1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DKruger

DKruger Member

Thanks, I really appreciate the help. I would not be able to afford these shoes at MSRP. Very excited to order these

2. DKruger

DKruger Member

Just another question, what are the fit like on these shoes? I only own 1 pair of ferragamo dress shoes which are 9.5 and fit me slightly loose.

3. halfnhalfnhalf

halfnhalfnhalf Well-Known Member

1 person likes this.
  4. pudman43

pudman43 Well-Known Member

Hi DK I guess you're a good distance from the border? Woud it be worthwhile to set up a mailbox across the line? I'm fortunate to be in Greater Vancouver and about 20 min from the US border. I have a mailbox across the line so get most of my AE, Amazon and eBay purchases shipped for free. J

5. DKruger

DKruger Member

It's not very practical in my situation, but I might consider it in the future.

6. pudman43

pudman43 Well-Known Member

pardon my ignorance, how long is the drive? J

7. BootSpell

BootSpell Well-Known Member

Last edited: Jan 31, 2014
  8. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Well-Known Member

Oh my. Just got my 2nds list from JVille. Regular factory 2nd price is not 289$. Sheesh!

If only meermin made a Last wide enough for my man-flippers...

9. DKruger

DKruger Member

it's 2 hours minimum and up to 3 or so depending on the traffic near the crossing. It wouldn't be worthwhile unless i was buying lots of stuff in a short intervals steadily throughout the year.

10. WICaniac

WICaniac Well-Known Member

I saw some close out 2nds for $289 with model names (for RL or whomever) that I had never seen. Assuming that these must be some spectacular shoes to sell as flawed close outs at this price, I called to inquire--and was sent pics of the humblest driving moc I've ever seen. The seconds price structure does not always make perfect sense.

11. winston1156

winston1156 Member

12. random-adam

random-adam Well-Known Member

I hear you. If one of us lost our job, we'd still be able to manage the mortgage... but retirement savings and shell cordovan would get back-burner'd so fast my head would spin. Helps not having kids, too.

13. SkySaw

SkySaw Well-Known Member

I don't think the factory 2nds sales are a good idea for us Canadians - here's why:

Let's say I want a pair of Mcallisters that can be bought at Harry Rosen (Canada's only real AE retail presence) for $355 plus tax ($400 all in). Now the shoe bank can sell a pair of 2nds to me for $245. But shipping is $45, and despite Free Trade, shoes are exempt as Canada wishes to provide incentives for a non-existent shoe industry, so you will pay duty around 8%-10%. Exchange rate is currently around $1.10. This brings the landed cost of those shoes to around $350. That is for a pair of 2nds with flaws that may not even be acceptable to you. Returns will cost you another boat-load in shipping. To me, the $50 premium for 1sts at Harry Rosen is worth paying given the risks and potential return costs of 2nds.

Despite AE's claims of a global presence, their shipping costs to Canada price their on-line offerings out of reach for all but the least value conscious shoppers. That leaves us Canadians to buy at Harry Rosen, who carry an extremely limited stock, but will order shoes for you if you want something they don't carry. I don't know if you have ever shopped for shoes at Harry Rosen, but in my experience they have little interest in selling the AE line, giving much more attention to the Prada, Boss, etc. lines. I'm hoping that AE will soon realize that the Canadian market for high-end shoes is actually fairly strong, and will service this market better soon.

14. bespoken pa

bespoken pa Well-Known Member

+1 I tore up my shell daltons with the ae brush. Is all horse hair equal, I cannot fathom how this occurs.

15. wonsmithr8

wonsmithr8 Well-Known Member

Just got the JAB shoe trees I ordered which was super quick! How well do they fit into the 5 lasted shoes? I compared the JAB shoe trees to OSB ones I have and the JAB shoe trees are definitely wider by like inch.

16. chinngiskhaan

chinngiskhaan Well-Known Member

how long have you been following this forum? FWIW I would also be willing to pay full price for a shoe if it was one that I really truly wanted and needed, it just so happens that the two pairs of AE's I've bought were on sale right at the time when I was most able to make a purchase.

The only time most of these guys pay full price for stuff is when it is an MTO, which you can't really say is full price because they waive the $100 MTO fee for us SF members.

17. TaperedGent

TaperedGent Well-Known Member

I paid full price for these

[​IMG]

But hey i'm all for a deal when I can get one.

18. LeviMay

LeviMay Well-Known Member

As long as we're talking about it, I've only received one pair of my 5 AE at less than retail, as well as the two I have en route. I don't like bringing it up, but I'll get a deal when I can, and if I don't want the shoe bad enough to pay for it, wait or pass.

19. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Well-Known Member

Hmmm. I haven't paid full price for any of my AEs:

1) shell kenilworth (1st): MTO during RDA sale
    2) walnut kenilworth (2nd): during RDA 2nds sale
    3) dark brown long branch (1st): on clearance + $35 coupon
    4) shell strand (2nd): during shell 2nds sale
    5) grey mctavish (1st): on clearance + 20% off
    6) navy spiaggia (1st): clearance
    7) black neumore (2nd): during 2 for 250 on close out 2nds
    8) chili regent street (1st): on clearance

Wow, I've done pretty well, actually!

I've also got a shaker heights MTO in the works for the clearance price.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2014
  20. ptf205

ptf205 New Member

FYI, the chocolates mailer.....

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 1, 2014
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.