Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pastor

Pastor Senior member

I've noticed that I now have more shoes then my wife. It use to be that she had a lot more shoes than me and every time I bought something new i'd say "i'm just trying to keep up with you". Now, I NEVER USE THAT ARGUMENT. In fact, I still keep off-season shoes in the back of the closet so that she doesn't ever see all my shoes in one place.

2. tifosi

tifosi Tire Kicker

[​IMG]
    I at least warned her last night that I was in contact with AE about 2 shell MTOs. I felt like a little kid trying to justify my purchase by explaining the "shell shortage". I could tell by the look on her face that she didn't care.

3. NWTeal

NWTeal Senior member

Just thought I would share a positive experience with the shoebank.

I ordered the Norwich in black in a 9D, which is the size I wear the Park Aves in. It was a little tight, but I figured they would stretch out. I wore them once and it destroyed my feet and was very painful to walk in. I ended up getting them stretched and due to squeaking afterwards, they offered to exchange them.

They recommended I try a size up since it had to be stretched. Apparently the 2-222 Last is shorter than the 5-65 (which I knew, but it mentions elongated toe on the site for the 2-222, so I figured it would be okay). I went to a local AE store and tried on a Norwich in 9.5D in brown since they didn't have it in black, which fit great.

I asked if I could exchange for a brown pair instead of black, and they agreed. I received my new brown Norwich yesterday and to my surprise they sent me a pair of FIRSTS instead of seconds. It came with the shoe bags and the sole didn't have any stamping on them. I have been quite impressed with their service for my two pairs I've ordered from there.

Here are photos of the Norwich, which I think are an underrated shoe. Not a lot of love in the reviews, but the pair I have so far are just as comfortable as the other four pairs of AEs I have and the burnished brown of the shoes is very rich and beautiful. The online site does not do it any justice.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

You can see there's no stamp on the bottom of these [​IMG]

4. tifosi

tifosi Tire Kicker

Great looking shoe! Sounds like it all worked out in the end! I just looked at these at the AE store on Sunday.

5. jaywhyy

jaywhyy Senior member

Dove tail heel? Didn't know AE did that for their standard calf shoes.

6. tampatravel

tampatravel Senior member

NWTeal

Wow..I'll have to give the Norwich another look - they look great.

Nice to hear the SHOEBANK took care of you! I just got my postcard in the mail from them featuring the $179 Clifton. That's going to be hard to pass up.

7. chinngiskhaan

chinngiskhaan Senior member

the color spyder seems like it may be very useful. Have you found it worth your while?

8. tifosi

tifosi Tire Kicker

Just looked at them in brown shell on Sunday. I was smitten. Maybe after my MTO(s)

9. chinngiskhaan

while you are correct in that they would need numerous pictures in order to replicate the real thing, I'm not asking for that. I just don't see the need for the computer generated picture of the shoe. Why not just use a real picture? It still may not be perfect, but it would be much much closer.

10. Winston S.

Winston S. Senior member

Not ColdIron, but I feel this is going to be the case with both my Strands (shell) and Cambridges.

11. bucksfan

bucksfan Senior member

Cold Iron and others do the renomat stripping, but I never have. I tend to stick to a damp cloth, serious brushing (especially early in a shoe's life, when the shell will "spew" in the rolls), and occasionally renovateur. I find that a lot of the wax / cream that AE applies will come off with a damp cloth + brushing. I use the damp cloth, brush for 5 minutes, damp cloth again....etc. I stop when no more finish color is coming off on the cloth.

I believe the answer to your question about whether adhering to the "Mac" method will accomplish the eventual removal of factory applied cream is yes. It may take a while, but yes.

Nice looking boot. The #3 last works well here. It seems they need to add an eyelet though.

12. chinngiskhaan

does anyone know anything about the process of turning horse hide into cordovan leather? does it have to be a certain type of horse?

... and yes I realize this question has little to do with this thread.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2013
  13. tifosi

tifosi Tire Kicker

http://horween.com/leathers/shell-cordovan/

It isn't from just any part of the hide. It is from one particular area.

14. Numbernine

Numbernine Senior member

http://horween.com/leathers/shell-cordovan/

15. tifosi

tifosi Tire Kicker

Burgundy Cambridge today. Maybe the lacing gap doesn't look quite as bad as I thought it did the other day.
    [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.