1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 7: A Made-to-Measure suit from Lanieri

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a Made-to-measure suit from Lanieri. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Distinguished Member

I don't see this working for AE. Women that buy for guys who hate to shop either pick things up for the guy while she is at Nordstrom, Macy's, or any other department store or drag the guy along to a department store to get shoes, clothes, belt, underwear, cologne (everything he needs) in one stop shopping. They're not going to go to AE for shoes and the few items of clothing in the corner.

2. tifosi

tifosi Tire Kicker

Probably nothing, really. Just that they come in the same colors/styles as their shoes for easy matching. Paying for convenience, maybe?

3. cbtaylor

cbtaylor Senior Member

They are the same quality leather and craftmanship as the shoes, and made in the USA

4. tifosi

tifosi Tire Kicker

This too...

5. Roycru

Roycru Distinguished Member

6. adamdurbin

adamdurbin Senior Member

These are very nice belts. But it's like comparing to corter or tanner belts. They're not the same leather or colors as the shoes. They don't have the broguing (if you want that). Personally, I have a saddle tan tanner belt I wear with all my AE walnut shoes and I'm happy with it. But it isn't formal, and it isn't a precise match. If I cared about these sorts of things, I would probably buy AE belts.

7. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Distinguished Member

The simplicity of knowing you have a good match to the walnut or chili color. For black and dark brown, I tend to buy my belts elsewhere.

8. MacktasticGDogg

MacktasticGDogg Senior Member

I think the AE belts are similar to Brooks Brothers belts in terms of quality and I think they are priced fine. My 3 AE belts, including a shell cordovan belt, were all purchased at a discount though. Custom made bridle leather belts are nice, and I'm a huge fan of Equus leather belts, but some of the AE belts work better for dressier occasions.

9. MSchapiro

MSchapiro Distinguished Member

I agree with others that this is just because they are there. They probably sell enough of them to be worth it due to high margin.

I personally get mine from Equus at less than AE charges and have been happy. I can also see how something like the Manistee belt is interesting enough that I'd get it to go along with one of my less standard colored shoes.

10. rc121

rc121 Senior Member

doesn't AE make (at least some of) the belts for BB? I would assume that's why they are similar in quality and price

11. Fabian43

Fabian43 Senior Member

I own about a dozen pair of AE in all different lasts and I just can't get over how comfortable the Mcallisters are on me. I absolutely love them, even more than my strands.

12. MarioImpemba

MarioImpemba Distinguished Member

Matchy-matchy belts and shoes is so passe [​IMG]

13. green garden

green garden Senior Member

How is this done? Is it a thick piece of rubber that requires the cobbler remove a portion of the sole and install the tap sole? If this is so, then what happens to the stiching?

Or is it a thin layer very similar to the Vibram or Topy oversoles just for the toe?

Thanks.

14. green garden

green garden Senior Member

Interested to see those navy Players too.

15. Subutai

Subutai Senior Member

Ah, I wish the lighting in my house were better and that my camera phone did these justice. In any case, below are some initial pics of my MTO! Franciscans in Burgundy Independence leather, mocha lining, padded insole, bi-colored Independence sole, black flat welt wheeling, natural"ish" edge:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

These are my first shoes from the Independence line; holy cow! The difference is incredible. The leather is much softer and the padded insole feels great. More pics in natural light to come!

Last edited: Sep 4, 2013

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.