• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I already buffed out the scuff...here they are...

I have some renomat on the way from http://ashineandco.com and I can't tell you how awesome they've been. Cheapest Saphir prices and shipping half the amount of the other guys...

That renomat will remove the extra polish AE seems to throw on these!

Are these calfskin? If so, why are you going to use Renomat on brand new calfskin shoes? Just use a little renovateur to moisturize them and you will be good to go.

rogejo321

Reaction score

Thanks, are you saying that the sanderson was too narrow, or that the Saunders boot was too narrow vs the Sanderson?

Any other opinions on how the Saunders boot fits vs the slaton or sanderson?

I actually ordered a pair of the Tan Saunders boots last good sale and found them to fit a good bit larger than my 5 last shoes. As a point of reference, I am a 9.5D measured by an AE SA, but I find that the 8 last actually fits me the best. Back when I ordered the Saunders, I also ordered a pair of Slatons, which I found to be a bit more snug than say a 5 or 8 last shoe of the same size (which is actually great for me). I am waiting on a pair of Sandersons that are arriving today, but if they fit like the Slatons and are in good shape, I will be quite pleased. Hopefully that helps.

md2010

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Cordovan Daltons at work today...

nice boots. Another dalton with wing creasing.

tampatravel

Reaction score
I was going to try to remove a little of that excess polish they put on the sides of my Strands.

...if you don't think I should I'll just go with the Renovateur and leave the Renomat for my shells.

Again, I can't say how great http://ashineandco.com was to work with. They're just starting out with offering the mail order of Saphir items.

They also offer up a mean shine if you're in NYC or San Francisco. Unfortunately I'm in the heart of the Aldo/Steve Madden/Kenneth Cole square toe epidemic.

Subutai

Reaction score

nice boots. Another dalton with wing creasing.

Thanks. Yes, the toe box is very soft on the Dalton, not sure why. Crease goes right over the wing on both shoes, but more so on the left. Not sure what can be done. I do think I will use them as more of a casual boot so I don't mind the creases too much

Last edited:

spitshine123

Reaction score
I actually ordered a pair of the Tan Saunders boots last good sale and found them to fit a good bit larger than my 5 last shoes. As a point of reference, I am a 9.5D measured by an AE SA, but I find that the 8 last actually fits me the best. Back when I ordered the Saunders, I also ordered a pair of Slatons, which I found to be a bit more snug than say a 5 or 8 last shoe of the same size (which is actually great for me). I am waiting on a pair of Sandersons that are arriving today, but if they fit like the Slatons and are in good shape, I will be quite pleased. Hopefully that helps.
Thanks for the response I was looking for! For what it's worth, my Sandersons fit the same as my Slatons (one width tigher and shorter than a 5 last shoe of the same size). The Illfords in the same size were way too big, so maybe AE uses the same boot last for the Illfords and Saunders.

rollinsay

Reaction score

Black shell Dundees. Anyone else experience this almost brownish/reddish tint with black shell under direct sunlight?

MoneyWellSpent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure how that will look on the 1 last. I'm also curious why the picture of this snuff suede shoe makes it look the same as the brogue suede strand in the catalog.

I've got a pair of casual balmorals on the 1-last and absolutely love them. These would be casual to be sure, but I think they'd look fantastic with chinos or dark denim. I think they would be an awesome substitute for anything you would wear a pair of Bucks with, but these would spice up the look a bit, and set them apart.

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score
The Portland boot is back up on the AE website but if i'm not mistaken the price has been increased. It's now $395
mad.gif
Well that's good that it's back up...maybe they got so much interest they figured they should raise the price!

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was going to try to remove a little of that excess polish they put on the sides of my Strands.

...if you don't think I should I'll just go with the Renovateur and leave the Renomat for my shells.

Again, I can't say how great http://ashineandco.com was to work with. They're just starting out with offering the mail order of Saphir items.

They also offer up a mean shine if you're in NYC or San Francisco. Unfortunately I'm in the heart of the Aldo/Steve Madden/Kenneth Cole square toe epidemic.

I would not use the Renomat on a brand new pair of calfskin shoes. It's not like shell where you need to get all the factory polish off the shoes. In fact, unless you are going to exclusively go with Renovateur for the shoes, you are going to need to add polish to shine and protect the shoes. Just condition and polish the shoes and you're good to go.

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Portland boot is back up on the AE website but if i'm not mistaken the price has been increased. It's now $395
mad.gif

Does this put to rest any doubt that Paul Grangard and AE read this thread? We all salivated over this boot. The boot subsequently gets pulled. A few days later it appears at the higher price.

Now, with regard to those suede strands, they are awful, ugly, an abomination. I don't think AE could give them away. They need to go immediately to the clearance line for $99 per pair.

I've got a pair of casual balmorals on the 1-last and absolutely love them. These would be casual to be sure, but I think they'd look fantastic with chinos or dark denim. I think they would be an awesome substitute for anything you would wear a pair of Bucks with, but these would spice up the look a bit, and set them apart.

I can see them as a casual shoe. I was somewhat perplexed by the fact they were on the dress shoe page right next to the strands and on the 1 last. You also have to keep in mind I'm not a fan of the Leeds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads