Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mloboe

mloboe Member

That's cool, I really like them. Only come in D widths though, so I had to size up to accommodate my wide feet

2. ryansto

ryansto Well-Known Member

If they have the last, you probably can. I know you can't have them make it on a different last (ie the 5 last that is availabe in EE). Should be pretty easy to get an answer from them on this.

3. ryansto

Yep. IMO, the webgem is really worth it if you do the Jefferson, as this will be the only opportunity to get a Jefferson in shell. The other models are available at any time, in normal production.

4. delmar

delmar Senior member

I don't know anything about Fairfaxes, but I own three pairs of Mctavishes--natural wax infused, black wax infused, and brown distressed. My shoe size is 12E. I went with 11.5E for all three pairs. I got a really nice fit with the black and the natural, but the brown distressed is just a little on the snug side. I almost wish that I had gone true-to-size with the brown distressed.

5. cincikid

cincikid Senior member

Out of 11 pairs of my Allen Edmonds and several Aldens, Yuketens and Trickers none has received more compliments in just one day then the "rough" MacNeils I got off eBay two weeks ago (brand new but with a few nicks). I guess it's the contrast between the uppers and the welt, as well as the laces and brass eyelets that make them really eye-catching. Given this "success", I am thinking of getting an MTO pair in brown cordovan with the chili welt, similar to the GOP's pair. Given that I have also preordered Alden LWB in tobacco calf (can be cancelled),do you think MacNeil in cordovan would be an overkill?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. ryansto

That's the real question: What shoes are you normally a 9-9.5 in? The McTavish is going to run larger than the fairfax, since it is a distressed cowhide, not a supple calfskin. Cowhide doesn't hold to the last as closely when stretched over (similar to cordovan fitting slightly larger than calf). Also, the McTavish has a double-oak sole, which means you'll have some heel-slip for a while longer if you buy it too large. If your Fairfaxes are 8D, I would guess you will be a 7.5D in the McTavish.

7. delmar

delmar Senior member

[​IMG]
    When are you going to see a deal like that again? Do it!

8. ryansto

Those look stellar!! Congrats!

Was the contrasting stitching, rather than tone-on-tone, your design or did they take the liberty of doing that?

Nevermind... I see you got them off eBay. I thought they were a Paul MTO. Great looking, nonetheless!

Last edited: Sep 15, 2013

9. cincikid

cincikid Senior member

Thanks! They were a webjem circa the end of 2011, but if I were to order an MTO, I'd choose something similar, probably with the contrast stitching as well, and definitely with the chili welt and brass eyelets.

10. wurger

wurger Senior member

Mike, lovely care you have give to your shoes!

11. mmmtttt

mmmtttt Senior member

Anyone has experience with the Amok ? Looking at a size comparison with the 5 last, not too sure if I should size up, width up or just take the same size.

12. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

The webgem offer will expire when the sale starts.

13. Larson McCord

Larson McCord Senior member

Th
    ey really need to make these a regular part of their lineup. Just a great looking shoe.

14. ckylegrimes

ckylegrimes New Member

Thanks, that's good info. I was a bit surprised by the stark contrast in sizing from my normal casual shoes, like vans. The fairfaxes are my first pair of nicer dress shoes, the next nicest would be like some Eccos that I used to wear, and I wear like a 9.5-10 in those too. Onteresting

15. tietherope

tietherope Senior member

But my point is that the Strand shell is usually what, $595? Take off 15% for the sale and you end up with $505.75, which is cheaper than the webgem.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.