Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rydenfan

rydenfan Senior member

In honor of RTP's recent acquisition...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. calidist

calidist Senior member

+1. Allison is fantastic.

3. bucksfan

bucksfan Senior member

Same here: Also, it is worth mentioning that as a shoe breaks in, the gap will close to a greater extent.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. OptoDoc

OptoDoc Senior member

I remember using the Brannock device at Foot Locker when I was in high school. I'm not sure what size it said I should have been, but when I tried them on they felt too tight to me. So I went up a full size or two and they felt better. In my adolescent head, thinking all shoes of the same size fit the same, that became my size.

About 2 years ago I was "professionally fitted" for a pair of running shoes. The SA (college student) measured me on the Brannock and asked me what my typical size was. I told her I typically wear a 10/10.5. I know that on the Brannock I measure an 8.5/9, but she totally disregarded this information and brought out 4 pair of 10.5s. I commented that the one I liked best didn't fit perfectly. Did she bring out a smaller size? No! She just sold me one of her special inserts to go in the shoe and make it all better. Gosh...I was gullible.

It was only after becoming interested in quality footwear that I bothered to be measured on a Brannock device again. I was floored that after wearing a 10.5 (the American White Man's Avg foot size) my whole life, that I was really an 8.5 (and thus, below avg [​IMG]).

Moral of the story is at most stores the SAs are trying to move product. Same thing happens at department stores when trying on suits/sportcoats. I have a few 42R sportcoats from my student days that I was told fit perfectly. Now that I know more about proper fit, they look ridiculous to me. I wear a 38S.

5. MoneyWellSpent

MoneyWellSpent Senior member

I agree with tampatravel. I think your fit looks just fine. I think the bar lacing is pronouncing the gap, and you may be better off using traditional lacing. Think of it in the same manner as patterns in clothing. People who want to look slimming aren't supposed to wear horizontal stripes because it creates an optical illusion of greater width. Don't drink the kool-aid and think that you have to have bar lacing just because they are balmorals. That's not a rule, it's a guideline. I like and use bar lacing when the gap is much closer, but on wider gaps I think it can start to look bad.

6. MoneyWellSpent

I have had similar experiences. Doing your own research and being educated before you go to the store to make purchases is almost always the best course to take, as I've learned as well.

7. MoneyWellSpent

All great looking shoes!

8. tifosi

tifosi Tire Kicker

I had them laced traditionally and I figured I'd give the straight bar a try. I think it looks worse on the grey McTavish because of the stark contrast between the color of the shoe and the laces. I'll throw the Cambridge on tonight when I get home and take a look. I did notice that I can't tie the shoes as tightly with the straight lacing, thus making the gap even larger. I'll just see what works the best. I do like the way the straight lacing looks though.

9. tifosi

tifosi Tire Kicker

If I could get to that point with a gap like you have there I'd be happy. More excuse to wear my Cambridge!

10. MoneyWellSpent

That's really all I meant. I take it on a case by case basis. I definitely bar lace my balmorals as long as they are suited for it.

11. hexagon

hexagon Member

12. JermynStreet

JermynStreet Senior member

Hey Gentlemen,

I just bought a pair of Dornochs to use while I travel to London this week. I will be using them as my primary walking shoes during the day. Any ideas on what looks good paired with these shoes? Dark Denim? Light Denim? Colored trousers?

Gracias in advance.

13. tifosi

tifosi Tire Kicker

I could not agree more. I'm glad they weren't my size or I would have walked out with them.

14. MacktasticGDogg

MacktasticGDogg Senior member

What color are your Dornochs? If they are the tan ones, I' go with dark denim or pants with some olive in it (light or dark) or maybe brown pants (lately I've been wearing my darker tan colored shoes with brown pants a lot). If they are the brown ones, you could probably wear them with just about anything.

BTW, will you be checking out shoes from the English makers during your trip?

15. Calikid

Calikid Senior member

+1

Last edited: Aug 19, 2013

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.