1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. andrew4h

andrew4h Active Member

Any thoughts on pairing the Flat Iron in Walnut with Navy and/or Grey suits? Besides not being a balmoral, think the toe is too ornate for suits?

2. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

Would depend on the context. For a party or an informal wedding, sure. In a conservative work context, no. The walnut color and the design of those shoes are both pretty informal and a little more on the fun side.

3. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Senior member

Unless you work in a conservative environment, I do not think it will be an issue. The blucher style, walnut color, and brogue pattern makes it a casual shoe yet I see guys walking around in driving loafers with suits.

4. kimchijajonshim

kimchijajonshim Active Member

Any tips on getting these on sale? Particular retailers I should be checking out or sales they might have at their own stores? I need a pair of good dress shoes for interviews and formal functions and these seem to be the consensus pick for value-minded quality. I'm not sure pressed right now so I'd rather not pay full retail, if I could get a pair of Kenilworths or Park Aves for under $250 in the next several months, I'd be stoked.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2012
  5. Onlyoneoklahoma

Onlyoneoklahoma Active Member

I have a quick question. I am returning a pair of snuff suede players shoes because the shoe it too narrow.

Right now I have:
    Walnut: Dalton boot and Strand
    Brown: Delray
    Burgundy shell cordovan: Leeds and Cambridge.

Should I go ahead and order a wider players shoe? Or get the Bradley in Burgundy shell? Sadly I missed a steal on brown shell cordovan strands.

His is probably the last time I buy shoes for a few months, and I really like the way the burgundy shell looks, but I don't know if I am too plain.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

6. Winston S.

Winston S. Senior member

Follow this thread and try and keep your wallet close and shut. This thread tends to empty wallets. I think my wallet is about $800 lighter in the past 4 weeks (MacNeils, Fifth Streets, and Strands).

7. patrick_b

patrick_b Senior member

I found a pretty significant defect in my factory 2nd Leeds and ended up returning them today to a standard/non-outlet AE store. I'd planned on exchanging them with another pair of 1st quality Leeds but the SA indicated that the Leeds weren't one of the cordovan models on sale for $399. So I'll have another pair of factory 2nds shipped to me.

[​IMG]

It's too bad as I loved the shoe and they fit great. I even had them looking pretty good with a bit of Renovateur and a lot of brushing! Note, this is the first real issue I've ever had with a pair of AE 2nds. Not sure how I missed this at the store.

[​IMG]

8. reidrothchild

reidrothchild Senior member

I found the most significant problem yet with my Randolph cordovan seconds. On the toe stitching, there are about three places on each shoe where the finish is chipped slightly at the stitch. You have to look for it to notice, and most people obviously will not be examining the shoes as closely as I did upon receiving something designated as a factory reject, but it's definitely the most significant defect I've found to date. I emailed a picture to customer service asking if this would affect the upper or if the problem would get worse over time. They responded that it should not get worse and that, if it did, they'd "stand behind the shoe." I think I'm keeping them because they don't have any other Randolph seconds in my size. The problem doesn't bother me that much given the $275 discount, and I assume it can be remedied upon refinishing the first time I have them recrafted. The only other burgundy cordovan second they have in my size is the Leeds. I already have the Malvern, which I think fills the same hole in my wardrobe that I'd use the Leeds for. I just don't see the Leeds as sleek enough to wear with suits. But anyway, I think that, given the high cost of cordovan, AE probably only designates legit screw-ups as seconds when it comes to cordovan.

9. facet

facet Senior member

I got a question as I'm slowly building my shoe collection and phasing out my old cheapies. I currently have the PA in merlot, and Parliament in saddle brown for my office shoes. I was thinking, as my next shoes of getting the Mcallister and some type of plain toe. What do you think of these choices?

Mcallister in Walnut
    Boston (black)
    Maybe get the Strands in Brown in the future

or

Mcallister in Black
    Some type of Brown alternative like the Norwich
    Maybe get the Strands in Walnut in the future

10. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

Reading this thread over the past few weeks, the general consensus seems to be:

1) Too many first quality shoes leaving the factory have noticeable defects; and

2) The defects on the seconds seem to be much worse than what many of us remember in the past.

Stated another way, it appears many of the old slight defect seconds are being sold as firsts and the remaining seconds are the ones with the more obvious and noticeable defects. I wonder if this is a new trend that will continue.

11. deveandepot1

deveandepot1 Senior member

How much would cutting and sewing the uppers in the US really add to the cost?

12. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Senior member

Depends in part on what state the manufacturing takes place, labor laws, unionization, etc.

Why doesn't Apple assemble iPads/iPhones in the US? There are competitive advantages to outsourcing labor to foreign countries. AE as a brand endures in part because it is cheaper than Alden/C&J/Trickers/etc.

That is to say, if US manufacturing narrows the price gap between AE and it's chief competitors consumers are just as likely to trade down to a cheaper brand or switch to another brand at a similar price point. $400 for an AE or $460 for a comparable Alden? I'd buy the Alden in most cases. Sorry.

13. CJG_NYC

CJG_NYC Senior member

I was in an AE store this weekend in Manhattan and was told that the Snuff Suede Players are discontinued. Any truth to this?

To follow up on my posts a few pages back -- I pulled this trigger this weekend on a pair of Neumoks in Navy Blue. Unfortunately, because of my size I had to order online so I'll hopefully have them within a week or so. I'll be sure to post real-life pics.

Edited to add:
    I am really digging the new 333 last. The Flatiron and Larchmont were really nice. I'm a bit on the fence about the Rutledge. I think I was expecting to love it a lot more than I did, but there was something about it that didnt make me drool.

However, speaking of drooling, those Cordovan Strands (that someone posted above) are even more gorgeous in person.

Also - the store had very limited sizing available on the 333 last so I was unable to get fitted properly. I'm in the market for another pair of dark brown shoes and was thinking of holding out for the Neumoras in a few weeks, but after seeing those Cordovan strands I'm having a hard time! The only thing holding me back is the fact that I already have a pair of Strands (walnut calf).

14. reidrothchild

Totally agree with this analysis. If moving production totally to the U.S. added only 15-20% to the cost of AE that would put them within striking distance of too many better-regarded brands. To me, this is demonstrated by comparing their current cordovan offerings to competitors. The uppers for their cordovan shoes are manufactured entirely in the U.S. by Horween. With them moving to only doing cordovans as custom make-ups in the future (presumably drying up the stream of cheap 2nds), you have to compare the $575 retail price of cordovan firsts to the likes of Carmina and Alden. Both manufacturers offer more styles and colors of cordovan. For that reason alone, leaving quality aside, if I were spending approx. $600 on cordovan shoes, there's virtually no chance I'd go with AE. In fact, I can't see why anyone will pay $575 for a shoe they can't try on first and will have to wait 3-5 weeks for when they could order a cheaper cordovan shoe from Carmina's website and have it sooner.

15. AML225

AML225 Senior member

All my new AE shoes should be here tomorrow, can't wait. One more question about the Walnut Strands... Seeing as they're a lighter colored shoe (and I typically stick to darker shoes) should I buy a belt that matches the color as close as possible or should I find a darker brown belt so there's not a high contrasting line right across my waist?

16. plei89

plei89 Senior member

I think you're missing something... Why would moving production into the United States increase quality? The root problem of defects is not caused by the location where they are constructed, but it lies deeper within their processes. Wish I was their operations manager, would be a fun job.

17. AML225

AML225 Senior member

Hey guys- my new shoes should be here tomorrow. I'm wondering if I should find a belt that really closely matches my walnut strands or if I should get a darker brown belt? I'm worried a high contrast belt will really stick out and divide my body.

18. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Senior member

What divides your body is the contrast between your shirt and your trousers.

19. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Senior member

I see a non matching belt with light brown shoes often and to me it sticks out, in a bad way. Most department stores have a varied selection although some what limited in color of belts. I ended up picking up 2 separate brown belts at Macy's and they matched both my walnut McAllister and Cascade's perfectly, for a total of $40 on sale. Once my weight stabilizes I will spend money on decent belts, I am ready to punch holes in both belts already.

20. reidrothchild

I must be missing something because I don't recall ever suggesting that moving production to the U.S. would increase quality. Perhaps you're referring to my statement about moving to within striking distance of other brands? I meant price-wise. The point of my cordovan example was that AE's calf offerinsg are currently a value proposition at a unique price point and that they can't afford to increase their cost because they would then be competing with higher quality makers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.