Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MacktasticGDogg

MacktasticGDogg Senior member

I use Alden Leather Defender on all my AE shell shoes as well as Alden and Carmina shells. They are all from Horween so there's no reason why it wouldn't work on all of them. I like the results.

As for AE shell cream, I do have a jar of burgundy ones that I use on a pair of burgundy Bradleys about once a year. I use Alden paste wax or Saphir cordovan cream on the other shell colors though. I think all these products are fine and work. It just depends on what you feel like using.

2. epc2

epc2 Senior member

Hi guys,

Thinking about buying a PA from the current $199 sale , if I decide to go with shell , is there any difference in sizing? I'm no AE expert and I know some Alden models tend to be roomier in shell compared to the same model in calf.

The only AE I used to own was this pair of Mccallisters and now I'm looking for something more formal., these are 9.5EE IMO they run long and very narrow.

[​IMG]

Thanks.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2013

3. AdamAdam

AdamAdam Senior member

I've been trying to get my hands on some Bayfields and would snag them at this price but I wear an E on that last. Looks like Lands End only sells D from what I can tell. I've had no luck with the outlets either. Any other way for me to get this boot in an 8E?

4. ScottyBoy920

ScottyBoy920 Senior member

5. MoneyWellSpent

MoneyWellSpent Senior member

You know that the $199.00 price is only for calf, right?

6. chinngiskhaan

chinngiskhaan Senior member

Interesting idea I guess... But were you serious? You've had some very helpful posts in the past, but this is waaaaaaaaaaaay out there man. Along with the slippery aspect, I doubt they are anywhere near as strong as leather. Try putting your cellphone face down on a rocky parking lot surface, stepping on top of it (your whole weight of course) and rubbing it back and forth on the rocks. I'd be AMAZED if it wasn't covered in scratches. If it is strong enough to resist that sort of wear, then imagine walking on a marble or hardwood floor with a little bit of dust on it. Getting from one side of the room to the other without falling assfirst onto the floor would be quite the task. Now, you know what those things look like on your phone when they start peeling off, imagine what that would look like on your shoes. Just like they turn a good looking phone into a cheap, worn out phone, they will make your shoes look cheap and worn out too.

7. epc2

epc2 Senior member

Y

Yes I'm aware ,shell is $299 I think.

8. MoneyWellSpent

Just making sure!
    [​IMG]

9. PlaceboFX

PlaceboFX Active Member

That sale ends today, I'm pretty sure, so you should pull the trigger now if you want it.

Also I know the shell was flying off the shelves, so good luck finding your size!

Edit: I didn't notice any size difference going to shell.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2013

10. OptoDoc

OptoDoc Senior member

I'm glad I saw this post, SBear. I've been waiting on the Bayfield boots to go on sale for over a year now. With the $50 Shop Your Way Reward credit I had built up and the 3% off I get from my credit card, they will only end up costing me $218 after tax!

Thanks for the tip![​IMG]

11. GOP Shoe Guy

GOP Shoe Guy Senior member

I have never returned street worn seconds, but I did return street worn firsts. I had a pair of William Williams that were getting funny wrinkles. They just looked odd; but they fit great. I sent pictures to AE and they asked me to send them in. I figured they would recraft them and send them back. Nope, they sent me a brand new pair. The new pair in the same size fits me fine. The wrinkles look correct. There was obviously something wrong with the construction of the first shoe.

Since you have seconds, I am not sure that they would do this. I was chiming in because wanted to share my experience regarding my street worn return with everyone else. Good luck with yours...

12. shartmann

shartmann Senior member

13. V1KTA222

V1KTA222 Senior member

If you use ebates, they offer 6% cash back too. I'm not sure if that stacks on top of your credit card rewards!

14. AdamAdam

AdamAdam Senior member

Just ordered a pair of the recent Summit Ave spectator webgems in walnut/bone from the J'ville outlet using the 25% breast cancer donation coupon. Should come to $175.50 (regularly $234 for seconds) for the shoes plus $10 donation. I've been wanting a pair of spectators and almost pulled the trigger when they were webgems.

These are just MacNeils in different colors, right? I don't own anything on the 7 last yet so I went with the same size I wear in the 1 last. Hopefully they fit. Will post pictures when they arrive...

15. MoneyWellSpent

This does bring up a good point that I didn't necessarily delve into in my post from earlier today. Defects in the leather can definitely cause creasing issues that have nothing to do with proper sizing, or how your foot fills a shoe made on any given last. If there is reason to believe that the leather is showing defects, then this is a completely different issue in my opinion, and I respect AE for taking responsibility on that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.