1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 10: A full set of Aesop's Fables pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 10th auction of the year is for a full set of Aesop's Fable's pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OptoDoc

OptoDoc Senior Member

Could you post a side-by-side for comparison?

2. guasc1

guasc1 Well-Known Member

I just realized why my shell cordovan shoes smell like ass. Because it is ass!!!!

Good evening gentlemen,
    I just couldn't resist..

3. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Distinguished Member

4. tifosi

tifosi Tire Kicker

Based purely on color, I'd go with the snuff Carmina's all day.

5. dapperdoctor

dapperdoctor Senior Member

^^these shoes look so similar that it would probably come down to which color I liked better or which fit better.

6. NWTeal

NWTeal Distinguished Member

Based on the pictures the Carmina look sleeker but a possibly "dressier". The lighter color I would say doesn't work as well in the winter (depending on where you live). The darker AE's are likely more versatile year round.

That being said, the Carminas are gorgeous.

7. WiredandTired

WiredandTired Senior Member

Part of it too is the last it is built on.

Which last is the carmina built on?

Carmina's lasts are more elegant more often than not compared to AE.

8. BCer

BCer Senior Member

Has anyone here had issues with the cork beds in new(ish) AE's seemingly breaking down or compacting to an extreme? I have a pair of Strands which I love, but the last few times I've worn them, it feels like my feet are sliding into the center of the footbeds, and I can feel the outer 'edges' of the sole that covers part of the welting structure (not sure of the name of the piece that runs a half inch or so under the insole). When I look at them and feel with my hands, there is the half inch or so of 'usual' sole level, then they dramatically dip down to the center of the insole. A picture here won't show it at all. I'm wondering if this has been an issue at all? Has there been cases of not enough cork compacted into the sole, or the cork being inferior density? I think I've only worn these Strands maybe 8 times. And no, for those of you wondering, I'm NOT 400lb! haha. I'm 6'2", 220lb...nothing extreme (I hope!?). I'm wondering if my pair are going to be getting a courier ride back to AE?

Thanks for your input and experiences...

9. jaywhyy

jaywhyy Senior Member

Of those two, Carmina is by far the better value. I've never been impressed with AE's suede--doesn't feel soft and the nap is very thin, and Carmina's lasts are much more refined. That being said, I think the forest last is a clunky with its toe box shape, but that's a matter of taste. An alternative medallion captoe near that price range is C&J Westfield on 341 last, which I think is better than both.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2013

10. bucksfan

bucksfan Senior Member

I'm built almost identically to you, and have no such problems with any of my shoes with cork footbeds. Something is wrong - give AE a call.

Edit: after reading MWS' extremely well written reply below, I agree with him. If they are comfortable, keep them, if they are uncomfortable have AE fix it for you.

11. MoneyWellSpent

MoneyWellSpent Distinguished Member

You are seeing evidence of the canvas gemming underneath the insole. Allen Edmonds calls it "Plyrib Tape", but it's the same thing. It's what the welt, upper, and insole are all fastened to. As for the insole collapsing on some shoes more than others, this is possible. Especially if they didn't put enough cork in. If there is room for the cork to move around much, it will obviously migrate away from the pressure points (hence the molding characteristics that are considered "desirable" in Goodyear-welted shoes). Ideally it would be full enough to just compact under pressure, but not have room to migrate. The cork layer isn't more than about 5mm thick, and it is primarily present to serve as a void filler. If your shoes aren't uncomfortable, I wouldn't worry about it.

12. New Shoes1

Agreed, and the difference in cost is only $50, absent a sale. For me, it comes down to which color I want.
    This shoe is on the Forest last, which I find to be very similar to AE's 5 last. The Forest last is slightly sleeker than the 5 last, but I'm not really focused on that point for a suede shoe.

13. New Shoes1

I love the Westfield, but C&J does not fit my wide foot as well as the Forest last does.

14. OptoDoc

OptoDoc Senior Member

NewShoes, I think the only reasonable thing to do is to get both [​IMG]

15. jaywhyy

jaywhyy Senior Member

Ah I see. In that case, I'd go with the Carmina. Channeled soles, much more buttery suede, better last. I also think snuff/polo suede is the best color for suede: really accentuates the texture of it and is dark enough to wear year round. Fall/Winter is also the season of tweeds, with which snuff will shine.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.