1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

Why? Have you worn them already? If you have and they fit then...

Last edited: Jan 24, 2014
  2. Burzan

Burzan Senior member

Wearing my Eagle County boots today, recently added Alden flat waxed laces and I think they look great.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. 7_rocket

7_rocket Senior member

Thanks. Would love to pick up some strands.

For Canadian members what do you guys do? Just eat the shipping cost?

4. BolognaFingers

BolognaFingers Senior member

I may have to pick up some neumoks or franciscans for that price. How do the francisan's fit compared to the 5 last?

5. halfnhalfnhalf

halfnhalfnhalf Senior member

6. pudman43

pudman43 Senior member

I'm fortunate to be in Vancouver and live in the 'burbs only 20 min from the US border. I have most of my AE, Amazon and eBay orders shipped to a logistics place just across the line, and pick up there. J

7. halfnhalfnhalf

1 person likes this.
  8. mmmtttt

mmmtttt Senior member

Quote:Yeap and with the CAD being at .90 its really annoying.

9. halfnhalfnhalf

10. OptoDoc

OptoDoc Senior member

Hmm, Gonzales is only 20 minutes away. Might have to check that store out sometime.

11. Scottyb06

Scottyb06 Senior member

I have these shoes as well and love them. Curious - how in the world did you get them for $39?

12. Indyoshi68

Indyoshi68 Senior member

I've read good things about Feibings Deglazer, Renomat, even straight up acetone (though very harsh). I am thinking about a mix of acetone & Feibings Deglazer (to give it some punch), because I want to get down to raw unfinished leather, and remove the color (bleach will be in the mix after stripping finish to whiteout the skin). From there, recondition (based on how harsh the strip was and dry the leather is) and the rest is all up to me. [​IMG]

Gotta learn how to cross-post before I get kicked off the AE thread!!!!

13. bkotsko

bkotsko Senior member

That sounds bold.
    Best of luck.
    Have you considered buying a used pair of something (from eBay) you're willing to destroy to practice on?
    That has helped me immensely in improving my finishing techniques (I still have much to learn).

14. althanis

althanis Senior member

He didn't actually get them fo $39, I wish he never said that so we could avoid this question all the time. It was a unique combination of him having store credit because of a return, a coupon he got when he recrafted his shoes (which everyone gets), a sale, and possibly something else. All those things actually cost money which isn't factored into the $39.

So yeah, it's not a $39 pair of shoes.

15. Indyoshi68

Indyoshi68 Senior member

I swapped out my $#!+kickers for AE, Santoni, Magnanni and others, but held on to a couple carcasses for JUST THIS OCCASION... Thanks for the heads up, bkotsko! I know there will be some difference in the final product based on leather quailty, techniques used, etc., so patience is the thing I will be needing the most. Very excited, though.

Help me out with some feedback and a couple shots, too; i'd love to not waste time on dumb mistakes that you can help me avoid!!! PM me with stuff if you have time - I will be forever grateful. (in chronological order...) [​IMG]...[​IMG]... [​IMG]...[​IMG]

Wanna go from here:
    [​IMG]
    ...to here:
    [​IMG]
    ...to here:
    [​IMG]
    ...to here:
    [​IMG]
    I recently saw a wholecut AE, hand painted/dyed with mottling and brush strokes that looked exactly like wood, that I would like to recreate. Easily the most beautifully finished AE shoe I've ever seen.

16. fiofiofiofio

fiofiofiofio New Member

Got my Long Branches in today. Delivered in 1.5 weeks instead of the stated 4...I'm 2 for 2 with early delivery from AE. Was looking for a pair of boots for a long time, but finding my size (6.5E) is just about impossible without spending a bunch. These were marked down and available in my exact size so it was a no brainer. The last definitely has a bigger forefoot than my Strands in the same size, which is great because I'll be wearing thicker socks with them.

I am very happy with the color as well. The welt has just enough contrast to make it stand out, although it does not appear as light as the stock photos show. Not sure what I'll end up doing with the laces, but for now they'll be red (which feel like they have a little bit of stretch to them). Wisconsin winter awaits...

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  17. OptoDoc

OptoDoc Senior member

Those are awesome, my friend. Love the look with those jeans.

18. Off My Rack

Off My Rack Senior member

Quote:Agreed... I spent about an hour going back through the thread to find out how he did this, and it was just like you said. Mostly store credit, etc. He came out of pocket $39, which is by no means a pair of shoes for $39. The whole search turned out to be a complete waste of my time, which could have been avoided if that statement was never made.

19. wonsmithr8

wonsmithr8 Senior member

Nah just been testing fit at home on carpet. Thought it was perfect fit before but I have doubts. I'm gonna stop by allen edmonds store at short hills mall in nj after work tonight so I can also try size 6.5E.

Mm at least ya paid less than I did. I paid $276. Besides that $50 you save could go towards more shoes so that you can use all those shoe trees you ordered!

20. fiofiofiofio

fiofiofiofio New Member

Thanks dude. Levi's do the trick.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.