1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YRR92

YRR92 Senior member

Gunboats deserve a reverse welt. They're too casual for a suit if you're strict or English, but there's a great precedent for them in trad/American style.

Prolly buying a pair today. Maybe. Unless somebody talks me out of it. Walnut grain MacNeils are kind of a grail shoe for me...

Like dis:

http://thesuitroom.tumblr.com/post/74386614618/gray-flannel-suit-a-holdover-from-my-office-job

Not trad, but very cool:

http://mostexerent.tumblr.com/post/8767881837/fu-plaid-made-me-rethink-usually-i-use-a-common

2. OptoDoc

OptoDoc Senior member

Funny you mention this. In college, I knew a few guys who hauled a party barge to St. Louis and then floated it down the Mississippi back home. I wouldn't try it in a canoe, but something tells me you could pull it off. You are Cold Iron after all.

If you do, the return flight is on me.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2014
  3. OptoDoc

OptoDoc Senior member

I had a little accident with edge dressing last night and now my Strands have a couple of chili dyed circles on the medallion [​IMG]

4. OptoDoc

OptoDoc Senior member

Thanks for the tip. Unfortunately, they don't have an 8EE or 8EEE available.

5. OptoDoc

OptoDoc Senior member

Same size as my Strands. They fit a bit longer and just ever so slightly wider, but this actually works out fine for me. I'm actually wearing my Neumoks today. They are extremely comfortable. If you only plan to wear them without socks, you could probably go down one in width, but not if you ever want to wear socks with them.
    I don't have the Strandmok.

6. OptoDoc

OptoDoc Senior member

Splendid

7. OptoDoc

OptoDoc Senior member

[​IMG]

Anyone for a morning bourbon?

4 people like this.
  8. JezeC

JezeC Senior member

9. chinngiskhaan

chinngiskhaan Senior member

I think it depends on whether you want your shoes to be brown or black. If you want them to be black, use black polish.

It's possible I'm wrong, but to me it seems like black polish would make your shoes appear black.

10. halfnhalfnhalf

halfnhalfnhalf Senior member

Brown shell Dundees arrived today! The color is remarkable:

[​IMG]

For comparison's sake . . . from left to right: brown shell Strand, brown shell Dundee, burgundy shell Dundee. Is it just me, or does the brown Dundee (a) not look that much like the brown Strand, and (b) actually look more burgundy than the burgundy Dundee? Anyone else have the brown Dundee and, if so, have they noticed this as well?

11. anrobit

anrobit Senior member

Are you sure you didn't reverse the brown and burgundy Dundee's?

12. chinngiskhaan

lol, I just thought the same thing. Could it have something to do with the fact that the burgundy and brown are next to each other? I am definitely noticing some red tones in the brown dundee, but it could be some kind of reflection trick.

13. NicNac

NicNac Well-Known Member

The maiden voyage for my Hamptons. -45c outside today with windchill. Wish me luck!

[​IMG]

14. rc121

rc121 Senior member

black wax polish will not make your shoes black, although it will tend to make them look darker over time.

15. chinngiskhaan

thanks for the info!

16. halfnhalfnhalf

halfnhalfnhalf Senior member

17. mdubs

mdubs The Mayor of Aldensville

It is -45 where you are and all you are wearing is pants and socks. I would be so bundled up that you would barely be able to tell I was human.

18. chinngiskhaan

if brown shell is consistently like this (with the burgundy shades), that makes it all the more desirable in my opinion.

1 person likes this.
  19. chinngiskhaan

as bad as -45c sounds you can get used to it after a few months of it, and no cold is that bad if you know you've got a place to warm up once you get to where you are going. I find the biggest help is to keep moving. I lived in a place that was consistently that cold or colder for several months a year and after my first winter I rarely wore a coat.

Nice shoes btw, very unique!

20. drocpsu

drocpsu Member

Great looking shoes. I have the same pair, (though I am wearing my walnut Strands today). Do you find that you get any notable creasing on the vamp with them? I've only had mine a couple months now and they seem to be creasing a reasonable amount right behind the tips of the toe cap. They have shoe trees in them whenever they are not on my feet.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.