Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. md2010

md2010 Senior member

Saunder is narrow as. I wear 8 eee in all 5 lasted ae( a bit loose - better fit is 8 ee - but hard to get hold of ee) . I have saunder in 8.5 d. They were long as and narrow like a mfoo. I had to rip the sock lner and stretch them for months and they are barely wearable.
    8.5 D felt like 9 B. Now slaton is a bit more forgiving. I have them in 8.5D again had to rip sock liner and stretch them. Slaton feels a bit shorter than saunder or Sanderson and a bit tigher around the vamp.. I think I can wear a 9D in Slaton .
    Sanderson is also really narrow but supports higher instep.. I have them in 8D feels like 8 B.
    I have ordered Illford in 8.5E hopefully they are wide enough.
    [​IMG]

yeah dalton toe box super soft. I can press the toe box all the way down with very light pressure. I don't care about the creasing either. I think its a manufacturing fault. I tried to use a pen on the vamp and tired to make deliberate creasing on the vamp. But the toe box being too soft as soon as i bent the shoe it creates creasing on the wing. Sing for dalton is quite odd. I am 8 eee in strand , fift ave, players ...and most ae. I went up 9 d on dalton adn it fits goo. I still felt the toe box is a bit narrower than my 8eee strand. And my fift st boot in 8.5d winch is longer than the 9 d daltons.

2. Pastor

Pastor Senior member

I'm going to have to wait until they come out with seconds. :nodding:

3. tifosi

tifosi Tire Kicker

I want it in shell [​IMG]

4. rydenfan

rydenfan Senior member

I know a few folks have ordered cappuccino Dundees recently. I am curious what color stitching on the welt you went with?

I did a reverse split welt with chili and light brown edge dressing. I chose a lighter thread color which is tan I believe. My hope is they will look similar to this. However, I chose a Dainite sole to get them a bit more rugged/inclement weather feel

[​IMG]

5. md2010

md2010 Senior member

Same here. AE finishing on firsts being so poor that the difference between ae firsts vs seconds is hardly noticeable. And ae seconds are some of the best vale- if not THE best value.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2013
  6. tifosi

tifosi Tire Kicker

Hmmm. I didn't specify the stitching. I did the chili reverse split and light brown edge dressing. I am hoping they look exactly like that too! I wish I would have went with the Dainite. I guess it may not be too late???

7. tampatravel

tampatravel Senior member

With Thanksgiving coming up in a few months...AE has released these:

I give you...THE PINE RIVER

[​IMG]
    I guess it's the "rough around the edges" brother of the Neumora???

OF NOTE: One very cool thing is that they come from the factory with Dainite soles. A trend I hope continues!

Last edited: Aug 28, 2013
  8. rydenfan

rydenfan Senior member

When did you place the order? It may not be too late. The normal welt stitching is a dark thread color so that is what it will likely be.

9. tifosi

tifosi Tire Kicker

I just placed the order last week, 8/21. I'm pretty sure I can still change it. So I guess I'll send an email about the thread color and the sole.

10. msulinski

msulinski Senior member

Quote:I don't remember what the price was before, but $395 is consistent with their other boots, like the Dalton.

11. rydenfan

rydenfan Senior member

a shell Portland would be very nice

12. rydenfan

rydenfan Senior member

You should be fine. If you work with Allison she will understand exactly what you want considering I just drove her crazy about it all :)

I had requested the Dainite sole in dark brown as some of my Trickers utilize it and it is really nice; however, AE only stocks it in black for now. They offered to edge stain the side of the Dainite sole dark brown as opposed to black. I did not do this as I felt it would require more maintenance, but it is an option should you like it?

13. OlafG

OlafG Senior member

That's an awesome price for shell Daltons. I already have the walnuts so I'm going to settle for one, either the chocolate or the shell. The folks at Riverhead said that the Chocolate was a part of the sale, the shell was not but they have a 20% coupon going on which makes it out at about $440. I can't afford both the shell and the chocolate AND the shell, plus I already have a wingtip boot, two actually since I got a pair of Loakes for about $150 a while back.

14. Pastor

Pastor Senior member

A shell Portland would probably be $695 which is getting dangerously close (if not higher in some cases) than Alden shell. I have 5 shell shoes made by Allen Edmonds and 5 made by Alden and the Alden shell is finished a little nicer. If the price was not an issue then I would probably go with the Alden version in #8 shell which can be had for $701 at The Shoe Mart.

15. tifosi

tifosi Tire Kicker

I agree 100%. I guess the only way I'd go with AE is if they could offer me a shell color other than #8 or black.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.