Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Senior member

Received my burgundy shell Bradley’s last night. Nice, very nice. Just as I hoped they are more burgundy than my burgundy shell Leeds which are much more brown than red. After more than 3 years the Leeds had nice white creases until I put Reno on them last week. But still are pretty nice in their own right.

Can not Special Order the Limited Edition through the Military Exchange. Oh well a man shouldn’t spend all of his money on Shell footwear, fine double guns, brown likker, and women anyhow. He should save some to spend foolishly… .

So I just talked to the AE store a couple of hours away from where I live and she said they do not have any of the LE in yet but are hoping to get something for display soon. She offered to bring in a Malvern by this weekend in my size and says that the Dundee is identical in looks and fit. Checking out the last sizes guess that would be true. But already owning Leeds, Shelton, Wilbert, Dalton, Bayfield, and now the Bradley in the 1-511 last know there can be some variation in fit on the same last. Think it is time for a road trip this weekend.

2. ElDave

ElDave Senior member

Can you share some pics of the Bradley and worn-in Leeds?

3. froyz25

froyz25 Member

I have a question. I bought a pair of walnut players at nordstroms 10.5 D which feel tight. Unfortunately these shoes only come in EEE width as the next width up. How big is the difference in widths? I see that Allen edmonds claims 3/16th of an inch per width. This would make it a little over half of an inch. Would that make it too loose if I size down to a 10 EEE ? All help is appreciated bc I would have to get them shipped and there are no Allen edmonds near me. Thanks in advance

4. Superfluous

Superfluous Senior member

I think it would be too wide. I find loafers very sensitive to widths as you can't simply tie them down. Have you considered stretching them? Stretch them out and if they don't work just return them to Nordstrom as they don't have a return policy I've heard (haven't tried).

Edit: never mind, for some reason I had loafers in my head but I don't think the players are loafers. In that case, try them.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2012

5. Superfluous

Superfluous Senior member

I'd be careful with assuming that the Dundee and Malvern fit the same. A lot of people, including me, think they fit narrow and short compared to others on the same last. I'd try contacting someone in manufacturing about comparative shoes.

6. froyz25

froyz25 Member

Well these are bluchers, that's why I wanted to see if it would make a significant difference since I am sizing down a bit

7. Joenobody0

Joenobody0 Senior member

I'm picky about fit. One width difference can make a shoe unwearable for me. I can't imagine it would work for you.

8. froyz25

froyz25 Member

Yea I agree about the fit needing to be spot on. But I really really like these shoes, and thus I will have to make them work. My problem is that when the shoe is on w no pressure on the foot (weight) the shoe fits nice and snug as I think it should feel when pressure is applied. However when I put pressure on the shoes, such as walking and standing, I notice the area by the ball
    of my feet are extremely tight within the shoe. As I am constantly standing still in place I feel like I need a wider shoe. Thanks for the help guys.

9. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Senior member

Edit changed to hopefully a better picture.
    Just did the Leeds last week with Reno so they don't exactly look too worn, that stuff works great.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 22, 2012

10. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Senior member

Thanks and I agree, that seems to be a common theme for the Malvern from what I have read. When she said would get a pair of Malvern in for me to size I almost said don't bother.

11. mikeman

mikeman Senior member

What do you guys think of the Elgin?

[​IMG]

12. usctrojans31

usctrojans31 Senior member

The 7 last is narrower in the toe box than the 5 last, which runs overall narrower.

13. bl@ster

[email protected] Senior member

Beautiful shoe. I recommend a pair.

14. 9 Iron

9 Iron Member

Gorgeous! I was torn and almost bought these, but in the end I went with the Mctavish in natural wax infused leather. I felt that the wingtip would work better than the cap toe with the jeans and chinos that I usually wear, and I couldn't justify buying both. I do love the style of the Elgin, but the strands look like they would make for a better choice for a dressier alternative when the natural wax infused shoe doesn't quite fit with a suit or more formal dress. The cordovan Strands may be calling to me next.....

15. dieselman89

dieselman89 Senior member

Does anyone wear walnut Lombards or Strands with slim jeans? Does this look work well??

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.