Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GOP Shoe Guy

GOP Shoe Guy Senior member

Ok, here is a good pic of my new $299 Walnut Shell Cordovan Macneils. Be jealous SF members, be very jealous... :)

[​IMG]

Last night I did one application of Reno-Mat, then a liberal application of Venetian Creme. As the GOP Shoe Guy, I don't do many liberal things, but I gave it a good coating... I am very pleased with the results. There was a lot of brown shoe creme on these that came off during my treatment.

[​IMG]

Here is a comparison with my MTO Walnut Shell Macneils with a natural welt. It is nice to have a natural and brown welt. The natural is to casual for suits. The brown welt is perfect for a business or more formal attire, and the natural for blue jeans or a more casual business setting.

The only knock I have against these is that the eyelets do not match up perfectly, on the seconds and on my MTO. You can see in the pic above that the natural welt shoes, the eyelets leave you with crooked laces. On the brown welt shoes the right shoe eyeltes are straight, but the left is a bit off... While having these on, this is not so noticeable that it is a deal breaker. I love both my Walnut Cordovan.

2. rydenfan

rydenfan Senior member

^^ looks great! Now that you have both you may want to consider adding brass eyelets to the natural welt pair. Since you will be wearing them casually I think it would look great

3. kcip

kcip Member

I just received my second pair of AE in the mail yesterday, walnut Dalton's, but there seems to be some defects on them. There is a crease on the side of one shoe and also a black scuff mark. What do you guys think? These are not factory seconds. The rep that sold them to me said they had to build them since they didn't have my size. Should I ask for a new pair? I received another pair of these about a month ago that were the wrong size, and they did not have either of these issues. Appreciate your input! Thanks

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. mimo

mimo Pernicious Enabler

That's great advice! A decent cobbler can put brass eyelets in there, and perhaps if you change to lighter coloured laces too? If you're really bold, maybe something contrasting like blue. Would give an overall feel totally different to the other pair then.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2013
  5. sazon

sazon Senior member

wow, these look awesome. I am loving both pair. Great score, and great thinking going back to find the seconds! Congrats!

6. tifosi

tifosi Tire Kicker

It looks like the Reno Mat pulled off quite a bit of creme. They lightened up nicely and almost match your other pair. Nice work and congrats again!

7. bucksfan

bucksfan Senior member

The wrinkle I would not worry about - you will add wrinkles the first time you wear them. The black polish or sole edge mark may come off with a little TLC, but may not. I'd give it a shot with a damp cloth and a brush first. Then make a decision.

Real beauties, GOP - congrats on finding your seconds!

Today: burgundy shell Randolphs

[​IMG]

8. slimjohnil6

slimjohnil6 Active Member

Can you explain why you'd use the Reno Mat on the new shells? Was it to lighten them, pull off excess polish, etc? The end result looks amazing, but would you do this for all new shell shoes, or did you use that method for a specific purpose?

I'm waiting for my first shell AE's to arrive, and thought of the 'wipe-down' and brush like crazy method, but your post intrigues me.

9. bucksfan

bucksfan Senior member

Very Nice, Sazon - I ordered the same shoes - I hope mine look as nice as yours!

10. tifosi

tifosi Tire Kicker

I hope the OP replies as well, but I believe he thought that the factory went a little heavy on the creme polish. He wanted to remove the excess. It is probably just a quicker way to do what the mac method eventually does. I have mac'd my Cambridge probably 5 times by now and I still get significant polish removal. Although last night I felt like I had quite a breakthough and they are really starting to look nice. They are beginning to have a nice even shine as opposed to the splotchy appearance they have had.

11. tifosi

tifosi Tire Kicker

Your Randolphs look absolutely fantastic, Bucks! Great shine on them with a great finish. Bravo. I know you had more to do with the shine than the finish, haha. I honestly thought they were Aldens at first glance. Spectacular.

12. GOP Shoe Guy

I used Reno on them because there was a ton of creme on them. Removing that creme got it down closer to the raw shell, which gives a much deeper appearance that a thick layer of brown creme. I did not reno the ones with the natural welt, there was hardly any creme on them. I do not do that with all of my shells, just on the ones that are loaded with a product.

13. GOP Shoe Guy

I have about a dozen different pairs of colorful laces that I mix and match quite often. Blue and purple both look great with walnut shoes. I will give some consideration to the brass eyelets. I 100% agree on the colored laces.

14. tifosi

tifosi Tire Kicker

GOP: I would personally leave the eyelets alone, but I 100% agree on the laces as well.

15. cbtaylor

cbtaylor Senior member

Ordered Burgundy shell Grayson, and found an outlet with a Truffle shell McAllister, cant wait to get those

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.