Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rydenfan

rydenfan Senior member

Pastor,

I hear what you are saying but have a slightly different point of view. I think the two finishes are ultimately very close to one another. I do agree out of the box that the Alden is of slightly higher finish but with some work the AE is nearly identical. I personally would never buy AE burgundy cordovan as I much prefer Alden's #8. However, AE provides me the ability to order in two different brown cordovans (something nearly impossible from Alden) and also my exact choice of welt, sole etc. Ultimately I prefer my Aldens by a very slight margin but it is very, very close.

2. chinngiskhaan

chinngiskhaan Senior member

yes indeed... they are COMPLETE GARBAGE, and must be sent to the clearance line ASAP! I just might be willing to spend 99$ on a pair... maybe.

3. DJTraveler

DJTraveler Senior member

I picked up bourbon Dalton 2nds for $199 with this current sale. It appears the $199 price for calf is not limited to walnut.

4. MoneyWellSpent

MoneyWellSpent Senior member

I'm surprised you feel that strongly about the suede Strand. I have no plans to order them, and I have actually never owned a pair of suede shoes. The Fullerton does strike me as something I'd wear, but even it will probably just be something I enjoy looking at pictures of rather than wearing, unless I can't say no to a sale down the road (or when they go on clearance a year from now). That said, I thought there was a pretty large outcry for AE to make the Strand in suede, no?

5. Aidan K

Aidan K Senior member

Yep, looks that way.

6. OlafG

OlafG Senior member

Yeah, that's what I figured too. The calf Daltons for $199 is roughly 50% off and the shell Daltons for $440 is 37% off. Both are pretty good deals. Guys. Please help me out here. I'm tempted to go with shell.

7. MoneyWellSpent

My immediate issue with them wasn't the suede. I don't like the sole. If I were ever to consider them, I'd want a solid leather sole. I think the Butyl leather sole would compliment the tone of the suede well. Also, some disagreed with me, but the pictures definitely indicate a foam insole based on the wrinkled appearance. I realize that some of AE's photos are misleading, and don't portray reality, but for me the jury is out on this one until I see it in person or someone confirms that they are the solid leather insoles (despite what one of the AE customer service people said online). I shy away from the Poron and foam insoles as much as possible.

8. Pastor

Pastor Senior member

For me AE has the edge in a few categories. Price is the biggest. I went with the AE patriots in burgundy shell and brown shell over the Alden LHS. The reason was primarily price. I got both pair (as seconds) for what I would have paid for one pair of Aldens. Plus you can't even get Alden cigar right now. The other area where I like AE is with their non traditional colors. I have the Daltons in walnut shell and the Dundees in cappuccino shell. While these colors may be soon gone from AE I liked them and picked them up (at full retail) because of their uniqueness. If, in the future, all AE offers in shell is black, burgundy and the occasional brown then Alden will probably be the better value unless you can get AE's on sale.

For me Alden makes a great casual shoe/boot and all my Aldens are worn with casual dress. AE excels in dressier situations which for me is most of the time. Let's face it, $700 for shoes/boots is expensive and the quality/value is not there at that price point. For another $100 I can get Carmina Shell or even Vass calf which both of these are far higher quality than anything AE or Alden makes. I've even seen some Edward Green shoes on sale at the $850 price point.

The greatest strength that I see in AE is that their prices are low compared to other brands. If this changes then they will lose their appeal. $345 (the current price of calf models) is higher than what most people will pay for shoes but that price is at least attainable. I know i've personally turned 5-6 guys to AE who would have never paid that kind of price without some prompting and pushing from me. Now that they have tried AE they will be customers for life unless the prices continue to sneak up. If that happens they will probably move to other brands. AE has a great niche in the market between lesser quality brands such as Cole Haan, Johntson and Murphy, Kenneth Cole and higher quality brands such as Crockett and Jones and Carmina. In my opinion AE needs to stay in that niche and if on occasion they can offer something unique (like they did with the walnut and cappuccino webgems) then all the better.

9. poena

poena Senior member

my new strands are creasing in front of the captoe on just the left shoe... :-/

10. OptoDoc

OptoDoc Senior member

Thank you, sir. I'd love to see real life pics of this and the brogue suede Strand in comparison.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2013
  11. MoneyWellSpent

Well said. I think AE is fully aware of this niche that they have created which is largely due to their price point. I'd be surprised if it ever significantly changes. I am sure prices will inevitably sneak up, but the prices of the other brands will likely sneak up accordingly. Thus, the niche will likely still exist.

12. OptoDoc

OptoDoc Senior member

Just to add my .02, I'm an 8E in the 5 and an 8.5D in the 1. I probably could have even gone with a 9 in the 1 if that was my only option.

To me the 1 last definitely fits wider than the 5.

13. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

The other difference is that AE is frequently putting its models on sale for 25-33% off, so very few people are actually paying $345 plus tax for a pair of calfskin AE's. As I can get Carmina for $400 shipped, I'd be hard pressed to pay $350 plus tax for AE.

14. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

My tongue was firmly planted in my cheek on this one. I think I may pick up the suede Strand this Fall.

I actually really like the danite sole for this one. I intend to wear them as a versatile shoe (jeans on occasion, with slacks and with flannels and a cashmere blazer), so I think it fits nicely with this versatility as well as the theory that suede is a great rainy day shoe.

15. MoneyWellSpent

Quite true.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.