1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. halfnhalfnhalf

halfnhalfnhalf Senior member

2. fiestaplatypus

fiestaplatypus Senior member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. halfnhalfnhalf

halfnhalfnhalf Senior member

Experience has taught me to defer to MWS on all things shoe-construction-related . . . but what I concluded about it was that the off-centeredness of the lace and tongue was actually the cause of the wrinkling. I'd say there's a good chance it has gotten worse over time - it's hard for me to believe now that it was this bad when I first got them (or perhaps my eye really has become exceptionally keen!). I'm dealing with it for now by not lacing the left one quite so tight. Ultimately, though, at the end of the day, they're Strands, they're shell, and they're mine, and I will endeavor to love them the same way Charlie Brown loved his Christmas tree.

And, NWT, thanks! I've gotten many compliments on them as I'm sure you have too. Wish I could have picked up a few more pairs in different colors. (Maybe OptoDoc has them too?)

4. tampatravel

tampatravel Senior member

Clearly...the thing to see here (pun intended) is the fact you've stolen socks from @OptoDoc ! He has to have a pair of these, right? The Strands in shell look awesome BTW and I can't see a defect either!

5. NWTeal

NWTeal Senior member

Ah so it's both!

I was actually thinking they'd be perfect for OptoDoc, too.

6. bl@ster

bl@ster Senior member

So the copper eyelets looks pretty similar to brass eyelets. Wish they had a dark brown painted metal eyelet.

7. kentyman

kentyman Senior member

Presumably they look distinct next to each other:

[​IMG]

Then again, any antiquing may lessen this affect.

I went with copper over brass, as Allison thought brass would have too much contrast over (at the time) Brown Chromexcel.

8. DNSamurai

DNSamurai Senior member

Looking at my shell options ($299 seconds) I can grab burgundy Leeds, brown Jeffersons, or burgundy Macneils.

What's the way to go here?

I currently have walnut shell Daltons, calf black and walnut Strands, blue Neumoks, brown Rothsays and Longbranches, and grey Aberdeens.

9. NicNac

NicNac Well-Known Member

Just pick up my Hamptons from the cobbler. Had a Topy half sole added to help me with some traction on our snow covered sidewalks. I love these shoes!

[​IMG]

10. WICaniac

WICaniac Senior member

Long Branches or Bayfields?

(1) Which looks better with coat & tie?
    (2) How does the fit compare?

(For those who have noticed me asking Long Branch questions for several months now, I assure you that I am near resolution. I have a pair at home begging to be worn, but--as this will be my last shoe purchase for a long, long time--I wish to avoid even a hint of buyer's regret. I wish I hadn't seen these (http://www.styleforum.net/t/168002/shoe-damage-report-shoe-p0rn-central-part-ii/675#post_3150719), as I cannot get them out of my mind--or find them.

11. OptoDoc

OptoDoc Senior member

These look much better than I expected they would. Would you be so kind as to take more pictures, including some of you wearing them? Might just push me over the edge to purchase a pair for myself.

12. Indyoshi68

Indyoshi68 Senior member

...now, THAT"S WHAT I'M TALKIN' BOUT!!! ...Purty! I want. [​IMG] Do more...pics. Or shoes...either way.

13. wonsmithr8

wonsmithr8 Senior member

Is there a list?

14. Indyoshi68

Indyoshi68 Senior member

BURGUNDY MAC. [​IMG] Burgundy whatever, man.

15. polojock615

polojock615 Senior member

All three.

16. LeviMay

LeviMay Senior member

I actually have both, 11 1/2D. Bayfields fit just a hair snugger in the toe area, but not tight by any means. The LBs are a little more comfortable, with the insole, whereas the BF is more "solid", for lack of a better word. The Vibram sole on the LB is a bit softer and more aggresively treaded than the Mini Lug on the BF, and so better on slick surfaces.

Formality-wise, I'd say the Bayfield is a touch sleeker, and, having less ornamentation, is a bit more formal.

Hope that helps!

(Of course, the go-to answer is "Get both.")

Edit: Wearing my Bayfields today:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 23, 2014
  17. Indyoshi68

Indyoshi68 Senior member

Polo... you have EVERY SHOE KNOWN TO MAN.... stop trying to convert people!!! LOL

18. Indyoshi68

Indyoshi68 Senior member

Feeling "shelly", .125? (has anyone done '.125' yet? I haven't been on my job, lately.)

19. DNSamurai

DNSamurai Senior member

Those are what were available in my size.

I was just informed though that the Leeds are "damaged" and will be taken off the inventory list.

20. Indyoshi68

Indyoshi68 Senior member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.