Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. David Copeland

David Copeland Senior member

Originally from Newport Beach - Now living in West
  2. LeviMay

LeviMay Senior member

Yep... Just D.

3. ReppTiePrepster

ReppTiePrepster Senior member

Much thanks Cold Iron! Wonderful comparison pic. I don't own any chukkas, but if I did I would likely go with LS's 6 eyelet Alden version or the AE dundee. The 2 eyelet chukka doesn't feel secure without sizing down and compromising comfort. All the best my friend...

4. ReppTiePrepster

Great looking boot my friend! Commando sole on AE?? Details?? (sorry I'm so far behind)

EDIT: No need to reply. Did some digging and found some details.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2013
  5. ReppTiePrepster

Looking very good my friend (and thank you)! [​IMG]

6. ReppTiePrepster

Fine looking set of pics Bucksfan! I especially like your cambridge; it has a fine patina. Wear in great health my friend...

7. Count de Monet

Count de Monet Senior member

OK, I have some new Cambridges and am doing the carpet break-in. I've also applied some Renovateur and brushed them a lot. My question is, given the statements of many here that AE ships the new shells with too much "goop" on them, how does one determine whether the shoes have "too much?"

It sounds like some of you hard core shell enthusiasts strip them all the way back with Renomat or some sort of black art, then use some combination of wax for shell and virgorish brushing to shine them up. But, is that only necessary when too much finish has been applied at the factory? And if so, how does one know what "too much" is?

If one faithfully adheres to the Mac Method, will it eventually get the job done whether to shoes are stripped back or not? Stripping down a brand new shoe seems odd and would make me more than a little nervous.

8. chinngiskhaan

chinngiskhaan Senior member

I appreciate the advice... and if I had any way of knowing what shoes I wanted making a "christmas list" would be a super idea. The problem is, as I have previously mentioned, the pictures on the website don't represent the color of the shoes accurately so knowing what shoe I want, and what color I want it in is impossible since they don't have the shoes in every color at the store. So, inaccurate website pictures and poorly stocked stores mean that it wouldn't be a "2 trips to the store" deal, it would be more like 4 or 5 trips to the store, which would result in me paying as much money in gas as I would pay to buy a pair of shoes from Allen Edmonds... Unless I were to have the associate pull every color of shoe from several different styles of course.

IF the website had accurate pictures, I could simply go to the store with a christmas list of the shoes I wanted to try on, have them ordered, come back a week or so later, and purchase the one I liked most.

changing the website pictures is the one glaring need I see with AE when it comes to customer service. The chink in the armor of AE's customer service. Isn't it easier/more cost effective to just snap a real photo rather than paying someone to digitally render a version of what the shoe supposedly looks like? It also takes far less time... Last I checked they still don't have photos up of the new colors they just came out with in the Daltons and the other styles.

9. tifosi

tifosi Tire Kicker

10. Ed Wiser

Ed Wiser Active Member

The problem with color and the web is that not every monitor is color managed. An also most web browsers do not follow the ICC color profile.
    http://petapixel.com/2012/06/25/is-your-browser-color-managed/
    http://simon.tindemans.eu/cm/webcm
    I use a color spyder on my monitor to make sure the color is correct.
    http://spyder.datacolor.com/portfolio-view/spyder4elite/
    The average user can not correct tell the color of a picture on the web.
    They just don't have the equipment to do so.

11. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

Agreed, Chinngis is fighting the wrong battle. There are so many variables that make it difficult to rely on any one picture to determine color, shape and silhouette. Even when I run a Google image search for a shoe and look at all the various real life pictures, I still may be surprised at the color of the shoe or how it looks on my size 12 clodhoppers. Despite this, one of the great perks of this thread is seeing all the real life pictures of shoes that can create a more accurate composite image in my head of what the shoe will look like. AE cannot replicate this with one picture, but would need to have numerous pictures to account for all the variables in lighting, perspective, camera angle, etc.

12. Pastor

Pastor Senior member

I predict a rush of MTO cordovan orders for this boot. AE is really stepping up their game with new designs like this.

13. random-adam

random-adam Senior member

14. md2010

md2010 Senior member

I think its about time for ae. AE sales probably went up quite a lot in recent years. With over 100+ dress shoe models they need to bring out at least 10 dress boots.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.