Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. phototristan

phototristan Senior member

Will AE be releasing some Crocodile Dundees? (Sorry, couldn't resist).

2. patrick_b

patrick_b Senior member

You should have resisted... :)

3. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Senior member

I'm not sure if the Cappuccino Shell will show up in the AE stores. The Cappuccino Dundee and 2 other Cappuccino shoes say they must be ordered by March 5, which is only 2 weeks away. The Walnut Shell when it came out said Limited Edition however is now still available, and no longer say Limited Edition. I ordered my Walnut Shell Dalton boots the day after they posted them on the AE site and there was no mention of a drop dead date. In this case they may really mean it.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2012

4. acousticfoodie

acousticfoodie Senior member

If there is enough demand for the limited editions they will become part of the standard line like the cordovan strands. So order away on these new capuchins so I can get one later!

5. acousticfoodie

Anyone here know how the Executive-2 last shoe fit? Like the lombards, van nesses and etc compared to the 5 or 8 last? Just picked up a pair in my normal 5/8 last size....hope they will fit

6. althanis

althanis Senior member

I'm a little late on the investment convo here, but I'll throw in my two cents anyway.

The whole idea about buying a shoe to resell at a profit could practically be thrown out, cause I hardly think anyone does that.

I also realize that I now have 3 pairs of "good" shoes, and because I rotate them, along with my 2 beaters if it's snowy, they're going to last a very long time. But if I had 2 pairs and I rotated them every other day, I do think they would still last and hold up a lot better than Cole Haans or Kenneth Cole.

Also, when we get "good" shoes we actually tend to take better care of them - wiping them clean, conditioning, polishing, etc., things we might not have done with cheap shoes.

And finally, although they're not a financial investment (or at least a terrible one), there are other benefits that could accrue from having good shoes, such as just looking more professional, sophisticated and more attractive.

7. bl@ster

bl@ster Senior member

Is it really appropriate to be telling the guy he owns too many shoes on a forum dedicated to glorifying clothes and shoes? Does buying $700 shell shoes make economic sense in general? Probably not.

Give him a break. If he enjoys collecting and wearing fine shoes, let him. And let me too.

8. suitntieguy

suitntieguy Senior member

I wear mine (brown) with suits and to a much lesser extent everything else. Very versatile. By the way, I am in the minority camp on SF that feels strongly that shoes like the strand and tips are more formal than plain toes. I also feel wearing shoes like the strand with jeans is way to "cowboy boot". I really enjoy the Fifth Aves and would not hesitate to wear them with just about anything. Order away.

9. ajmanouk

ajmanouk Senior member

The 5 and 8 last fit you the same?

Id say the 2 is pretty close to the 5.

10. asdf

asdf Senior member

I have a pair of Lombards. They fit long and narrowish in the toe, though only slightly. Ball of foot relatively wide and instep quite high.

11. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Senior member

I've been looking at the #2 last (Players Shoe); the SA has cautioned me that its tighter in the toe box (than the #5).

Last edited: Feb 20, 2012

12. acousticfoodie

The 8 last fits me better than the 5 last. I wear a perfect 9E in the 8 last, and the people at the allen edmonds sized me up as a 9E on a 5 last strand, although it's just a little bit longer. Ideally I would prefer the 5-Last shoes on the 8-Last. Do most people here wear 5 last and 8 last shoes in different sizes?

13. mythage

mythage Senior member

Hello gents, wondering if anyone has experience with the Melrose penny loafer. I believe it is discontinued, and built on the #0 last. How does it compare to the 5 last?

Also, I asked about Malvern vs. Strand earlier in this thread. I ended up buying the same size for Malvern and Strand, but the Malvern has a very narrow toe-box compared to the Strand. It is quite uncomfortable (but getting better). Don't think sizing up would have helped since everything is great except my small toe getting squished a bit. It does get better with wear though.

Hope this info helps anyone trying to decide.

14. Superfluous

Superfluous Senior member

i bought the Malvern today but I think I'm returning it. Why don't you think going half-size up would help?

15. bl@ster

bl@ster Senior member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.