Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ayoungs

ayoungs Well-Known Member

Very nice shoes, I've been thinking about a pair myself!
    Nice job on the polishing!

2. OlafG

OlafG Senior member

Can one buy the Bayfields anywhere except from eBay? Looking for 11.5 3E.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2013
  3. jasonmx3

jasonmx3 Senior member

Just curious, how do you measure on AE's sizing guide or on the Brannock? I usually wear a D myself but thinking of experimenting with an E.

4. BootSpell

BootSpell Senior member

Land's End. Not sure if they have 3E though.

5. Shiny

Shiny Senior member

I sold these cappuccino shell mcallister webgems a while back. They were beautiful and I would have loved to have put the miles on them, but they were too big. I was not going to do tongue pads and insoles to have them fit me. Someone out there is very happy:

[​IMG]

6. tifosi

tifosi Tire Kicker

Yea they were amazing. Like I said...glad they weren't my size yesterday. Especially since I'm in the middle of ordering 2 MTO.

7. tampatravel

tampatravel Senior member

8. SouthNarc

SouthNarc Senior member

Aren't they fantastic slip-ons? They look great and it took me a bit of Reno work to get them to where they would take a nice shine so don't worry. i think the Manchester is one of the most under appreciated shoes in the AE line up and I concur that a shell version would be STUNNING!:)

9. BCer

BCer Senior member

Just get the rough collection MacNeils. I love mine!! Lol

10. cincikid

cincikid Senior member

IMO, brass eyelets would be quintessential on a casual shoe. I really like Frans Boone's version of Alden's longwings with brass eyelets. [​IMG]

Also, there was a similar discussion regarding eyelets and edge color on the Alden thread a while ago: http://www.styleforum.net/t/85589/the-official-alden-thread/42165

11. David Copeland

David Copeland Senior member

Originally from Newport Beach - Now living in West
    Well, maybe $497.00 on clearance: Here

12. bucksfan

bucksfan Senior member

Thank you gentlemen. Sorry to hear about your need for tongue pads, C.I. Are you facing a similar issue with your other 5-last shoes, or is it only on the Cambridges because you wear them the most?

Very nice -I've been eyeing them ever since I started wearing AE, but they always got put on the back burner. They tie two of my favorite shoe designs together - wingtip and tassel... so maybe soon...

Yes, those are all pictures of my shoes. I find they fit very similarly to my shell PAs (which are almost identical to the calfskin PAs I had until recently). There is some variance in any shoe from one pair to another, so give them another try. They are a great shoe.

13. David Copeland

A professional fit involves more than just what the Brannock device says. For "sales associates" at many stores, that is all they rely on. But insist on a quality store and a quality manager of the department who will take the time to go beyond the device, including arch, funny toes, and mis-matched biological pieces.

Also, I have read recently that some folks don't want to take the time to go to a store, or they feel the store may not have their styles and sizes in stock.

Here's my take:

The more AE shoes you own, they will last 25 or more years because of rotation and good care. Given that most marriages last 20 months, why would anyone not make the effort in trying on shoes that will be a part of your life for a generation?

As for lack of sizes in stock, I suggest you make a Christmas list for the next 18 months (not the whole catalog). And then make that store visit to get your size. Then speak to the manager and ask that he/she bring in the missing sizes and colors for you to try on within a week or two - then make the second trip.

The Nordstrom manager I work with speaks on behalf of all Nordstroms department stores when he says "Give me your list, and I will either pull your size/color from another store - or I will order them in from AE for you to "try on". He knows very well that if I get married to an AE pair of shoes, he will have me for a customer for a very long time.

All my best,

David

14. David Copeland

I believe I sent you a message a while back that by calling a Nordstrom Manager to order the shoe to their store from AE (along with any price match), they will ship the order from the USA to Canada for less than $45, and offer a free return shipping label.

If you need more clarity, let me know.

David

15. David Copeland

I have the same color and same boot. And mine appeared to be a little longer than my regular AE shoes. It is on a different "last" mold.

As for your correct size - see my other most recent post on getting a professional sizing before buying anymore.

David

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.