Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. coolarrow

coolarrow Senior member

They shave or cut out the top layer of the outsole. Think of it like removing a layer from a birthday cake and putting in the tap. It is flush with the sole. They don't cut so deep that they shave off the stitches (at least in mine).

2. ScottyBoy920

ScottyBoy920 Senior member

The shoes look great. by the looks of the makeup, you sure did create a MTO shoe. With the padded insole, did you go with a different size shoe?

3. Mr.K

Mr.K Senior member

My first pair of MTO AE came today. They are a dark brown shell Leeds on the double butyl sole to help them break in easier. They where not the ones I expected, but they are still a welcome addition to my rotation. I only ordered these about 4 weeks ago. Still waiting for my tan suede MacNeils. I am hoping to find out the progress on them tomorrow. It has been over 3 months now for them.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 4, 2013

4. mikeharo

mikeharo Senior member

Is this the same color as the current cordovan webgems?

5. Mr.K

Mr.K Senior member

If they are dark brown, then they are the same color

6. bespoken pa

bespoken pa Senior member

Mr.K could you post a picture of the soles when you have a chance?

7. ryoneo

ryoneo Senior member

Brown Kiwi wax.

8. Subutai

Subutai Senior member

Thanks Scotty; I didn't size up at all to account for the padded insole. I don't find the difference to warrant sizing up. That said, I feel that the 3 last is very roomy anyway

9. Subutai

Subutai Senior member

These look fantastic. Makes me wonder why I am waiting for Alden "Cigar" PTB's...

10. Mr.K

Mr.K Senior member

I ordered these since I have been waiting for over 2 years for Alden cigar PTB myself. I am also thinking of cancelling my pre-order on the 2 plus year wait for the cigar LWB and getting a MacNeil in the same cordovan.

11. RefleX

RefleX Well-Known Member

I had this and tried a shorter size and it did correct it 90%. I can't tell if the remaining is a size issue or I'm just looking for it and manifesting it in my mind.

12. dapperdoctor

dapperdoctor Senior member

Just a basic quality leather belt, nothing special. I do think it will last longer than an ordinary belt. I have purchased 5 AE belts and am happy with the quality compared to my other belts. They are sometimes available on e-bay for lower prices (new, not used), but not always.

13. dapperdoctor

dapperdoctor Senior member

Wow, these are a grand slam. Excellent pick-up.

14. jasonmx3

jasonmx3 Senior member

Yup, that's correct. The toe tap is about 2mm thick made of very tough rubber, so it's not that thick. My cobbler suggests that they be installed in new or almost new pairs so that there's still some space before he hits the stitching.

Although, from what I've read here, even if they do cut the stitching, it's not a big deal since they use lock stitching (?), so it doesn't affect the integrity of the rest of the sole's stitching.

Rubber toe taps are very similar to the steel ones in terms of thickness and installation.

15. Commodore Mark

Commodore Mark Active Member

Greetings,

I am a noob to the site and all things about clothing and shoe styles. I am planning to make my first purchases of AEs soon. I am interested in the Park Avenue in black/calf, the McAllister in walnut/calf (or the Strand in bourbon/calf just because I like bourbon better than walnut) and the Boulder in brown/brown. While getting sized and trying on different shoes at the local Nordstrom, I came to the conclusion that I take a 12.5 D in the Park Avenues and a 12 D in the Boulders. This is part guesswork because Nordstrom didn't have any 1/2 sizes. Does this sound right? Could I take a 1/2 size larger shoe in the Park Avenue than in the Boulder? Should I expect the McAllister and Strand to be the same size as the Park Avenue?

Any help would be appreciated before I start ordering (from Shoe Bank). Thanks!

Mark

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.