Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spitshine123

spitshine123 Senior member

Oh geez. Thought I was done this year also. Might actually cave if they have some walnut or cappuccino shell in my size at that price.

2. GOP Shoe Guy

GOP Shoe Guy Senior member

3. PlaceboFX

PlaceboFX Active Member

Oh wow. Keep the merlot mcallister firsts I have coming in fr $226, or return them and get a pair if shell for not that much more?

Decisions, decisions... you always keep it interesting, AE.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2013
  4. Nakedsnake

Nakedsnake Senior member

Best choice would be to get both. Second best choice, for me, would be to return the calf and get the shell. Shell wingtips crease (or wrinkle I guess) very nicely.

5. PlaceboFX

PlaceboFX Active Member

Haha thanks, and will do. I stop in there every few weeks to see what's marked down/available. Great place to find bargains.

6. dapperdoctor

dapperdoctor Senior member

I really need to stop looking at this thread....

7. PlaceboFX

PlaceboFX Active Member

You're such an enabler for my shoe addiction. :) I'll have to see what they have in my size tomorrow. Just to look...

8. Nakedsnake

Nakedsnake Senior member

I felt a little bad typing it at first, and then I thought to myself, you're probably on this thread for the same reason I am. To enjoy looking at some great shoes, and to talk to people to either enable our addiction, or at the least, make ours seem less in comparison to theirs (another form of enabling). So really, consider it a favor haha [​IMG]

9. PlaceboFX

PlaceboFX Active Member

You're exactly right, and I do consider it a favor :). Though after this purchase I think I'm actually going to stop. My shoe rack will be full (entirely of AE) and my shoes should have me set for every situation for the next decade. My oldest AE is only from Feb 2011... and most are from the past few months. I haven't even resoled ANY of them yet.

I'll have to post a buying closure picture of the whole family when I finish this off.

Also, does anyone know if this shell sale is only at the Shoe Bank, or at all the outlets? I like the Jeffersonville outlet. They've treated me well through 3 pairs of seconds this year.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2013
  10. MSchapiro

MSchapiro Senior member

What's the matter with the poron?

11. MoneyWellSpent

MoneyWellSpent Senior member

Sky Valet in Washington D.C. (Georgetown) has a decent assortment. Last time I was there, they had Carmina, Loake, Crockett & Jones, Alden, Edward Green, and a couple others. I don't remember seeing any Meermin or Tricker's there.

12. MoneyWellSpent

MoneyWellSpent Senior member

Well, it changes the fit characteristics of the shoe to a degree, but my real issue with it is the lower longevity potential. The insole is the true foundation of a shoe, which is something that many people don't realize. Hand-welted shoes (the best shoes money can buy) have extremely heavy insoles, often 1/4 inch thick or so. Goodyear-welted shoes don't require such a heavy insole, but a relatively thick piece of leather is still preferred by the better manufacturers (including AE's standard line of shoes). Most good quality Goodyear-welted shoes have a nice leather insole that is somewhere around the thickness of a leather belt, give or take. Good quality leather is the best material for an insole for the same reasons that it is important for the leather upper. The inherent properties of quality leather simply make for a better product that will last as long as possible.

Poron insoles are fiberboard (a hard piece of board that is a composite of paper and fiberglass), which is then covered with a very thin piece of high-tech (created by NASA) foam and wrapped in a very thin piece of leather for aesthetics. Fiberboard doesn't respond well to moisture for the same reasons that cardboard or masonite siding on houses don't. Eventually your shoes will get wet, even if it's only from perspiration. I'm not saying that shoes with Poron insoles are guaranteed to rot from the inside out and fail sooner than shoes with high quality leather ones. However, I am saying that it is a weak link in a shoe if you are interested in making your shoes last as long as possible. Weak links are things that people don't think to give consideration to in shoes that will be disposed of after a year or two. However, if you are hoping to make a pair of shoes last for 15-20 years and 4-6 resolings, then weak links become a major factor to consider in whether they will make it that long.

I have a pair of AE's with a fiberboard/foam insole, so I'm not saying that I'll never buy them, especially if the model is exactly what I want. But, I do wish AE would make it an easy decision and just not make shoes with Poron insoles. [​IMG]

13. green garden

green garden Senior member

Thanks. Nice Collection. I know this is the AE thread but those NSTs spectacular. Wear in good health.

14. basiameda

basiameda Active Member

Anyone know what last Bayfields are on?

15. mimo

mimo Pernicious Enabler

What?! Already there, or this is expected when?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.