1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. plei89

plei89 Senior member

You can wear any type of pants to match walnut strands, it's a pretty versatile shoe. The only color I would wear with them is brown, IMO.

You could check your local department store to find matching belts... I don't think it's too hard to find a light brown color. I find maroon harder to find.

2. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Senior member

Stay with SF long enough, and you will have a new definition for "expensive shoes" (i.e. not Allen Edmonds).

3. plei89

plei89 Senior member

:lol: cause it's true. Although I'll stick with AEs for my everyday shoes.

When I can afford John Lobbs, those will be my special occasion shoes.

4. herrmj

herrmj Senior member

Try Epaulet's slim walt trousers: http://www.epauletshop.com/servlet/the-Mens-Clothing-cln-Trousers/Categories

5. patrick_b

patrick_b Senior member

I just knew you'd notice that [​IMG].

6. sartorialnoob

sartorialnoob Well-Known Member

What do you use for the edge of the sole? I'll admit to touching up the black edge with sharpie, but I also have a brown edge on my Strands. What's best to use?

7. patrick_b

patrick_b Senior member

http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline/producti_SF574_1_40000000001_-1

This appears to be the travel size bottle. I have two larger 4oz bottles with sponge applicator. One in brown and another in black. A bottle will last a lifetime.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 25, 2012
  8. inkredible

inkredible New Member

I've been buying shoes on the 5 last in a 13D, but after bumping into a pair of 14B Van Ness in Chili for $159, I think that might be my size because it remedied 2 issues I've had with AE Bals: with the ankles being too big and the quarters not closing completely, or snugly enough.

Unfortunately this happened after I just bought walnut Strands and took them to the shoemaker to have them shined and taps put on the sole and heel.

Sadly, might have to let those and a few other pairs go. I'm going to try on the 14 again. If there isn't too much room in the toe box, i'm getting rid of the Strands, if anyone is interested, especially in NYC.

9. deveandepot1

deveandepot1 Senior member

Nop, the uppers are made in the Dominican Republic.
    I don't mind, I just don't like how they say made in the USA. The most significant part of the shoe is the uppers. They should say made in the Dominican Republic.

10. LoblawNYC

LoblawNYC Member

Hey guys,

I'm new to AE shoes and having a Hell of a time getting a good fit in any last. I went into the AE store at Rockefeller Center and was fitted for a pair of Park Avenues in 7D [every pair of common mall shoes I've ever owned has been in an 8]. The shoes feel perfect when laced very loosely, leaving a V that's probably one and a half inches thick at the top. They can be laced to look appropriately, but this puts a lot of pressure on the foot, causing pain at the first joint of the big toe and on the sides of the foot. I went back into the store after a couple days of wear, as they failed to stretch, and the salesman felt around and insisted that the fit was optimal. They didn't have a 7E in stock, and I didn't insist on them ordering a pair after he balked at the notion of me needing an E for the presumably narrow width of my foot. They've been sitting in the back of my closet unwearable for a couple of months now.

My second experiment was to try a pair of Malverns, which I ordered in 7D and 7.5D to compare. The 7 feels fine, except it's a little narrow on my pinkie toe, forcing it against my fourth toe painfully. The 7.5 alleviates this, but the arch support is clearly too far forward, as it buries into the ball of my foot a bit, making it feel like I have a marble in my shoe.

I think I need a 7E in both, but I've now had two sales associates who measured me on a brannock and insisted that I have a relatively narrow foot and that an E wouldn't fit me. If they're right, I'm guessing that AEs just aren't made to fit me. Any of you more knowledgeable in the mysteries of AE fit have advice?

11. sns23

sns23 Senior member

They are made to lace that way. Going up in width is not going to change that.

12. LoblawNYC

LoblawNYC Member

Fair enough. I was assuming the gap was excessive from threads I've read here, but I know absolutely nothing about real shoes.

13. harlequin782

harlequin782 Senior member

I find it slightly disappointing to learn that Allen Edmonds arent entirely made in the U.S. All the rhetoric about pricepoints and value to quality ratios sound very reasonable and understandable to me, and I suppose this revelation doesnt change anything, but for some reason, I had been led to believe that all parts of the shoes were made in the U.S. as opposed to some mass production 3rd world sweatshop.

14. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Senior member

There is really no substitute for trying numerous shoes in various sizes. I tried on nine or ten pairs of Park Avenues, and I'm still not entirely sure about the fit. At the end of the day, you have to put some mileage on the shoe and see how you feel,but you want to get as close as possible. To put it perspective, I was measured twice by the sales staff as an 11C. I measured myself as an 11C using the AE fit guide (download online). I now wear an 11.5C in the Park Avenue. It's the best balance so far between heel and toe fit. If I'm not true-to-size (TTS), I would say it has to do with the shape of my foot (low arch etc.). The brannock only measures your foot in overall length and ball width.

Try Nordstrom. I purchased and exchanged a few pairs to dial in my size. They have a generous return policy.

15. patrick_b

patrick_b Senior member

Thanks for the link & info.

My initial reaction was disappointment as well. However after re-reading the CEO's post and allowing time to pass from that gut reaction, it doesn't bother me as much. I find AE shoes to offer a good value to quality ratio and the fact that some operations are located off shore doesn't change my perception of value to quality.I was encouraged by the comment that DR operations consist of AE employees at an AE owned plant. Manufacturing is not farmed out to a 3rd party or a subcontracting arrangement.

If I had to pay more for a completely US made AE shoe, I'm not sure the value would be the same.

16. LoblawNYC

LoblawNYC Member

Thanks for the advice. In the future, I'll definitely deal with Nordstrom. At present, I guess I'll return the Malverns, decide whether to keep or ebay the PAs, and hope Nordstrom runs the $200 Strands sale again this summer.

17. plei89

plei89 Senior member

Anyone interested in Brand New size 8.5EE or 8.5EEE Walnut Mcallisters - marked as seconds but looks like firsts, no major issues. For $160 shipped.

18. jeust0999

jeust0999 Member

Thanks. I decided to order the Jeffersons in walnut in 8E from a local Nordstrom... if that doesn't fit I might have to make a long trip to an AE store.

19. jeust0999

jeust0999 Member

Thanks for the info.

20. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Senior member

[​IMG] Cambridge in Burgundy Shell Cordovan Pretty much first quality to my other AEs (actually better than some of my calf shoes)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.