Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bucksfan

bucksfan Senior member

I'd use a separate brush.

2. Nakedsnake

Nakedsnake Senior member

Another cordovan question here. Picked up my Burgundy Shell daltons today, and overall, I am very very pleased with them. I do, however, think that they look a little bit lack luster right now. Not very much in the way of a shine on them, I might even describe them as dull.

Should I use the AE cordovan cream I got with them right away (ie, before or after first wearing) or should I just wear them out a bit first? I am looking to get a little bit more of a shine on them. I have already worn them around the house a little bit, and put about an hour of brushing into them.

3. BootSpell

BootSpell Senior member

I have these boots as well and love them. I haven't worn them too many times and they definitely have more of a matte finish than say Alden #8. There've been lots of discussions about AE shell vs Alden shell. I personally am not one that likes really shiny boots so I haven't tried to improve the shine on them.

Read back through this thread or maybe the Official Shoe Care Thread. Some have used Renomat or just Reno multiple times to get the polish that AE uses off the shell. Just to strip it all off and then apply their own polish to improve the shine.

If you're patient, I think they'll get shinier as you wear them and brush them continuously. That's what happened to my walnut shell Daltons.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2013

4. bucksfan

bucksfan Senior member

A pic might help. I use a damp rag followed by brushing for new shell. I repeat until no more color comes off on the rag. If after that it needs some more shine, you then start adding very small amounts of polish or one of the creams meant for shell.

5. dahl5yankees

dahl5yankees Senior member

I picked up a pair of AE shoes
    and wondered if they're Shell Cordovan.

Belgium model plain toe oxfords

Anyone know if this model was Shell?

6. mezentius

mezentius Senior member

Hi all;

Just bought a pair of Chukkamoks in Navy on clearance from the webstore, very comfy and I'm quite happy with the styling, not to mention the price. So happy that I went back and looked for a pair in tan leather as well - but they were out of my size, 10.5 D. Does anyone know if they'll restock or if there are viable alternatives?

7. tifosi

tifosi Tire Kicker

I use separate brushes for polish and no polish. I have separate brushes for light and dark shell as well.
    I would pick up some bushes, personally.

8. Shiny

Shiny Senior member

Those are sweet. Double sole? However, I did some digging and they don't come in brown. Just black and walnut. I think that AEs walnut looks too orangy. I'd even take some lighter brown like chestnut or something. Any other candidates?

9. cbtaylor

cbtaylor Senior member

Probably not, maybe call an outlet and see if there is a 2nd available

10. rydenfan

rydenfan Senior member

E brushes are $10. Buy a few and label them with duct tape; that's what I do...

11. drbhrb

drbhrb Well-Known Member

I have 2 brushes now - one for browns and one black. But I'll have to grab another for shell

12. kwhitelaw

kwhitelaw Senior member

speaking of AE brushes.. got two in the mail the other day, first time using them. both immediately hazed over whichever shoe I used them on. My Star brush came back through and shined them up, but its almost like the AEs have something on the bristles?

am I just defective when it comes to brushes [​IMG]

13. AdamAdam

AdamAdam Senior member

What color and size are the Daltons you're looking to sell?

Last edited: Sep 14, 2013

14. dslonghorn4

dslonghorn4 Senior member

No use a separate brush.

15. masernaut

masernaut Senior member

Brush, brush, brush, brush, brush, brush, brush, brush, brush, brush. Take a quick rest. Brush, brush, brush, brush, brush, brush, brush. Rinse and repeat.
    This is the long method.
    The shorter method is to pick up Renomat and Renovateur and use the two in conjunction to remove AE's finish.

You will rarely ever need to use wax or cream on your shells. Use them only to cover up scratches or bruises on the leather. If you put wax/cream on the shell, it will simply add more polish you will eventually need to brush out. I also find that AE cordovan cream is finicky; either it doesn't stick to the leather or it stains it so it becomes very hard to take off.

As far as I know, Belgium was not available in shell.

Not necessary. It is fine to use the same brush on calf and shell.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.