Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

Are these calfskin? If so, why are you going to use Renomat on brand new calfskin shoes? Just use a little renovateur to moisturize them and you will be good to go.

2. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

I do not think anyone has purchased the new suede strands yet. However, I have no reason to believe they will fit differently than the normal strand.

3. rogejo321

rogejo321 Well-Known Member

I actually ordered a pair of the Tan Saunders boots last good sale and found them to fit a good bit larger than my 5 last shoes. As a point of reference, I am a 9.5D measured by an AE SA, but I find that the 8 last actually fits me the best. Back when I ordered the Saunders, I also ordered a pair of Slatons, which I found to be a bit more snug than say a 5 or 8 last shoe of the same size (which is actually great for me). I am waiting on a pair of Sandersons that are arriving today, but if they fit like the Slatons and are in good shape, I will be quite pleased. Hopefully that helps.

4. md2010

md2010 Senior member

nice boots. Another dalton with wing creasing.

5. tampatravel

tampatravel Senior member

I was going to try to remove a little of that excess polish they put on the sides of my Strands.

...if you don't think I should I'll just go with the Renovateur and leave the Renomat for my shells.

Again, I can't say how great http://ashineandco.com was to work with. They're just starting out with offering the mail order of Saphir items.

They also offer up a mean shine if you're in NYC or San Francisco. Unfortunately I'm in the heart of the Aldo/Steve Madden/Kenneth Cole square toe epidemic.

6. Subutai

Subutai Senior member

Walnut McAllisters day:

[​IMG]

7. Subutai

Subutai Senior member

Thanks. Yes, the toe box is very soft on the Dalton, not sure why. Crease goes right over the wing on both shoes, but more so on the left. Not sure what can be done. I do think I will use them as more of a casual boot so I don't mind the creases too much

Last edited: Aug 28, 2013

8. spitshine123

spitshine123 Senior member

Thanks for the response I was looking for! For what it's worth, my Sandersons fit the same as my Slatons (one width tigher and shorter than a 5 last shoe of the same size). The Illfords in the same size were way too big, so maybe AE uses the same boot last for the Illfords and Saunders.

9. Pastor

Pastor Senior member

The Portland boot is back up on the AE website but if i'm not mistaken the price has been increased. It's now $395
    :mad:

10. rollinsay

rollinsay Active Member

[​IMG]

Black shell Dundees. Anyone else experience this almost brownish/reddish tint with black shell under direct sunlight?

11. MoneyWellSpent

MoneyWellSpent Senior member

I've got a pair of casual balmorals on the 1-last and absolutely love them. These would be casual to be sure, but I think they'd look fantastic with chinos or dark denim. I think they would be an awesome substitute for anything you would wear a pair of Bucks with, but these would spice up the look a bit, and set them apart.

12. tifosi

tifosi Tire Kicker

Well that's good that it's back up...maybe they got so much interest they figured they should raise the price!

13. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

I would not use the Renomat on a brand new pair of calfskin shoes. It's not like shell where you need to get all the factory polish off the shoes. In fact, unless you are going to exclusively go with Renovateur for the shoes, you are going to need to add polish to shine and protect the shoes. Just condition and polish the shoes and you're good to go.

14. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

Does this put to rest any doubt that Paul Grangard and AE read this thread? We all salivated over this boot. The boot subsequently gets pulled. A few days later it appears at the higher price.

Now, with regard to those suede strands, they are awful, ugly, an abomination. I don't think AE could give them away. They need to go immediately to the clearance line for $99 per pair.

I can see them as a casual shoe. I was somewhat perplexed by the fact they were on the dress shoe page right next to the strands and on the 1 last. You also have to keep in mind I'm not a fan of the Leeds.

15. LeviMay

LeviMay Senior member

+1:

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.