Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PlaceboFX

PlaceboFX Active Member

Disappointing if it is corrected grain. Thanks for the input; a newbie like me doesn't know how to tell the difference.

That said, I got them for $99, and it does fill a big hole in my new rotation (no burgundy/merlot shoes just yet! Just black, bourbon, and walnut). Thanks for the advice! If they do fit, I'm planning on using them for sure, just for fun.

Here's a picture of the numbers on the inside. I also just sent an email to Allen Edmonds customer service with the picture, asking about the model/when it's from. They should give me some good information to post as well.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 22, 2013

2. jch1

jch1 Senior member

Another question- I know similar questions have been asked before, but I'd like to darken my walnut strands a bit. I fear that using reno on them may have stripped some of the color, and I'd like to bring them back a bit. Has anybody used Saphir waxes on your walnut strands? If so, which colors? I know I saw a fellow use cognac a few pages ago, and he didn't seem entirely pleased. Any others with first-hand experience?

3. DJTraveler

DJTraveler Senior member

Just purchased the Dalton in bourbon for $199 from the Wisconsin shoebank. Will post pics once I receive them. Amazing deal!!

4. drcharlie

drcharlie Well-Known Member

Sierra Trading Post just got in some Allen Edmonds belts at discounted prices. I would suggest signing up for their Deal Flyer emails--they send almost daily deals for 30, 35, 40, and 45% off their already discounted prices. 45% off deals are on limited selection. Sometimes the 35% off plus 99 cent shipping works out to their best Deal Flyer deal.

The belts are only available in limited sizes.

The models include:
    Nashua
    Saddlehorn
    Thayer
    Cashmere-Suede (generic name)
    Milford
    Wide Leather Belt (generic name)

Sierra Trading Post has good deals with the extra percentages off. However, they have not been selling many Allen Edmonds products on there lately. I think the last shoes available were Hillsborough loafers and that might have been a year ago.

5. rpearlberg

rpearlberg Senior member

Dalton boots for $199?? I need to see if they have my size!! I'm sure it's been mentioned, how do these fit compared to the Strands?

6. bespoken pa

bespoken pa Senior member

also amazing your pics will come out before the ae website updates.

7. DJTraveler

DJTraveler Senior member

They are on a different last, but personally I wear the same size in the Strands as I do in the Dalton.

8. bespoken pa

bespoken pa Senior member

9. GOP Shoe Guy

GOP Shoe Guy Senior member

[​IMG]
    The inaugural wearing of my new Grey Daltons. I picked these up for $125 during the recent 2 for $250 sale. I now have the Dalton in Walnut, Grey and Burgundy Cordovan. I have a pair of Black Daltons on order. When they arrive I will post my Dalton family. I am interested in the Bourbon Dalton. I am waiting to see pics of it. I was unsure of the grey, but now that I have it, I see some uses for it that will be pretty cool. Glad I got them at such a great price.

10. jasonmx3

jasonmx3 Senior member

Thank you both! Seems like the 8 last is both long and narrow. I was under the impression that the 5 last is the longest (and narrowest among the AE lasts), so all the other lasts would be shorter and wider in comparison.

I was hoping to go with bluchers since I'm unable to fit them at this time. Guess they're just as complicated to size as the Bals.[​IMG]

11. cincikid

cincikid Senior member

Just the heads-up that starting today an $10 restocking fee will be applied to each pair of AE seconds (not sure if this will also apply to the firsts).

12. Winston S.

Winston S. Senior member

It's going to take a while if you try it with paste wax. For something quicker, but probably more permanent you may want to try cream polish.

13. PlaceboFX

PlaceboFX Active Member

I've got the name from AE customer service (incredibly fast and helpful, as always)! Here's the full response below. It looks like it is corrected grain (good eye masernaut), but I actually kind of like the shininess (I know, forgive me!). If I change my mind, I might try and be ambitious like this guy who refinished his AE polished cobbler shoes with excellent results.

Dear Sir:

Thank you for your email. The shoe is the old Dalton model. This is made in the Burgundy Polished Cobbler.
    The leather is a full grain calfskin with a lacquered finish. This model was discontinued in the late 90’s.
    If you have any further questions please call toll free 800.235.2348 and speak with one of our representatives.

Sincerely,
    Tina Lemanski

Last edited: Aug 22, 2013

14. chinngiskhaan

chinngiskhaan Senior member

yeah... If only they would just take real pictures instead of wasting their time trying to (and failing to) recreate the look of the shoe by way of computer graphics.

15. Dillardiv

Dillardiv Senior member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.