Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spitshine123

spitshine123 Senior member

Stunning. How was sizing for you?

2. tietherope

tietherope Senior member

I passed on a pair in that color and it's starting to look like I made the wrong choice. They look really nice in your pics.

3. sazon

sazon Senior member

Yep, bought the burgundy. I'm not a huge fan of black shoes. Burgundy shell ages best, IMO.

I have worn the Park Ave for years in my normal brannock size. Did the same here and they are spot on.

Thank you! As is said in the Alden thread, Color8 (burgundy) is King !

4. green garden

green garden Senior member

Need some sizing help. I have a friend in Asia who is asking me to get him a pair of McTavish. He doesn't know his US size. His only point of reference for me is that he wears a 9.5F on a Church's Capital. Any Church expert out there? Thanks!

5. green garden

green garden Senior member

This is my experience as well. I wear a 8.5C in a PA in calf. I saw a 8.5C Cambridge in ebay and got it for a good deal. But I swear it was way too big. I don't think it was because it's used but really due to the physical dimensions. I compared the 8.5C Cambridge and 8.5C PA and everything looked bigger with the Cambridge. I had to turn it around and resell it. I mentioned in my description that it wears large and should fit a 8.5D or 9C. The guy who bought said he wears 8.5D and it fits perfect for him. I emailed the Shoebank and they said they have a 8.5C Cambridge. But I'm on the fence because of the experience.

6. basiameda

basiameda Active Member

Last edited: Sep 10, 2013
  7. spitshine123

spitshine123 Senior member

For what it's worth, being a 8.5e on the 5 last usually, I recently tried on a pair of cordovan strands in the same size as my cambridges (8.5d) and they were a width too tight. Maybe the newer 5 last cordovan models are more true to their calf size? Might be worth a try for the price. Still wondering how AE would treat these when resoling... would they put on the wider sole like the original or a regular 8.5d sole which would be too tight?

8. Denton

Denton Senior member

Picked up a pair of AE Player's Shoe at Nordstrom Rack tonight. $149, seemed to be quite a bargain. They aren't perfect as they are slightly uneven in the heel (not sure what the term is but rocking them back and forth on the coffee table shows it) and there is an odd slit in the side of the sole, as if it's an intentional mark. The leather sole looks new, just some wear from a test stride on carpet.

A little nervous as they are size 11 and my Strands, which I'll be buried in, are a 10.5. They worked for a cursory few steps but debating what to do.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2013
  9. esk8mw

esk8mw Active Member

With the Rediscover America sale coming up at the end of September, do the seconds typically receive the same 15-30% discount on top of the normal seconds discount? I've never paid close enough attention to find out, but it seems like this would almost have to be the case since the discounted firsts would be approaching the normal sales price of seconds during the sale...

I almost hope you will tell me this isn't the case since I've bought 5 pairs of AE in the past 2 weeks and I'm already barely resisting this shell sale.

10. salgy

salgy Well-Known Member

Brown & white broadstreets today... I'm running out of time to wear these!

[​IMG]

11. YoungSweet

YoungSweet Senior member

A few of AE shoes I've seen at the Rack are clearly seconds, some are actually refurbished as the leather def showed previous wears but the soles were brand new. I'm also in the DC metro area

12. basiameda

basiameda Active Member

Should be 15-30% on top of the regular Seconds price (which is discounted relative to Firsts).

13. masernaut

masernaut Senior member

14. tampatravel

tampatravel Senior member

[email protected]

I saw those today at the Houston AE. I picked them up and thought the same thing. They feel like those super cheap patent "leather" shoes you'd find on base at the exchange.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.