Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NWTeal

NWTeal Senior member

All this talk about shell (and purchasing my first shell) has me wondering, does anyone here use Alden's Leather Defender on their AE shell shoes?

Does it work well to prevent water stains and does it darken the shell at all? Other than that, do you guys just recommend brushing and the AE cordovan cream for care?

2. Pastor

Pastor Senior member

They have Dalton Burgundy Shell daltons in my size. I'm not really in the market for shell boots ( I have several) but at $299 it's hard for me not to order them. I have the daltons in walnut shell already.

3. shartmann

shartmann Senior member

Allison from AE mentioned in an email this morning that the web gems were dark brown cordovan. She wasn't sure why Ivy Style said they were cappuccino, but after checking said AE wasn't contacted by them about this web gem and didn't make any comments about the color.

She did say they have a "very limited" amount of cappuccino shell left, reserved for Style Forum members. So I would think you could get an MTO here. In case anyone is wondering about walnut shell, I asked (again) and she said it is completely out and they wouldn't be getting any more. I was hoping maybe they had set aside a bit for potential redo's, in case a pair didn't pass inspection, but that was not the case.

4. dancingbear

dancingbear Senior member

http://dappered.com/2013/08/win-it-allen-edmonds-shell-cordovan-strand-oxfords/

The end of that article mentioned a new shade too.

5. DerangedGoose

DerangedGoose Senior member

So jeffersonville totally dropped the ball and didnt email me when the labor day tent sale was on :/

Anyone know when the next big sale at any store is? Ive been holding out for seconds of certain models for a while now...

6. mdubs

mdubs The Mayor of Aldensville

Picked up a pair of black Cambridges as well! My first dive into Black Shell and I am excited... My Alden Ravello LWBs that I ordered months and months ago just got shipped to me today, so I am having a great (but expensive) shell day!

7. mdubs

mdubs The Mayor of Aldensville

I had a similar experience today. I was hoping to just get a walnut shell belt, but they couldn't do it.

-Mike

8. shartmann

shartmann Senior member

The photos of the Strands on this site look great. I hope my new cappuccino Strands would look that good if I could take decent photos. I will say that the color of the shoes in the photo on the Ivy Style site looked very similar to the last cappuccino web gem (the one with the Dundees, MacAllisters, and loafer, with the tag "Now you see them. Soon you wont"). Of course, I now have both brown and cappuccino shell, and they look really similar in my house too.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2013

9. shartmann

shartmann Senior member

Not enough scraps for a belt? Sounds like they really are out. I had asked early on about getting a walnut shell billfold, but they said they could not make a shell version (in any color).

10. JubeiSpiegel

JubeiSpiegel Senior member

Is Allison at AE still taking MTO StyleForum orders? If I understand correctly, they are doing them without the MTO $125 fee?

11. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Senior member

Congrats on picking up your MTO MacNeils GOP, that is awesome and you mentioned the desire to hunt them down earlier. Glad it worked out [​IMG]

I'm trying too... and not very successful it is a very expensive thread.

And their plan is working! Congrats bucksfan on the new shoes! Hope something comes in on the list in my size that I want. Or need. Or, erhhh never mind [​IMG]

You are correct about truffle. When I got my samples last year on the Dundee's that Debbie sent me she mentioned truffle and cappuccino interchangeably. And the sample actually said truffle.
    [​IMG]

The 1 last. And they have poron insoles so the fit is more snug than standard 1 last shoes.

12. PlaceboFX

PlaceboFX Active Member

Me included, that's at least 5 of us getting our first pair of shell cordovan shoes. Well played, Allen Edmonds.

13. JubeiSpiegel

Suede Strand insole report

It looks like the pictures are accurate in appearance:
    [​IMG]

With one caveat, it's not a true poron insole:
    [​IMG]

Looks like a half sock liner like Alden and other shoe makers use. I like this insole personally. Nice balance of heel comfort but with a leather insole...

Edit, not sure if it was mentioned that it comes with a dainite sole.

14. msulinski

msulinski Senior member

So is that a real/regular leather insole in there?

15. JubeiSpiegel

Sure felt like it. I own a pair of AEs with the poron, and I can tell you this was not it...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.