maybe I'll just order and return if they don't fit. I wear 8E in the 1-last and recently tried on a pair of Dalton at Nordstrom in 8.5D and they were big. However, I understand that the Bayfield has the poron insole that makes them fit more snug. I wonder if 8.5D would fit me in this case?

7. rydenfan

rydenfan Senior member

I wear an 8E in the Dalton and an 8.5 in the Bayfield. I prefer the fit of the 8E slightly but the 8.5D with the poron insole is a good fit and should work well for you

8. salgy

salgy Well-Known Member

Nope... 25 pairs of AE & I don't own 1 derby

9. spitshine123

spitshine123 Senior member

You guys must not have high insteps. Balmorals are much sleeker, I do agree, but they are much harder to dress down IMO.

10. mdubs

mdubs The Mayor of Aldensville

I am a huge Oxford fan and only get Derbies when necessary (I.e. LWBs...)

11. AdamAdam

AdamAdam Senior member

Cool, lots in common then. Maybe I'll try the 8.5 and if it doesn't work I can always return them. If you don't mind me asking, what size are you on the 5 last? I'm 7.5EE and even think I could go that size on the 1 but 8E works.

12. dapperdoctor

dapperdoctor Senior member

Yea...crappy i-phone pic. Still though, I need to work them out and lighten them up a bit.

13. masernaut

masernaut Senior member

Only the brown Bayfield is made of CXL. CXL is a very resilient form of leather that will stand up to nearly everything you throw at it. Check out Cold Iron's pictures of his pair to see what I mean.
    All you really need to take care of the uppers are polish (AE's polish or brown Kiwi wax will be fine) and a horsehair brush (if you do not already have one). At the end of the day or when you get to work, wipe off any snow/salt/mud etc. off the uppers of the boot.

I use shoe trees in my boots and they do the trick; but it does leave the shaft of the boot wrinkly from normal wear. If that bothers you, feel free to get a boot tree.

14. mimo

mimo Pernicious Enabler

$99! I don't think I've ever been more delighted with a new pair of shoes.

[​IMG]

15. GOP Shoe Guy

GOP Shoe Guy Senior member

Recently there was some discussion regarding black shell, and why anyone would want black shell. They have an amazing luster to them. I work my black shell park aves yesterday and shot a iphone pic. I meant to post yesterday but forgot till just now. I love my black shells.
    [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.