Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cincikid

cincikid Senior member

Thanks for sharing the results! The vamp on the right shoe looks amazing--what a difference did the Renovateur make! I actually much prefer the shiny look of the leather on the right so I will likely through some Reno on mine as well. Also, I wouldn't worry too much about making them dressier than they were intended. As far as I am concerned, the combination of natural edge, brass eyelets, contrast stitching, and alabaster laces would still give them a casual kick even after tons of Saphir.

2. Van Veen

Van Veen Senior member

All the AE outlets are real outlets, right? (As opposed to "factory stores" like BB selling a lower quality product.)

3. cincikid

cincikid Senior member

Based on my experience, they are clearance stores selling primarily discontinued and irregular stuff, rather than the lower quality items, as the factory stores typically do.

4. jrarnold

jrarnold Well-Known Member

This was my experience being new to this forum/thread. I didn't know what the name of the device was, so I thought maybe it was a special measuring tool that AE used. When I went to my first AE store and they brought out the brannock I had to resist face palming in the middle of the store. I had driven over an hour and paid for parking just to get my foot measured when I could have gone down the street from my house. Of course I walked out of the store with new AE shoes that fit right, so that was worth it. But the reverence and frequency that the brannock is mentioned would make one think it is a rare and special tool used only by the sizing masters.

5. bucksfan

bucksfan Senior member

I go there frequently - yes, it is a real outlet, selling seconds, discontinued items, but they can get firsts in for you as well. Definitely give them a call ahead of time, to make sure they will have your item in stock.

Separately, I would be remiss if I didn't comment on the outstanding shoes displayed lately.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2013

6. tifosi

tifosi Tire Kicker

Saw some cappuccino shell (at least what the salesperson told me it was) for the first time in person yesterday. I can't wait to get some shoes on order!
    [​IMG]

7. Michael Haines

Michael Haines Senior member

Here is the number for the lady handling the styleforum MTO program

You want to talk to Allison. She has been incredible, best customer service I have experienced in a long time.
    800-235-2348 Ext: 6428

8. tifosi

tifosi Tire Kicker

When I see shoes looking like this:
    [​IMG]

...it's starting to bug me that my balmorals look like this when laced:
    [​IMG]

I don't think I have a wide foot (at the ball), but I guess my instep is a bit high. What do you guys recommend? These are 8D on the 5 last. Maybe down .5 and up a width or two?? I know shoes aren't going to look the same on as they do on the shoe trees, but I believe I could get them to lace up a bit closer. Thanks all.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2013

9. tampatravel

tampatravel Senior member

Those look fine honestly. It's better than the eyelets nearly touching! If you start changing sizes you can run into heel slip, etc...

Just don't look down! [​IMG]

10. tifosi

tifosi Tire Kicker

Quote:

Originally Posted by tampatravel

Those look fine honestly. It's better than the eyelets nearly touching! If you start changing sizes you can run into heel slip, etc...

Just don't look down!

You think? I did change the lacing to straight and it did clean it up a little. I don't have any pics of them straight laced, yet.

Here are my 5 lasted McTavish tho...
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 19, 2013

11. NWTeal

NWTeal Senior member

Awesome. Thanks Michael!

12. NWTeal

NWTeal Senior member

My balmorals fit the same way. A wider size feels too loose. I've just accepted that I have a slightly high instep. I think it's a pretty common "issue" especially with the 5-65 last (it's a bit more narrow and elongated). I'd have to shop multiple lasts/brands or get them made bespoke if I wanted them to fit perfectly. Oh well.

13. tifosi

tifosi Tire Kicker

I'd imagine I'd feel the same way about a wider size. These fit perfectly in all other aspects.

14. tampatravel

tampatravel Senior member

I think the gap looks more pronounced with the straight bar lacing, but that could just be me.

15. tifosi

tifosi Tire Kicker

Hmmmmmmm...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.