1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 8: A Bespoke Coat from David Reeves

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a Bespoke Coat from David Reeves. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mdubs

mdubs The Mayor of Aldensville

Was in town, so I went to the AE store in Reston, VA and got to see the new McTavish in the Brown Crackle leather. I think it looks just as bad in person as it does in the website pics.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2013

2. mdubs

All, thanks for posting the pics comparing the browns against the cappuccino shells... I think that I have a decent idea now... The cappuccino reminds me of the brown used by Crockett and Jones on their Marlows for Ralph Lauren, which is a lovely sample of Shell Cordovan.

-Mike

3. ReppTiePrepster

ReppTiePrepster Distinguished Member

Thank you very much my friend for the kind welcome. The Walnut shell is actually darker than I anticipated, but I was pleasantly surprised. Glad to be here...

4. evolved

evolved Senior Member

I should have specified, I meant regular AE's....those I can get for $200ish. Shell I can get for around $400.

5. delmar

delmar Senior Member

My experience too. I always knew what it was, but I did just learn in the last couple of years what it was called.

6. Snoogz

Snoogz Distinguished Member

How r u gettin shells at 400$?

7. evolved

evolved Senior Member

My wife works for a retailer that carries AE's. She gets 33% off.

8. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Distinguished Member

It is close Mike, but slightly different color.
    [​IMG]
    Not a great picture due to lack of strong light but C&J for RL Marlow in center with Wolverine 744's on either side. Walnut to far right and cappuccino to left. IRL the 744's and Marlow's are an exact match.

[​IMG]
    Here is brown to left, mahogany 744, cappuccino and walnut to far right. It is a much better color representation. Personal goal of mine was for a chukka, boot and shoe in every color of AE shell that has been offered. I spent a lot of time researching the color of the C&J and 744's and believe it is referred to internally at Horween as cognac. In talking to AE about it they even went so far as to talk to Nick Horween himself concerning have a chukka made for me in that color. I am not privy to all the exchanges that took place but bottom line is it I couldn't get a chukka in that color. Which is just as well, I have tried to make the Marlow fit my foot but after last week and walking several miles in them at a rapid pace the top of my toes were rubbed raw and I'm going to sell them. But hope the picture above will help you. As mentioned it is a very rich color. But I still love the color of the Marlow's and 744's.

9. mavrik13

mavrik13 Active Member

Never been personally, but I would recommend phoning/e-mailing in advance and asking them to bring in (or ensure they have) the styles/sizes that you really want. I'm sure you will find the trip worthwhile ;)

10. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Distinguished Member

I also would like to welcome you to the "dark side" RTP, I did a double take when I saw your post here. Welcome! [​IMG]

It is likely good that your walnut shell is darker than you expected given your Alden shell collection. Walnut being the lightest shell color offered by AE it will vary some in color much as Alden Ravello and Whiskey will. Thanks to Rydenfan on the Alden thread I was able to pick up the Alden chukka in Ravello. But my Ravello chukkas are lacking in any undertones and are almost a prefect match for my walnut Dundee's. So much so that I can only tell the difference on the closet shelf by the 2 eyelets of the Alden vs. 3 on the Dundee's. I'm keeping the walnut Dundee's and eventually will get around to selling the Alden's (far right), 3 to the left are AE Walnut shell.
    [​IMG]

I have always enjoyed your pictures RTP, thank you.

11. rydenfan

rydenfan Distinguished Member

Still have a ways to go but I am pleased with my first round of brushing and buffing

[​IMG]

12. dapperdoctor

dapperdoctor Senior Member

That was pretty funny stuff. You are correct.

13. bespoken pa

bespoken pa Distinguished Member

14. mdubs

What you all think about AEs new look? The gold on black with the hammer and 1922? I actually really like it.

-Mike

15. mdubs

Those are all beautiful and a great example to how much shell can vary. I have noticed a general theme to the Dalton's in Walnut Shell tending to have a more brown undertone. Your Strands could almost be an exact match for mine. I really like the color variation on them depending on how you look at them. I do agree with you on the Chukkas. Those are very close. Surprising as Ravello usually has a more red undertone to it. I personally like the stitch work does on the side of their Chukkas, but I have never tried on the AE Chukkas to see how the 3 eyelets compare against the 2. Regardless, enjoy your nice sampling of Walnut Shell! -Mike

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.