Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Winston S.

Winston S. Senior member

Agree here that the snuff may not work as well in the winter, but that is region/climate specific.

If it is sleeker it may be tougher to wear in a casual situation, but yes, if you are going to pay retail and color aside, I would go with the Carminas.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2013
  2. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

I hear you, but I like being married more than I like the idea of having both pairs. [​IMG]

3. tifosi

tifosi Tire Kicker

Really???? haha! [​IMG]

4. OptoDoc

OptoDoc Senior member

Good man. In all honesty, I like the Carmina better...but only slightly.

5. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Senior member

Thanks! I highly recommend them. Took me awhile to actually pull the trigger but once I did now wonder why I waited so long. Well fear of unknown lasts and heel slip to be honest. But they work great for my foot.
    Thank you so much for posting yours what, more than 3 months ago?! Ever since you did I knew I would end up with a pair [​IMG]. And yes I agree a pair in shell would be stunning but already have burgundy so not sure what color? Not that I have thought about it or anything.....

6. rydenfan

rydenfan Senior member

7. ReppTiePrepster

ReppTiePrepster Senior member

8. cincikid

cincikid Senior member

A rivalry explanation could be that cedar is not at all that common outside the US and therefore demands a premium. I believe you can (or used to be able to) buy two types of shoetrees on Loake's website: those made of a domestic wood, and more expensive, imported cedar trees.

9. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Senior member

I can see you in a pair of shell Manchester's bucksfan [​IMG]

The tongue pads don't bother me so much once they are in don't even think about them although would be nice to not need them... Good point about how much I wear them and you would be correct that I wear them almost once a week so they are worn the most of my dress shoes. Most of my 5 last shoes fit pretty much like yours, a bit closer though in both shell and calf:
    [​IMG]

I think a factor, and I didn't even realize it till now, is that after about 6-8 months the Cambridge started to bow some. I would not classify it as major bowing but some flaring. When I let them sit for 2 weeks or so between wears in trees it doesn't seem so bad. So when I got my cappuccino McAllisters they bow about the same out of the box and they have been sitting in trees for the last month. Yesterday when I talked to AE she asked how I liked my MTO McAllisters and I told her they have been sitting in trees with the hope that the bowing would go away. She told me it would not and to send them back to be measured to see if they are in specs so I will. Tonight I will measure the throat opening on the McAllisters, Cambridge and a few other 5 lasted shoes, have a feeling that the Cambridge are about the same as the McAllisters. So if they do another pair of McAllisters for me I will ask about doing the same for the Cambridge. I think it has a bearing on the gap in the lacing but could be wrong. Regardless I still like them a lot!

10. ReppTiePrepster

ReppTiePrepster Senior member

Interesting read indeed. My only point was that the finished (or varnished) shoe trees defeat the purpose, as the second link indicates. Most of the trees one might see in stores within shoes that are on display are not meant for anything but display or I suppose maintaining the proper shape of the shoe's last. I am not wedded to cedar. As long as the unfinished wood smells good, absorbs moisture, and reasonably fits within my shoes, I'm good. Thanks for posting these links my friend...

11. jaywhyy

jaywhyy Senior member

In my humble opinion, I don't think trees do anything except prevent toes from curling and preventing odor. Never noticed any other differences in creasing, etc.

12. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Senior member

Agree with bucksfan, it will work but can take awhile sometimes a long while. And before Renovateur was available in the States the only way to do it. I have only used Renomat on 2 shell shoes and they had so much cream on them that you could see brush marks on the shoes, that is the factor that makes me break out the hard stuff.

My burgundy Dundee's had so much cream on them you couldn't see the burnishing or black highlights on them. It took more than 2 hours of Renovateur, a lot of sweat and brushing to get them to where you could see the shell. After that is when I decided if I ever got another pair with that much cream I would just start with Renomat. And for the black art I have found that sacrificing a chicken before polishing works well [​IMG] But for the most part I do what bucksfan does and once they start to shine only use Renovateur once or twice a year.

13. MoneyWellSpent

MoneyWellSpent Senior member

I think it is important to remember that the creases that set in during wear, won't necessarily be decreased by shoe trees. However, the incidental creasing, or exacerbation of existing creases that happens from the toes curling upward during drying should be mitigated by using shoe trees. It is definitely two different things. I think some people who are new to nice shoes get the wrong impression, that their shoes should somehow be creaseless even though they crease every time your foot bends.

14. Van Veen

Van Veen Senior member

Noob question: Does AE have sales on seconds regularly? Just noticed there have been some pretty good sales in the past.

15. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Senior member

Congrats on great choices!

I had a feeling they were getting low thanks for the PSA.
    Which was my first thought and I only have 2 pairs of black shell...
    Not sure if anyone on here has discussed it but I agree totally. Most of my shell is AE so my closet is VERY strong smelling of cordovan. Likely too much information but not long ago had a lady still in my bed when I was getting ready for work. I opened the doors to the closet and the smell filled the room as it always does, every morning it is a great smell to start the day with IMO. After about a minute she said wow your cologne is very seductive I think you should come back to bed and threw the covers back. I wasn't wearing any cologne, it was the AE shell she was smelling.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.