1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. polojock615

polojock615 Senior member

So a show of cordovan magic. First up we have a pair of Patriots that got caught in an unexpected downpour. I brushed them as soon as I took them off, then left them to dry. They welted pretty heavily:

[​IMG]

Some reno and elbow grease later:
    [​IMG]

Next up a pair of heavily-bloomed shell Cambridges. I don't know why, but these are my worst-blooming shoes:

[​IMG]

More reno and elbow grease:
    [​IMG]

Then my shell 744s. Every time I wear them, I scuff them:
    [​IMG]

More reno and elbow grease:
    [​IMG]

The veridict? I should buy more reno. I'm almost out.

2 people like this.
  2. hp5273

hp5273 Active Member

Yes, I really like the suede Neumoks and have them in both sand and snuff.

I find that there are differences in the fit of all the 5 last shoes I have: 9.5d Mcallister and Strands in calf and shell fit perfectly while 9.5d suede Strands are a bit tighter in the toe box and 9.5d suede Neumoks are slightly long and also a bit snug in the toes. 9.5d Kenilworths in calf and shell are definitely roomier in both length and width by comparison but not to the extent that I'd go down to a 9d as I did with a pair of Mctavishes.

My 9.5d RLs fit similarly to the suede Strands: length is perfect but slightly tight in the toes.

The variations between all (ex Mctavish) are small enough that they are likely due to differences in leathers and perhaps the soles.

3. Garbage Mouth

Garbage Mouth Senior member

Hey everyone. I've a quick question about fit.

If I'm a 10.5D in Allen Edmond Park Avenues, do you think the fit would would crossover to a pair of Leeds?

The Park Avenues are on the 5-65 last while the Leeds use the 1-511 last

Can anyone chime in on this? I'd greatly appreciate it.

Allen Edmonds Park Avenue
    https://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline/producti_SF270_1_40000000001_-1_

Allen Edmonds Leeds
    https://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline/producti_SF9501_1_40000000001_-1_

AE Last information
    https://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline/AllAboutLastsView?catalogId=40000000001&langId=-1&storeId=1

4. plainnerd

plainnerd Well-Known Member

I finally bought the navy Neumoks I've been wanting. They're one of those shoes that I really wanted but couldn't actually bring myself to buy (cause, you know, navy Neumoks), but I was picking up some polish today and the SA mentioned that the outlet had them on sale. So of course I called up and they told me they were 149 and well, they're on the way. I usually try not to buy things I can't possibly think of how to pair with other clothes, but sometimes you know, it just happens.

5. chris45

chris45 Senior member

Here are my Navy Neumok's and Burgundy Shell MacNeil's I snagged during the seconds sale.. Neumok's look great other than a bit dry it appears; MacNeil's look great but appear to just have one shoe with eyelet misaligned..

Sorry for crappy phone pics (with flash)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 8, 2014
  6. pomofo

pomofo Active Member

Congratulations, and welcome to the club! Two fine choices there.

7. JJ--

JJ-- Member

Thanks! I gotta say I've had these shoes for about 2 weeks now and I've had so many compliments on them. I'm so glad I went with the Strands. Awesome shoe!

8. LEgoiste

LEgoiste Senior member

Has anyone polished their black calf AEs with merlot polish? How was the result?

9. Michael Haines

Michael Haines Senior member

No but I have with navy with great results

10. Subutai

Subutai Senior member

Maybe a 10D or 10.5C; the 5 last is narrow and slightly longer than others, especially compared to the 1 last

11. WICaniac

WICaniac Senior member

Notwithstanding the advice above, I wear both shoes in the same size. I agree that the Leeds are wider (and in my case slightly more comfortable as a consequence), but my PAs broke in nicely and I can't imagine a better all-around fit with a different size.

I have to wear dress socks with the PAs while the Leeds work with these and slightly thicker casual socks--which is just right considering the styles of the shoes.

12. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

I have 5 shoes on the 5 last (strand, kenilworth, kenilworth, mctavish, spiaggia ) and 2 shoes on the 1 last (long branch and townley) and retain the same size (10.5 3E) in all. The 1 last is definitely shorter, and my left foot gets a little snug, but not enough to go up...

13. YoungSweet

YoungSweet Senior member

Took my girlfriend a few months to get used to the look, now she loves when I have them on. Give it time JJ, the wife will soon appreciate

14. esk8mw

esk8mw Active Member

Somehow these came in today already, fit perfect and I'm pretty sure they are firsts. $167. Definite keepers.

I'll take mine toasted, multigrain bread, sharp cheddar and some grey poupon.

1 person likes this.
  15. JezeC

JezeC Senior member

Which are better quality heels? Vibram or the default heels from the Park Avenues?

My cobbler told me vibram heels are pretty much the best you can buy. What type of heels AE uses?

16. CrimLaw

CrimLaw Member

What heel dressing should I use for a pair of walnut McAllisters?

17. vinnyland

vinnyland Member

Recently picked up a pair of barely used Allen Edmond's Evanston at an estate sale. I was originally set on buying brand new Vernon's or Park Avenue's but saw them sitting there with a sticker of $30. Bought them on a whim and was surprised that AE stopped making this model. I'll try and get pictures up later tonight.

18. YoungSweet

YoungSweet Senior member

19. vinnyland

vinnyland Member

Here are my Allen Edmond's Evanston that I picked up. Can't really get a solid picture with my iPhone and the pics don't do any justice. The upper looks like it was barely even used. The insole felt flat and no imprint from the previous owner is noticeable.

These are my first AE shoes, it only had to sacrifice $30, and I know they have a recrafting service. The heels are worn as well as the sole (which still had plenty of life left). But one puzzling part was one of the soles, the stitching was missing. I wanted to know if this was a normal thing? I'll point it out below.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is what I was talking about. On the right side, the stitching is missing? Normal wear and tear piece? Time to replace soles?

[​IMG]

Plan to replace the heels through AE.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. Chicagobred

Chicagobred Well-Known Member

Does anyone own the Grayson tassel loafer? I would be interested in hearing your impressions of it, even more so if you are able to compare the sizing and fit to the patriot loafer. I Are there any vendors that currently sell it in dark brown suede? I'm interested in my first tassel and I am looking for a dark brown suede specifically. Would love to buy it immediately if somebody had it in stock, but I'll go MTO on it if necessary.

Thank you for your help!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.