Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sazon

sazon Senior member

those walnut shell long wings are stunning !

2. Stylego

Stylego Senior member

I too am interesred in knowing more about these. I do well in a #5 in a C width, but they don't offer that, so I'm courious to know if I have to go down a half size. Don't have a store round these parts so I won't be able to check them out in advance. I'm liking the blue so if anyone bites I'm eager to see them Itw.

3. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Senior member

Try the "D" width in your size first. Then size down, though that hasn't worked well for me. You can have the "C" width MTO.

4. Edgein

Edgein Senior member

I just received an email from AE regarding a cappuccino cordovan LE opportunity. Nice looking shoes. Anyone else get this?

5. Winston S.

Winston S. Senior member

6. althanis

althanis Senior member

To the person asking about how people wear their Strands. I don't have the Strands, but I do have the McAllisters (walnut), which are very similar. I wear it with navy or grey pants in my business casual workplace, and with a nice pair of jeans casually.

From what I understand, all the brogueing makes it a somewhat informal shoe, but I'm thinking only 5% of the population actually knows about/follows this.

So wear it however you want to, if you wear it with a suit and end up on Nice Try Bro, that's okay, because I'm beginning to think that guy is a real fucking douche, now that the novelty has worn off. /rant

7. JubeiSpiegel

JubeiSpiegel Senior member

Just got the email, those Dundees look great in cappuccino cordovan... :slayer:

Last edited: Feb 19, 2012

8. Stylego

Stylego Senior member

Which is essentially what I said in my post. I'd not considered the MTO option. Given the limited use of a blue pair of shoes, not sure I'd be willing to pay much of a premium on them. I suppose I'll have to see how they look.

9. TauKappaEpsilon

TauKappaEpsilon Senior member

You're right about the brogueing making the stands (and McAllisters) a more causal shoe. The origin of the brogue is that in Scotland (I believe) hunters would walk through marshes quite frequently and put the brogueing in the shoes to let the water out. Because of this, brogues are very informal, causal, even sport shoes. Most people do not know this and see brogueing and probably think that makes the shoe more formal, but they are wrong.

The reason I was asking this is because I wanted to see how many, presumably educated people (if your on SF I assume your educated on functionality of clothing), wear these shoes casually as opposed to formally. I rarely even see people wearing leather soled brogues casually.

10. Quadcammer

Quadcammer Senior member

11. hoit1981

hoit1981 Senior member

I've been contemplating getting some custom walnut MacNeil's also. Do you find that they they compare to other AE's size-wise?

Last edited: Feb 19, 2012

12. Shiny

Shiny Senior member

Interesting. A lot of features of clothing have some weird origins like workable buttons on dress coats, surgeons cuffs. Supposedly to let a doctor roll up his sleeves and get to work on a patient quickly. Also, that little pocket for a pocket watch.

13. makewayhomer

makewayhomer Senior member

I think the idea that brogueing = informal is a vestige of times gone by. I think 9/10 people on the street would tell you that a longwing like the macneil looks more formal than a plain toe shoe like the leeds

the strand (and mcallister) in particular looks like a more formal shoe imo b/c of the single sole and regular welt

14. TauKappaEpsilon

TauKappaEpsilon Senior member

I'm hoping my Strands will look like this one day:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. makewayhomer

makewayhomer Senior member

it's gonna take a heck of a cobbler to turn your strands into bluchers

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.