• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
RE: Allen Edmonds Clothing

Most guys...hate to shop - loathe it even. If their wife gets them in there to buy shoes. She can talk him into getting some new clothes I'd guess. I know that the folks that are on here are the 1%ers that care about what they wear. Most guys don't..hell...99% don't. I can't tell you how many guys at my office have been dressed by their wives.

This is a good move by AE - to get guys to buy more in the store.

I know if they keep the clothes made in America - I'll show some interest in them for sure.

In a selfish way, I almost wish they were doing a reverse of J.Crew and having an "In good company" but with clothes in the AE stores.

I'd bet that in most cases where the woman buys her man's shoes, she gets them at Macy's, Kohl's, or whatever similar store you can think of.

I don't see this working for AE. Women that buy for guys who hate to shop either pick things up for the guy while she is at Nordstrom, Macy's, or any other department store or drag the guy along to a department store to get shoes, clothes, belt, underwear, cologne (everything he needs) in one stop shopping. They're not going to go to AE for shoes and the few items of clothing in the corner.

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me what, if anything, is special about AE belts to put them in the $100 range? Love the shoes, but I am a bit picky and looking at the stamped buckles and normal leathers I think I'm looking at maybe a 50 dollar belt when I look at them. I buy custom made belts in belting or bridle leather for less than this...

Any rebuttal, commentary? I am open minded but just have a disconnect...
Probably nothing, really. Just that they come in the same colors/styles as their shoes for easy matching. Paying for convenience, maybe?

cbtaylor

Reaction score
They are the same quality leather and craftmanship as the shoes, and made in the USA

Roycru

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

adamdurbin

Reaction score
These are very nice belts. But it's like comparing to corter or tanner belts. They're not the same leather or colors as the shoes. They don't have the broguing (if you want that). Personally, I have a saddle tan tanner belt I wear with all my AE walnut shoes and I'm happy with it. But it isn't formal, and it isn't a precise match. If I cared about these sorts of things, I would probably buy AE belts.

For comparison, one might want to look at the leather belts with cast buckles made in the USA by Austin Jeffers (Leatherman).........

http://www.elizab.com/category/Aj.html

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me what, if anything, is special about AE belts to put them in the $100 range? Love the shoes, but I am a bit picky and looking at the stamped buckles and normal leathers I think I'm looking at maybe a 50 dollar belt when I look at them. I buy custom made belts in belting or bridle leather for less than this...

The simplicity of knowing you have a good match to the walnut or chili color. For black and dark brown, I tend to buy my belts elsewhere.

MacktasticGDogg

Reaction score

I think the AE belts are similar to Brooks Brothers belts in terms of quality and I think they are priced fine. My 3 AE belts, including a shell cordovan belt, were all purchased at a discount though. Custom made bridle leather belts are nice, and I'm a huge fan of Equus leather belts, but some of the AE belts work better for dressier occasions.

MSchapiro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I agree with others that this is just because they are there. They probably sell enough of them to be worth it due to high margin.

I personally get mine from Equus at less than AE charges and have been happy. I can also see how something like the Manistee belt is interesting enough that I'd get it to go along with one of my less standard colored shoes.

rc121

Reaction score

I think the AE belts are similar to Brooks Brothers belts in terms of quality and I think they are priced fine. My 3 AE belts, including a shell cordovan belt, were all purchased at a discount though. Custom made bridle leather belts are nice, and I'm a huge fan of Equus leather belts, but some of the AE belts work better for dressier occasions.

doesn't AE make (at least some of) the belts for BB? I would assume that's why they are similar in quality and price

Fabian43

Reaction score
I own about a dozen pair of AE in all different lasts and I just can't get over how comfortable the Mcallisters are on me. I absolutely love them, even more than my strands.

MarioImpemba

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The simplicity of knowing you have a good match to the walnut or chili color. For black and dark brown, I tend to buy my belts elsewhere.

Matchy-matchy belts and shoes is so passe
smack.gif

green garden

Reaction score
Sure, I'll post an update once I've worn them a few times.

At a minimum, I also put toe taps on my leather-soled shoes. I've never tried the tap sole and toe tap combination tho. I've noticed that one or the other is usually enough. Also, I use rubber toe taps since they seem to be less flashy (than steel) and more floor-friendly. I figure I can just easily have them replaced when they get really thin. Here's how they look installed (they're about 2-3mm thick at the front):

How is this done? Is it a thick piece of rubber that requires the cobbler remove a portion of the sole and install the tap sole? If this is so, then what happens to the stiching?

Or is it a thin layer very similar to the Vibram or Topy oversoles just for the toe?

Thanks.

green garden

Reaction score
Pure luck. Ever since I saw navy suede players , I knew I had to have a pair. During labor day sale I found 1 last pair in 8.5 EEE (seconds). I am a 8 EEE but still pulled the trigger(I had to). They fit ok. Just a tiny bit long. They are beautiful - I just love them. I can't wait to wear them. I will take a group photo tomorrow.
Interested to see those navy Players too.

Subutai

Reaction score
Ah, I wish the lighting in my house were better and that my camera phone did these justice. In any case, below are some initial pics of my MTO! Franciscans in Burgundy Independence leather, mocha lining, padded insole, bi-colored Independence sole, black flat welt wheeling, natural"ish" edge:

These are my first shoes from the Independence line; holy cow! The difference is incredible. The leather is much softer and the padded insole feels great. More pics in natural light to come!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads