• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

SBear

Reaction score

Dalton boots for $199??  I need to see if they have my size!!  I'm sure it's been mentioned, how do these fit compared to the Strands?

I was at an AE store last week and they strongly recommended going one higher width with the Dalton, due to the way the boot has to be crafted.. E.g., I'm 10D in PA and Strand and they recommended 10 E for Strand. I tried on Dalton in both 10D and 10E. 10D was tighter over my arch-toes region than my PAs and Strands while the 10E was just a little big throughout. Medium socks, instead of the very thin I was wearing, would probably have made the 10E right.

Anyone else think this is best - up one notch in width from right size on a 5 last to fit the Dalton?

rpearlberg

Reaction score
I was at an AE store last week and they strongly recommended going one higher width with the Dalton, due to the way the boot has to be crafted.. E.g., I'm 10D in PA and Strand and they recommended 10 E for Strand. I tried on Dalton in both 10D and 10E. 10D was tighter over my arch-toes region than my PAs and Strands while the 10E was just a little big throughout. Medium socks, instead of the very thin I was wearing, would probably have made the 10E right.

Anyone else think this is best - up one notch in width from right size on a 5 last to fit the Dalton?

Thanks! I sent an email, but haven't heard back yet...

drcharlie

Reaction score
I was told on the phone about the $10 restocking fee for seconds. The $10 restocking fee was also printed on the bottom of my receipt.

I emailed a request for inventory in my sizes but haven't heard back as of 1 pm Central. The sales associate on the phone said they had around 300 email requests regarding inventory. Better to call shoe bank at this point.

On a happy note, I was able to order a Black Park Avenue and a Brown Strand (both Brooks Brothers versions) over the phone. They didn't have any of the Ralph Lauren shoes for me when I asked for availability over the phone. Those Saunders boots sure looked nice for $129.

rpearlberg

Reaction score
I think I'll get the Dark Brown Long Branch, same fit as Strand?

What is the difference between the Brooks versions of the Strand?

drcharlie

Reaction score
The Brooks Brothers version of the Strand is model number MH00025 with the name "Medallion Perforated Captoes" on the brooksbrothers website. The differences I see on the website are that the Brooks version has the leather/rubber dovetailed heel and the rubber toppy with three triple stripes (repp look) on the sole. I have heard the Brooks has a poron insole. I wish I could advise you regarding fit but I have not compared the two styles on my feet. I have read mixed reports whether Allen Edmonds will refurbish the Brooks brand shoes.

rpearlberg

Reaction score
The Brooks Brothers version of the Strand is model number MH00025 with the name "Medallion Perforated Captoes" on the brooksbrothers website. The differences I see on the website are that the Brooks version has the leather/rubber dovetailed heel and the rubber toppy with three triple stripes (repp look) on the sole. I have heard the Brooks has a poron insole. I wish I could advise you regarding fit but I have not compared the two styles on my feet. I have read mixed reports whether Allen Edmonds will refurbish the Brooks brand shoes.

Thank you. There has to be a reason they are much cheaper...
I'll get the Long Branch for now and think about the others...

masernaut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've got the name from AE customer service (incredibly fast and helpful, as always)! Here's the full response below. It looks like it is corrected grain (good eye masernaut), but I actually kind of like the shininess (I know, forgive me!). If I change my mind, I might try and be ambitious like this guy who refinished his AE polished cobbler shoes with excellent results.

Dear Sir:

Thank you for your email. The shoe is the old Dalton model. This is made in the Burgundy Polished Cobbler.
The leather is a full grain calfskin with a lacquered finish. This model was discontinued in the late 90’s.
If you have any further questions please call toll free 800.235.2348 and speak with one of our representatives.

Sincerely,
Tina Lemanski

I'm glad you received some assistance from AE. But are they sure it is full grain? From my knowledge, 'Polished Cobbler' has been used to describe AE's corrected grain offerings.

jch1

Reaction score
It's going to take a while if you try it with paste wax. For something quicker, but probably more permanent you may want to try cream polish.
Interesting- I didn't know that. So with that being said, which color of Saphir polish would be ideal?

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you. There has to be a reason they are much cheaper...
I'll get the Long Branch for now and think about the others...

For whatever reason, the seconds AE made for Brooks Brothers and Ralph Lauren frequently get marked down to the ridiculous level of $129. As noted above, the only difference is the sole and the poron insole. As for the difference in fit, there was a good description a page or two back. The report was that the width and length are the same, but there is less volume in the shoe due to the space the poron insole takes up.

Anybody seen suede strands on the 2nds list?

Have not checked yet, but have checked the Brooks Brothers site to see if BB will sell the Strands in suede. I can't justify paying $200 for seconds when firsts are not much more than that, but I would buy seconds for $129.

I'm glad you received some assistance from AE. But are they sure it is full grain? From my knowledge, 'Polished Cobbler' has been used to describe AE's corrected grain offerings.

Just because it is corrected grain does not mean it is not also full grain.

ScottyBoy920

Reaction score
Has anyone tried getting the Jville store to take the Tanger coupon during this current sale?

mmmtttt

Reaction score
The question has been asked a few pages before but there doesn't seem to be any answer for it. The flyer showed Cliftons going for 179$ but the list sent by the shoe bank doesn't seem to include them, is there a reason for that ?

Subutai

Reaction score

The question has been asked a few pages before but there doesn't seem to be any answer for it. The flyer showed Cliftons going for 179$ but the list sent by the shoe bank doesn't seem to include them, is there a reason for that ?

The email I received also shows Cliftons for $179

Shiny

Reaction score

It could be that the list in your size has no cliftons left. I'm a 9.5d and there were 20 something cliftons in walnut available as of this morning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads