1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was. I'd like to keep you abreast of the improvements we've made over the past few days.
    @notification emails have been added, in response to user requests

Attached images are now Full Size by default

Users are now all allowed three (3) links in their signature files,

SSL certification is now in place so you can all browse securely.

The server has been reconfigured so that site speeds will improve.

Notice: Right now the site is slow because we are fixing all the images from the past 4 months. Many of you noticed that these were missing, and we are fixing that problem now. Unfortunately, it is taking up a lot of resources and causing the site to be slow.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Well-Known Member

So I'm back at home and put on the Dalton's to try to break in on them... I was curious and compared them with the lenght of my Santoni's which I used as reference when I wrote the AE Customer Service. Santoni dubmonks are 8UK and theChelseas are 8.5UK... which according to AE site the 9US of them woul be the same as an 8.5UK. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I would sell these to my cousin but I want my Dalton boots, so what size should I get?

2. YRR92

YRR92 Well-Known Member

^^
    Width down length up, that's the way we like to...

Right? If those are a 9 D, then a 9.5 C would be a little longer and about the same width, AFAIK.

There's also probably going to be a lot more extension in the toebox on a Santoni than on most AEs. It's an aesthetic thing.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2014
    2 people like this.
  3. evilWagon

evilWagon Well-Known Member

You're raining on my parade, I was hoping to pick up my first pair of shell (seconds) but with that frequency of problems it doesn't bode we'll. Alden doesn't make shoes in my size so that options out.

4. Betelgeuse

So if I understood correctly, the length on the AE if I go with 9.5US is not going to catch up with the dubmonk? The tightness is in my little toe and in that part. Don't know the propper term. [​IMG]

5. RogerP

RogerP Well-Known Member

Betegeuse - not all "UK" sizes are equivalent to each other, much less equivalent to any particular US size. In my experience, Santonis run large relative to other UK sized brands. I've tried on an 8.5 UK Santoni that was bigger than a 9 UK Edward green, side by side in the same store. Santoni is the only brand where I can wear an 8 UK in some shoes. Everywhere else I am an 8.5UK, and more often a 9UK.

2 people like this.
  6. YRR92

YRR92 Well-Known Member

It's tough to say. All I can tell you is that a 9.5 will be longer than what you have now, and that a 9.5 C should be about the same width as your current 9D. I can't say how much longer it would be.

1 person likes this.
  7. Betelgeuse

So I should try to stretch them and see how they fit?

8. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Well-Known Member

Or the Edward Green Dover. :nodding:

9. Storm33

Storm33 Well-Known Member

I think I've just been lucky. :) The medallion on the left shoe of my Strands is a little off-center, but 99 of 100 people wouldn't notice.

Don't let me deter you. When they get them right, AE shell cordovan are great shoes and last for years. In fact, buying seconds can save you big money - you will just have to check them over. I probably could have lived with the first pair of Jeffersons I received if I got them for half price, but when I pay full price they'd better be perfect or damn near perfect.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2014
  10. SkySaw

SkySaw Well-Known Member

Thanks. Yes, that would be the wax. I've actually never used AE wax or polish - here in Canada AE is not easy to get, and shipping from the factory is very expensive, so I went from Kiwi brand wax to Saphir. As for colour, I use black wax rather than neutral. Wax doesn't really add colour, so black is definitely a good choice for browns, reds, burgundy, and black. Over time it might build a bit of an antiquing effect, which I consider a benefit. Maybe try both neutral and black, and see which you prefer.

11. JezeC

JezeC Well-Known Member

Awesome. I'll pick up the wax from the AE link after work. Thanks.

12. WICaniac

WICaniac Well-Known Member

Not necessarily. We're talking about a modest incidence of minor flaws--without which there wouldn't be shell seconds to buy. I own 2 pairs of shell seconds; I cannot identify the flaw on my PAs and noticed a small tear on the dog tail on the back of one of my Leeds. I'm frankly grateful for the "frequency of problems," elsewise I'd own zero pairs of shell shoes.

1 person likes this.
  13. MSTRKRFT

MSTRKRFT Well-Known Member

Hello forum, I am completely clueless about dress shoes in general and so I have a few questions about the following AE shoe. I am guessing it is a vintage one since I don't see it on the AE website or maybe I missed it. Can you tell me which model/more info about this shoe and the condition you would rate it out of a 10 (10 being mint)? Thank you very much for your help! Btw, I am guessing that these are factory seconds?

Here are the pictures:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. BigRob

BigRob Well-Known Member

Does anyone here have experience with "nanotechnology" hydrophobic sprays on AE calf?

15. facet

facet Well-Known Member

Those are the Belgium. I don't know when it was made; but, yeah, they're discontinued. Condition? I really have no idea. But if I had to take a stab at it, as the great Willie Conway would have put it, I'd give them a good, solid seven and a half.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2014
  16. Subutai

Subutai Well-Known Member

I'm surprised by this. For the record, I certainly prefer Alden shell to AE, but that is based on Alden's finishing on the leather (the Alden "glaze.")
    I've found, however, that AE's QC is much higher than Alden's. Pop over in the Alden thread and it's littered with examples of people buying shoes with defects as "firsts." Most people will pay full price and keep them because even models in #8 are becoming increasingly hard to find. Even more leeway is given for rare shells (e.g. ravello, whiskey, cigar).

In any case, I'd recommend just inspecting your shoe before buying, or, if ordering online, once you receive the shoe. AE has one of the best return policies and is very customer service oriented. So evilWagon, I'd recommend you pick up your first AE shells with confidence.

17. tuckfro

tuckfro Active Member

[​IMG]
    Long Branches today. (Don't worry Optodoc, I'm planning on wearing the Promontory Points tomorrow)

18. JezeC

JezeC Well-Known Member

Since the 5-last is the narrowest last in AE's collection. Would it be typical for one to size down half a size for the Macneils, Daltons or Aberdeens?

19. drocpsu

drocpsu Member

Hello everyone. I've been reading through this thread off and on for over a year, but this is my first post here. I was just wondering if anyone has polished their bourbon AE's with a regular brown polish, and if so, how they turned out. I have a pair of bourbon McAllisters and would love to darken them just a bit. Wondering if anyone else has done this. I'd love to see some photos of what they look like.

20. joeisuzu

joeisuzu Member

Thanks for all the feedback re: a versatile dress shoe, guys. I will go with the hive mind and look at a pair of gunboats.

I had looked at the MacNeil previously but thought the reverse welt was too casual. I guess they could be MTOed with a flat welt if desired? It is a handsome shoe. I'll make my way to an AE store and decide which last works best for me and go from there. Thanks again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.