Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MoneyWellSpent

MoneyWellSpent Senior member

2. tifosi

tifosi Tire Kicker

3. cincikid

cincikid Senior member

Someone asked for the pictures of the chocolate calf Daltons before they go back to the Shoebank. I can't find any visible flaw in them, to be honest. If someone is interested, I will be happy to pass them at the paid price (size 9.5D
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

).

4. cincikid

cincikid Senior member

I was looking myself at the Bayfields last night but did not pull the trigger. What's the general opinion of this boot?

5. mikeharo

mikeharo Senior member

The flaw could be the tongue on the right boot. It might not stay centered and over time might ride to the right. This happened with my first quality Daltons. The options were: deal with it or have the cobbler stitch the tongue in place. I decided to deal with it and adjust through the day because the boot can be difficult to get into with the tongue stitched in place.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2013
  6. fiestaplatypus

fiestaplatypus Senior member

Very nice looking rugged boot. That said, the poron insole can cause some sizing issues due to it raising the foot, especially in the toebox. I ended up selling mine due to the constant blisters I received on the tops of my toes and the pinching to the pinky toe. Basically, it was as if the shoe fit like a smaller size since my foot was brought closer to the sloped portions at the top and sides of the toebox. This was a size 13D. My 5 last size is 12.5E...but these felt like a 12 or 11.5D.

7. AdamAdam

AdamAdam Senior member

I was in my local AE store recently and the salesman was wearing them with jeans and a blazer and I thought they looked great. I could pull them off in the office for business casual especially in poor weather. Living in New England, the lug rubber sole is great for wintery conditions. I'd love a pair but can't find any on the firsts or seconds market in my size.

8. fiestaplatypus

fiestaplatypus Senior member

For reference, my shell Daltons in 13D (on the same last as the Bayfield) fit huge on me, requiring very thick wool socks to even be able to wear them.

9. LeviMay

LeviMay Senior member

They're great. They shine up very well, and the lug sole isn't as aggressive as the Long Branch, for example, so you can get away with wearing them slightly more formally than a lot of boots.

10. AdamAdam

AdamAdam Senior member

All this Bayfield talk has me wondering what boot in the current lineup is good for winter and inclement weather. The Bayfield seemed like a nice combination of style and function for that situation (with the lug sole). However, I can't get anything but D widths from Lands End and I don't really see anything currently being offered by AE that fits the bill. The Long Branch seems too casual. Thoughts?

11. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

My Bayfields have served me well for winter wear for two seasons now, and have also been great companions for hunting and hiking.

[​IMG]

12. LeviMay

LeviMay Senior member

Hey, RogerP... What do you use on yours? Mine look great, but a lot different than yours. They almost seem to have reddish undertones.

13. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

Levi - I wish I could remember what I used on these - it definitely started with Saphir Renovateur - but I can't recall if I then used a Saphir cream polish or one of the AE creams.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2013
  14. SBear

SBear Senior member

The Portland boots come with a V tread tap sole. That sole can be added to the 5th Street and the Dalton. For non-brogue, the Promontory Point comes with a rubber sole. I agree that the deep lugs of the Long Branch put it a more casual place in the wardrobe.

15. cincikid

cincikid Senior member

Trickers. Seriously, their Stowe boots can be had from Sierra Trading Post at ~350 with a coupon.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.