Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bucksfan

bucksfan Senior member

Looks very nice.
    I see what you are referencing, but I will also nite that my pair of firsts has that a little also. I wouldn't worry about either "issue". Wear them in good health!

2. MacktasticGDogg

MacktasticGDogg Senior member

I think the monk strap shoes with elastic buckle strap are meant to be worn as a slip-on. I have 2 pairs of Carmina monks and 1 pair of AE monks with the elastic buckle and I always just slip them on and off. I guess they could possibly be a weak point, but it really hasn't been something that concerned me at all.

3. Fabian43

Fabian43 Senior member

Nice collection, I have several of the same pairs as you

4. Fabian43

Fabian43 Senior member

Is Dalton in shell offered in dark chocolate?

If so, trying to decide between $200 calf vs $300 shell. 13 pairs of calfs and no shells.

5. masernaut

masernaut Senior member

The Dalton is only offered in burgundy shell. You will have to start an MTO if you want the Dalton in brown shell.

Shell is... A very different leather. After owning a half-dozen pair of shells, I find my calf shoes much more versatile; in that I pamper my shells so much that I just love staring at the luster and its ability to change colour depending on the availability of light.

Shell is... addictive. For that price though... go with shell.

I am quite mad at AE right now for having this sale on shell! I can't justify any more spending for the year! Everyone here has great shells! Keep the pictures coming!

Last edited: Sep 12, 2013

6. GOP Shoe Guy

GOP Shoe Guy Senior member

I have 3 pairs of Shell Macneils. 2 of the are MTO, Both of the MTO have this issue. My black Shell Macneils are fine. I would say you are the only one that can determine whether you should keep the. If it really bothers you, it will every time you look at them. I think most people you encounter while wearing these would never look down and say wow, your eyelets don't line up.My opinion is keep them, but you must be happy with them. If it is to bothersome, send them back.

I love the burgundy Shell Macneil, I do not have this color... damn, now I want it...

7. fiestaplatypus

fiestaplatypus Senior member

I don't believe this is true. The main reason why they use elastic is that they found that using leather actually caused the strap on many shoes to tear/break over a short period of time. It seems the leather used in place of the [now] elastic was not as reliable to the constant wear and tear of putting the strap on and taking it off. I seem to recall reading this regarding the Mora/Numora. Not completely sure (and I could have just imagined this because I wasn't paying attention, as I've never been a big double monk fan).

To the OP, I would suggest that the elastic is actually much more reliable in the long run than a strip of leather would have been (at least by AE's manufacturing standards). I'm sure this could easily be replaced in the future.

8. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Senior member

Thank you for the pictures, well done and they do look great! I too wish they would have used the 5 last but for something "different" in a boot those will work IMO. I have a lot of boots but no NST yet, I think those in black shell would fill a spot in my rotation. But I just bought a new truck and need to get a topper which is 4 MTO shell boots [​IMG] and a pair of rock sliders which are yet another pair of shell boots. Hmmm if you think of all your purchases in the terms of cost of shell, then you might be addicted to shell?!

When I first got my Cascades I was extremely disappointed and my first thought was oh no, clown shoes in a boot. I wore them for a bit inside and almost tripped several times so I thought they were way too long and large. I gave them to one of my sons with a larger foot than mine to try out and he gave them back a few days later saying they were too long for him. Much to my dismay he wore them outside on pavement so I felt obligated to keep them at that point. It took several wearings and all of a sudden they seemed to fit well and even started to look normal to me. And very importantly the creasing was perfect, so I feel they really did fit correctly. They are the only footwear that my secretary has ever commented on saying they were very stylish shoes. I think the Portland boot is much along the same lines and many will find them "stylish". I would wear them inside until you can tell where the creasing is going to be and see how they feel over time especially with midweight socks. Congrats on your new boots and being the first to post pics of them on here. [​IMG] Thanks for sharing, I do appreciate it!

9. md2010

md2010 Senior member

BB and RL will be $129 ea? or 2 for $250 ?

10. T-Lama

T-Lama Active Member

They are black 8.5D Neumoras. If anyone is interested PM me.

11. cbtaylor

cbtaylor Senior member

2 for $250 is my understanding, other closeout styles will be included as well

12. MoneyWellSpent

MoneyWellSpent Senior member

I would also just recommend that you make sure you aren't drinking the Kool-Aid with the creasing concerns.

You already said that the shoes are comfortable and that they fit well during your break-in period around the house. Creases can sometimes result from an ill-fitting shoe, but a well fitting shoe can still crease in areas that you don't prefer. The number of variables that have to be considered are far to many to just pigeon hole the problem as simply being from improper fit. The shape of the last in relation to your foot shape has a major impact on how it will crease, regardless of whether you have the right size. Everyone's feet are different, so when you are buying Ready-to-Wear shoes, there are going to be innumerable results in how the look on people's feet. For the same reason you don't expect to see the exact same wrinkles in people's hands, you can't expect to see the same creases in shoes.

I'm not saying that you can't fiddle a bit with sizing to get better creasing results. Sometimes going up a length and down a width, or vice versa may help the shoe crease better while not affecting overall fit and comfort. However, don't get a shoe that doesn't fit as well simply because it creases "correctly." You won't enjoy wearing them.

I'm also saying this under the assumption that you have been measured, and that you know your proper shoe size. I know you said you bought these over the phone. If you don't know your proper size, then I'd get measured before I would start taking random guesses on which size to go with simply to get better creases.

13. MacktasticGDogg

MacktasticGDogg Senior member

Yes, when the Neumora was released, it had the faulty leather buckle strap that was replaced by the elastic in short order by AE.

I do think it's correct that monk strap shoes can be worn as a slip-on though. In fact, on the AE website, all the single and double monks are under the Loafers/Slip-ons category. I do own one pair of G&G double monks with a leather buckle strap, and I can't wear those as a slip-on as the buckle must be undone for me to be able to put it on or take it off.

14. NWTeal

NWTeal Senior member

Has anyone here used Alden leather defender on AE shell cordovan? Is it safe and does it work?

There are also mixed thoughts about the AE Shell cream. Is it worth getting?

15. SBear

SBear Senior member

Thanks to those responding to my Portland boots. Walking around the house for 20 minutes last night, it looks like they will crease perfectly. I also found myself liking them more and more each time I looked down. Again, the length isn't actually the issue, slightly longer and also slimmer gives the appearance of 'pointy-ish'. They are definitely not the excessive pointy I've seen in some shoes. They do feel great. I pulled the trigger on Lands' End Bayfields last night when I saw that they were on sale for $260. So, I may just wait for those, compare and pick one...or decide to keep both as they would fit slightly different niches for me (ah, can you hear the justification starting?).

Last edited: Sep 13, 2013

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.