Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Senior member

Interesting, I can see what your talking about from the picture especially in the creases. I think it was Big Al in Philly that had the same thing except with many layers of Saphir and it was really bad until he stripped them down. It is almost like the polish is not penetrating into the leather at all but sitting on top and is being pushed out of the creases. While Saphir cream and other creams have a tendency to penetrate deeper than polish I have found that the Saphir polishes usually penetrates some and are more even in color than other wax polishes. When darkening shoes I have noticed that the creases have a tendency to show lighter sometimes but seldom to that extend with Saphir. Until now.

2. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Senior member

I am a 10D on the 5 last, of which I have quite a few in both calf and shell. My Elgin, Black Hills, and McTavish are all 9.5D and fit pretty much identical to my 10D 5 lasted regular AE shoes. My McTavish are the natural tan, not sure if the leather color should matter though. There can be some variance in the finished shoe fit sometimes even on the same model shoe. Or it could be that my foot has enough room in it that just works for me and there is a difference with the McTavish? If there is it can't be by much.
    This is GREAT advice in my experience.

3. DJTraveler

DJTraveler Senior member

The stock photos of the bourbon Dalton have been loaded to the website. I'll post my own photos later today once I receive my pair of 2nds.

[​IMG]

4. Winston S.

Winston S. Senior member

You're going to have a tough time finding shell chukkas for $350 anywhere unless they are seconds, close outs, or deeply discounted.

5. DJTraveler

DJTraveler Senior member

FedEx came early. Here are my bourbon Dalton 2nds straight out of the box. Can't really find any major defects yet! VERY HAPPY! In the 3rd picture thought I might as well show these off in front of my own bourbon. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. LeviMay

LeviMay Senior member

Thank you, sir! That means a lot coming from as esteemed a gentleman as yourself!

7. Count de Monet

Count de Monet Senior member

Thanks to David Copeland's contact at Nordstrom I was able to get the snuff suede Neumoks at the sale price despite that color not officially being part of the sale. Only problem was, there wasn't a single pair in my size (10.5E) in either Nordstrum's or AE's system. So, it became a de facto MTO at no extra charge. Four weeks later, they showed up about an hour ago.

Very comfortable right out of the box. Many thanks to David and his man at Nordstrom.

[​IMG]

8. masernaut

masernaut Senior member

Mora 2.0 available in brown burnished calf! [​IMG]
    Now to wait for a brown suede!

Promontory Point boots in black football grain. IMO, way better looking than brown. Would be great for the harsh winters.

AE, you need a better photography/web design team. Seriously. Look at this:
    [​IMG]

Is it really a good idea to show that your quality lacks consistency? As a man who has a partial mind to business, I can confidently say the answer is a strong "NO!"

Case #2:
    [​IMG]

Not only do your online pictures lack the ability to show the character and true colour of a shoe (I still think the Morgan is horrendous; even more so based on the pictures because as a customer, that's what I imagine the shoe looks), but your quality is lacking once again. The shoe is completely bent at the back.

Further evidence (the same shoe!):
    [​IMG]

The stitching at the bottom of the heel looks terrible. It's as if your employee(s) decided it wasn't worth their time to finish a product.

Case #3:
    [​IMG]
    Shaker Heights. what's going on with the heel? The back view shows the heel is off centre.

As a customer I am utterly embarrassed by Allen Edmonds. It's great that you're introducing new styles (albeit, very risky), but if you wish to move inventory and hold on to your valued customers, you have to pick it up a notch. Your online pictures and descriptions are severely lacking; and your quality is even worse. I cannot convince myself to buy First Quality shoes from AE except for the feeling of "patriotism" when English and Spanish made shoes can be had at the same price (or lower).

Paul, if you ever get around to reading this, please take my words to heart. I am positive that others are thinking this same thing.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2013

9. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

I've successfully used Saphir dark brown polish to darken a pair of medium brown shoes, but I suspect the issue here is due to how light walnut is compared to cognac. I may just use some renovateur to get the top layer off and then apply walnut polish. Worse case scenario I use renomat or send them in for recrafting. One of the reasons I experimented is that these shoes are on the verge of needing new soles, which means I can just send them in for recrafting at the same time.

10. tampatravel

tampatravel Senior member

11. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

Here's another picture that shows the crease issue a little more clearly. Note how it almost looks a little swirly.

[​IMG]

12. tifosi

tifosi Tire Kicker

I haven't tried them...but I may, now. Thanks for the link.

13. tifosi

tifosi Tire Kicker

14. V1KTA222

V1KTA222 Senior member

Those bourbon daltons look great! Making me think about getting a pair...

Something I've noticed while looking at stock pics of the Walnut Dalton in calf compared to people's real life pics is that the amount of burnishing varies. It almost always seem the burnished toe looks darker in stock pictures. Is this true for people who own these? Do they come with less of a burnished look, or does the burnishing go away after wear/maintenance/polishing?

15. chinngiskhaan

chinngiskhaan Senior member

VERY VERY NICE BOOTS! The AE website pic just doesn't do them justice, and i'm sure they are even more beautiful in real life! Might just have to get my hands on a pair of these! I was looking for something just a bit darker than the walnut... this ought to do the trick!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.