Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SBear

SBear Senior member

I was at an AE store last week and they strongly recommended going one higher width with the Dalton, due to the way the boot has to be crafted.. E.g., I'm 10D in PA and Strand and they recommended 10 E for Strand. I tried on Dalton in both 10D and 10E. 10D was tighter over my arch-toes region than my PAs and Strands while the 10E was just a little big throughout. Medium socks, instead of the very thin I was wearing, would probably have made the 10E right.

Anyone else think this is best - up one notch in width from right size on a 5 last to fit the Dalton?

2. rpearlberg

rpearlberg Senior member

Thanks! I sent an email, but haven't heard back yet...

3. uunngghh

uunngghh Member

I doubt it, the description says the chelseas are imported.

4. drcharlie

drcharlie Well-Known Member

I was told on the phone about the $10 restocking fee for seconds. The $10 restocking fee was also printed on the bottom of my receipt.

I emailed a request for inventory in my sizes but haven't heard back as of 1 pm Central. The sales associate on the phone said they had around 300 email requests regarding inventory. Better to call shoe bank at this point.

On a happy note, I was able to order a Black Park Avenue and a Brown Strand (both Brooks Brothers versions) over the phone. They didn't have any of the Ralph Lauren shoes for me when I asked for availability over the phone. Those Saunders boots sure looked nice for $129.

5. rpearlberg

rpearlberg Senior member

I think I'll get the Dark Brown Long Branch, same fit as Strand?

What is the difference between the Brooks versions of the Strand?

6. drcharlie

drcharlie Well-Known Member

The Brooks Brothers version of the Strand is model number MH00025 with the name "Medallion Perforated Captoes" on the brooksbrothers website. The differences I see on the website are that the Brooks version has the leather/rubber dovetailed heel and the rubber toppy with three triple stripes (repp look) on the sole. I have heard the Brooks has a poron insole. I wish I could advise you regarding fit but I have not compared the two styles on my feet. I have read mixed reports whether Allen Edmonds will refurbish the Brooks brand shoes.

7. rpearlberg

rpearlberg Senior member

Thank you. There has to be a reason they are much cheaper...
    I'll get the Long Branch for now and think about the others...

8. reidrothchild

reidrothchild Senior member

Anybody seen suede strands on the 2nds list?

9. masernaut

masernaut Senior member

I'm glad you received some assistance from AE. But are they sure it is full grain? From my knowledge, 'Polished Cobbler' has been used to describe AE's corrected grain offerings.

10. jch1

jch1 Senior member

Interesting- I didn't know that. So with that being said, which color of Saphir polish would be ideal?

11. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

For whatever reason, the seconds AE made for Brooks Brothers and Ralph Lauren frequently get marked down to the ridiculous level of $129. As noted above, the only difference is the sole and the poron insole. As for the difference in fit, there was a good description a page or two back. The report was that the width and length are the same, but there is less volume in the shoe due to the space the poron insole takes up.

Have not checked yet, but have checked the Brooks Brothers site to see if BB will sell the Strands in suede. I can't justify paying $200 for seconds when firsts are not much more than that, but I would buy seconds for $129.

Just because it is corrected grain does not mean it is not also full grain.

12. ScottyBoy920

ScottyBoy920 Senior member

Has anyone tried getting the Jville store to take the Tanger coupon during this current sale?

13. mmmtttt

mmmtttt Senior member

The question has been asked a few pages before but there doesn't seem to be any answer for it. The flyer showed Cliftons going for 179$ but the list sent by the shoe bank doesn't seem to include them, is there a reason for that ?

14. Subutai

Subutai Senior member

The email I received also shows Cliftons for $179

15. Shiny

Shiny Senior member

It could be that the list in your size has no cliftons left. I'm a 9.5d and there were 20 something cliftons in walnut available as of this morning.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.