• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roycru

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Cold Iron

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I recently bought a pair of brown Bayfields from Lands' End. They fit and look great, and the customer service was top notch. I wore them a couple times on my trip to England and Scotland, and on my way out of the Edinburgh Royal Military Tatoo, had the right heel fall off. Being in a huge crowd, I was unable to recover it. The left is also peeling, but hasn't come off completely. A new pair is on the way, and again, Lands' End has been nothing but helpful.

Pics:

This is good to know, thank you! I never had any issues with my CXL Bayfields in the 2 years that I had them, and I wore them hard. I ordered my replacement ones a half size up from Lands End Sunday and am hoping that they will be at the house when I get home tonight. Glad to hear that Lands End will handle any issues if they come up.

evolved

Reaction score
I don't actively keep up with this thread like I should, but those of you getting special cordovan make up's in all sorts of styles, how are you doing so? What cordovans are available and is any style on the table, basically?

Count de Monet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Apparentlly, the STP's for sale are the "combination" models, not the full toe.

Fine, but I happened to notice the sizing table is not quite the same as for the "full toe" model. For example, a 10.5 EE is a Lg in the full toe but an XL is recommended on the combo table.

EDIT: and the "free shipping if ordered via smart phone ap" deal apparently only applies to 'droids, not iPhones.

Still, even paying about $8 for shipping, an order of three worked out to about $41 or less than $14 each shipped.

Last edited:

MoneyWellSpent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can mirror shines be accomplished on Calfskin?

I'm not sure if you have a typo there, or if you meant to ask about another type of leather by mistake... But yes, a mirror shine can be accomplished on calfskin. Calfskin is what you are supposed to obtain a mirror shine on (if you want one). Other leathers, like shell cordovan, can obtain mirror shines as well, but general opinion is that it isn't as desirable.

green garden

Reaction score
So after a lot of phone tag, I finally heard back from Allison regarding my 3 questionable McAllisters.

She said she was going to bring my 3rd pair in and have a powwow with the heads of quality and even Paul himself. Besides agreeing that all the other defects weren't right, they determined that the ridges were indeed not ideal and something they wanted to look into remedying. The ridge is indeed from the lower piece of leather showing through, so she is working with the designers to come up with a new pattern where this doesn't happen. She said they'll make two uppers with this new pattern to try to yield a pair without the ridge, and she will personally inspect it before sending me the 4th attempt. I asked if this was a custom makeup or if they were looking into incorporating this permanently to the McAllister, and she said for now it would just be for me but if it works out they would consider doing it for all McAllisters.

I'm very happy how seriously she took this. I basically wanted a pair with less of a ridge, so would've been fine with her just finding one that looked better. Instead, she took it upon herself to not only make me happy but also possibly tweak the model for the future. Additionally, I was given a gift card to make up for waiting a few months to get this resolved.

Anyway, add this story to the numerous other examples of great customer service from Allen Edmonds.
Great story. More power to Mr. Grangaard and team!

AdamAdam

Reaction score
I'm interested in a pair of Strawfut. Should I go with the same size as I wear in other 5-last shoes (McAllister)? Does the linen change sizing at all?

cincikid

Reaction score
Apparentlly, the STP's for sale are the "combination" models, not the full toe.

Fine, but I happened to notice the sizing table is not quite the same as for the "full toe" model. For example, a 10.5 EE is a Lg in the full toe but an XL is recommended on the combo table.

EDIT: and the "free shipping if ordered via smart phone ap" deal apparently only applies to 'droids, not iPhones.

Still, even paying about $8 for shipping, an order of three worked out to about $41 or less than $14 each shipped.
I got the free shipping using an iPhone app. I'd call Sierra and ask to wave it.

DHD28

Reaction score
I'm not sure if you have a typo there, or if you meant to ask about another type of leather by mistake... But yes, a mirror shine can be accomplished on calfskin. Calfskin is what you are supposed to obtain a mirror shine on (if you want one). Other leathers, like shell cordovan, can obtain mirror shines as well, but general opinion is that it isn't as desirable.

As a relatively new owner of grown up shoes I was under the assumption that mirror shines are more easily obtainable on Cordovan shoes than Calfskin. But thank you for the clarification.

hohneokc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm interested in a pair of Strawfut. Should I go with the same size as I wear in other 5-last shoes (McAllister)? Does the linen change sizing at all?

I bought my Strawfuts in the same size as my other 5-last shoes and they fit the same.

I have the brown/navy mesh version. From my understanding, the linen is a bit different as the linen has leather linings while the mesh is mesh only. However, I would think they would fit the same.

Chris

Close Hoarse

Reaction score
I bought my Strawfuts in the same size as my other 5-last shoes and they fit the same.

I have the brown/navy mesh version. From my understanding, the linen is a bit different as the linen has leather linings while the mesh is mesh only. However, I would think they would fit the same.

Chris
I have the Strawfut in linen and black mesh. I find the fit to be identical, and very comfortable.

CH

Shiny

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I can't believe I beat my main man, Dave Copeland, about the upcoming Labor day 2nds sale. Just got the postcard today. Runs from Aug 22 to Sept 2. Walnut Cliftons for $179 :bounce2: . That's one fine shoe. Anyway, here's pix I took of the postcard. I think it's clear enough, but if not I can type out the sale prices. Get ur credit cards ready...

jeNDSJm.jpg

XQvP96G.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads