1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mdubs

mdubs The Mayor of Aldensville

That is very awesome Roger. Glad that you are getting good use out of them and that they are still looking superb. -Mike

2. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

Quote:I don't think it is exaggerating when they lose shape just sitting on a store shelf - not even subject to as much as a gentle breeze. And where did I state how frequently it is occuring? I know I have seen many examples myself and have read of a great many more here on the forum. Beyond that, I have no idea how frequent the problem is relative to total production. But since you seem to acknowledge that it is a 'valid gripe' perhaps the better question is why you picked this particular nit? Mike - cheers.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2014
  3. chinngiskhaan

chinngiskhaan Senior member

There are a few problems with your assertions here. One is that it is quite clear that AE is tops in quality compared to other shoe brands who's average shoe sells for $350. It's unfair to compare AE quality at their $350 price point to shoe makers that charge $500+.

The other problem I have with your assertion is that AE produces a much larger number of shoes (as MWS clearly stated) than the higher price ranged shoes you are alluding to. They don't keep every pair of shoes they make on the last for several weeks. If they did that, they wouldn't be able to produce the shoes as fast as they do, and they would not be making nearly as much money because the number of shoes they would produce each year would decrease significantly. They would then have to increase their price to that of the $500+ range and we would be having an entirely different conversation.

AE, per their CEO does not compete with the Aldens and Alfred Sargents. Their purpose is to get the $80 shoe guy to realize that if they spend $350 on a better pair of shoes, they can save money in the long run, and look better doing it. They serve as the middle ground between kenneth cole rubber soled shoes and the higher-end $500+ brands

I respect your opinion (it's perfectly ok to wish that AEs didn't have the bowing issue)... while it is ok to wish for that, it is COMPLETELY unreasonable to compare AE with other shoe brands that have a significantly higher price point, and thus have the luxury to take their sweet time keeping shoes on their lasts for much longer periods of time. You having your opinion is fine, just know that comparing apples to oranges (as you did) is a logical fallacy.

4. MoneyWellSpent

MoneyWellSpent Senior member

Unless you are talking shell or boots, you are already starting just above AE's price point with your perspective. Especially given the prevalence of factory seconds purchasers here. You also have to take into account the output difference between other companies compared to AE. The other companies that directly compete anywhere near to AE's price point, also put out significantly fewer shoes (Meermin, Loake, who else do you have in mind?).

If it is a defect, they will take it back and give you a non-defective replacement.

There is a serious difference between apologizing and having a different set of expectations that are brought to the table. You are confusing my position with the former, when I really fall with the latter.

There isn't any apologizing going on here. I said it the other day in a separate discussion. AE isn't my company. I buy their products when the cost to benefit ratio is spot on for me. I think that their niche (which they pretty much stand alone in) is an important one to fill. I think people need to approach that niche with certain expectations, and they shouldn't be surprised when those expectations aren't met if they are set too high. I'm not apologizing for AE's defects, I'm saying that those defects should be expected to arise occasionally at their price point. You can look at any shoe company short of the most expensive (EG, G & G, JL) and point to specific reasons why that company has certain flaws (or defects depending on your perspective). Above a certain price point, they become aesthetic differences, generally speaking. Below a certain price point, however, you open yourself up to greater problems that aren't just aesthetics.

Take a look at John Doe Shoe company (and Put This On's review of them). http://putthison.com/post/55518396542/135-goodyear-welted-shoes-sometime-last-week-a

These are able to be made at their low prices for real reasons. It isn't because they just want to make them cheaper, and therefore they are. You are getting what you pay for. Plain and simple.

5. chinngiskhaan

Please explain to me how this doesn't qualify as comparing AE with cheaper brands.

6. MoneyWellSpent

I agree with this. I've never paid full price either. They are far to easy to acquire at significantly lower prices with only a few weeks/months of patience.

7. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

Some feel that improperly (insufficently?) lasted shoes which consequently don't hold their shape are acceptable at the $350 price point - that you are indeed getting what you pay for. They are entitled to their opinion. Others feel they should be getting more for their $350. They are entitled to their opinion, too.

We all ultimately get to vote with our wallets.

8. MoneyWellSpent

I think all this is well stated also, and important points to remember when bringing your expectations to the table.

9. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

Quote:I already did. if you didn't understand it the first time, you won't undersatnd it now.

10. MoneyWellSpent

I may be mistaken, but I would think we would all agree 100% with this statement. I don't think it's acceptable either, and I don't think the others are saying they do. We are simply saying that there is a difference in expectations and the subsequent language used towards AE as a company.

Again, I don't make apologies for AE as a company. I would expect every company at their price point to struggle with the same issues (unless they are making significantly fewer shoes). Which generally turns out to be exactly the case.

11. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

Quote:Here's hoping. ;-)

12. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

13. chris45

chris45 Senior member

I have a matching belt for my walnut Strand.. now need suggestions on a matching belt for my bourbon Kenilworth's... =]

I know there are tons of threads on shoe care, etc.. but I'm just reading and already overwhelmed. Where is a good place to purchase shoe care brushes from? Looking to grab a few.. one for cleaning/dirty .. and then two for the different colors (walnut + bourbon polish). I have some extra shoe bags so will be cutting them up for shoe care use...

What kind of cleaner/conditioner do the AE fans use? The AE products or something else? I picked up the AE walnut/bourbon polish when I ordered my shoes.

So the very simple, basics.. apply leather cleaner (reno/whatever), let dry, brush, apply polish? Am I at least on the right path before digging into a 515 page shoe care thread? heh

14. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

I've got to stop taking phone calls and answering e-mails in between posting. I can't keep up with all of you.

15. chinngiskhaan

you are correct in this assertion... Nobody had a problem with this particular assertion. People jumped down your throat when you chose to compare AE with higher and lower priced shoes when doing so just doesn't make sense.

If you can get a better shoe for $250-$275 along with AE's well documented excellent customer service let me know.

It should be noted that if you do get a shoe that is bowing as a result of "improper lasting" that you can always return it and get a different pair that doesn't have that issue. So yeah... If you feel you should be getting more for $250-$275 then you can have fun wearing shoes that as far as I know don't exist... If you do find such a shoe at a price point equal to AE's congratulations to you!

16. bespoken pa

bespoken pa Senior member

This happened with one of the boots on my mto daltons. The whole boot was skewed pull tabs, toungue, upper(resulted in misalligned eyelets) etc. I contacted Allison and she refunded me $400. The defects do not bother me to the point that I wanted a refund. Did I exepect more care from a mto, absolutely. At the end of the day I received walnut cordovan boots for $300, I am good with that.

17. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

Quote:I feel I should be getting more for $350 shoes, whether they are perpetually discounted to a lower price or not. If you think the manufacturer retail price is an unfair basis for comparison - that's fine. But I don't agree with that, either. And as I said - I have not drawn comparison between AE and cheaper manufacturers in any generalized sense. I have said that the fact that this defect isn't prevalent in cheaper shoes makes it that much more galling coming from the more expensive AE. Which means - try to follow me here - that I expect MORE and BETTER from AE than I do from cheaper brands. You are entirely free to expect less. I am expressing my expectations - I am not trying to impose them upon you. Got it now?

18. bespoken pa

bespoken pa Senior member

This thread is impressing me today, reasonable minds disagreeing and engaging in gentlemanly dialogue. Good stuff.

1 person likes this.
  19. chinngiskhaan

assuming that atmospheric pressure is the only force acting upon a pair of shoes at any given time is quite narrow minded, there is gravity to consider as well. [​IMG]

20. MacktasticGDogg

MacktasticGDogg Senior member

I think it's fine to use AE shoe care products on AE shoes. I have shoe care products from AE, Alden, & Saphir, and to be perfectly honest, I think they all work pretty well and I can't really say that one works better than another. (don't get me wrong, I love the Saphir products and will continue to buy them, but I can't provide any hard evidence on why they are better)

Regarding brushes, I get horsehair brushes either from AE during one of their sales, or the Kiwi brushes sold at Target. I use them on all my shoes, from AE to G&G, and I've been happy with them. I did get a Saphir horsehair brush that retails more than double the AE brush as a gift last year, and I can't really tell much difference between them.

1 person likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.