Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mmmtttt

mmmtttt Senior member

Really considering pulling the trigger on a pair of Dalton, I am only a little worried because Im not sure what size to get. Some people said that the 1 last was a little narrower than the 5 last and to order 1 width higher (D to E), some say to stick to the same size. Is there more of a consensus when it comes to this ? Did anyone get the Daltons in the same size as their other 5 last shoes ?

2. ScottyBoy920

ScottyBoy920 Senior member

Lets see them! and the scuff.

3. ScottyBoy920

I wear an 11.5D on the 5 but was fitted 11.5E on the Dalton last.

4. Pastor

Pastor Senior member

I got them in the same size BUT since they are boots I also usually wear them with thicker socks.

5. BootSpell

BootSpell Senior member

I know some on this thread get the same size in the 5-last Strands as the 1-last Daltons. I personally sized 1/2 size up for the Daltons (same width). That works pretty well for me. I maybe could have gone up a width in the Strands. This is probably confusing to you considering the other input you have had. I went 7.5D Strands and 8D in the Daltons and maybe I could have gone with 7.5E Strands.

I think I would start with one of two choices for the Daltons if I were you: 1) Go up 1/2 size and stick with D width. 2) Stay the same size and go to an E width.

Good luck.

6. Subutai

Subutai Senior member

I have not found that to be the case at all. I wear EE in the 5 last and E in the 1 last.

7. mmmtttt

mmmtttt Senior member

Thanks for the advice, the answer from the AE store was actually that the 1 last was wider than the 5 which confused me a little.

and then comes the opposite answer from subutai, im sad now.

edit : subutai's answer does confirm the AE salesman's affirmation but is the opposite of what people have been saying before.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2013

8. tifosi

tifosi Tire Kicker

I, personally, wear the same size in the 5 last and the 1 last.
    Actually his answer confirms AE's answer. If he takes a EE in 5 and E in 1, that means the 1 last is wider.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2013

9. tampatravel

tampatravel Senior member

I already buffed out the scuff...here they are...

[​IMG]

I have some renomat on the way from http://ashineandco.com and I can't tell you how awesome they've been. Cheapest Saphir prices and shipping half the amount of the other guys...

That renomat will remove the extra polish AE seems to throw on these!

10. gort

gort Senior member

My factory second park aves arrived today. Look perfect, can't even tell why they were rejected. Very satisfied. Shoes + a set of trees cost me $226 shipped. :D

11. tifosi

tifosi Tire Kicker

Lookin good, Tampa.

12. SBear

SBear Senior member

My AE SO explained that the tighter fit of the Dalton vs 5 last shoes is not because of the last but because of the way a boot must be crafted. Something about changing the slope of the vamp to rise to the boot and that this creates a tighter fit.

13. bespoken pa

bespoken pa Senior member

I have the dalton and the strand. I have much more room in the dalton. The 1 last is a boot last and I really cannot fathom it being more narrow than the five. If anything the dalton should be looser in the vamp as a blutcher compared to the bal strand. My dalton is much easier on my high instep.

14. ScottyBoy920

[​IMG]

Cronmoks before and after applying Mink Oil and giving them a good brushing. I really do prefer the outcome and can't wait to see how they continue to darken.

I will say that the oil/paste is still noticeable to the touch, not sure if that is normal. Anyone know? Also how often should I reapply?

15. BootSpell

BootSpell Senior member

I got tired of the mess in my closet from my boots all over the place. My first step was to get rid of lot of my clothes that I hardly wore to make room for some shoe racks. I got some cheap plastic/metal racks but they just didn't do the trick. So I got a woodworker to make me a boot rack of heart of cedar or aromatic cedar or whatever it's called. I'm much happier now but I don't think my closet is big enough for another rack...

The before:
    [​IMG]

The after:

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.