1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MoneyWellSpent

MoneyWellSpent Senior member

Do you see a gap open up if you gently tug down on the heel?

Is "clicking" the best description, or is it more of a creaking? Creaking can take place from numerous sources, and some go away over time. A slightly loose heel can cause a creaking. Are you 100% certain that the sound is coming from the heel? The tongue rubbing against the uppers can cause some creaking, as well as other areas as they break in.

If it's barely noticeable, I wouldn't worry about it. If people can hear you walking down the hallway and predict that it's you because of the trademark sound, it would bother me though.

2. MoneyWellSpent

The only thing I would add to this conversation is that in my experience, the chili darkens a good bit if you use AE's chili polish. My chili shoes could pass as burgundy in some shades of light (such as indoor evening light) after many polishings. They are certainly still a bit brighter and more reddish in sunlight, however.

1 person likes this.
  3. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

Thought I'd take the shoes out for a family meeting, followed by some TLC (my son woke up before I got to finish the TLC, but that's another story). Please excuse the very limited photography skills!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Whole Family II

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  4. bkotsko

bkotsko Senior member

Thank goodness for the Long Branches and Obenauf's.
    I was replacing my wiper blades over lunch and a giant clump of snow/slush from behind my front tire fell right on top of my shoes.
    The water just beaded off, and I gave them a wipe when I got in the office, and nothing....

5. bkotsko

bkotsko Senior member

Very nice, Pepper.

6. Dillardiv

Dillardiv Senior member

If anyone is interested, I just got word that my brown shell Jefferson's didn't pass inspection, so there should be at least 1 pair (this is the second remake) of 10.5 Ds out there as seconds.

1 person likes this.
  7. deeselcyde

deeselcyde Active Member

Yes, but not a gap. I can see a slight crack when I pull down on the heel. That was the first thing I checked. The left shoe (the culprit) has a more noticeable crack/seperation when pulling down on the heel than the right.

I know the sound of the leather tongue rubbing against the uppers so I know it's not that.

The sound definitely does not overtake the natural sound of someone walking. I noticed it on a linoleum tile floor while adjusting my stance (lifting my heel up and putting it down). Sounded kind of like stepping on a couple grains of sand with new leather shoes against linoleum tile.

8. MoneyWellSpent

I don't think I'd worry about it.

9. frankmartin

frankmartin Well-Known Member

Hi, I'm new to posting here, but I have half a dozen pairs of AEs. I was wondering if there is a set of AE last fitment rules of thumb anywhere? I've previously been fitted in an AE store before for the lasts of the model shoes I was interested in. However, for lasts that I haven't fit on I've been able to find tips here and there. Has anyone ever compiled tips for all the current lasts for themselves?

This is what I've noted for myself. I'm really not 100% sure about the 3 and 4 last tips. I'd be interested to know the experience of others.

1-511 brannock size
    3-73 brannock size + maybe 1 width ??
    4-234 brannock size I think ??
    5-65 brannock size minus .5 to 1 size depending on model + 1 width
    7-97 brannock size

Last edited: Jan 3, 2014
  10. polojock615

polojock615 Senior member

Wolverine 744s today

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  11. MoneyWellSpent

The 3-73 is their widest last. I'd be surprised if sizing up a width were ever necessary, but if you've had to, I can't argue with your experience. If anything, I'd think going down one width would make more sense (but I went true to size).

For the 5-65 last, I think it depends on what you are trying to accomplish. I am true to size from a comfort perspective, but the shoe flexes and creases in a funky way. I found that going up a half length and down a width kept the same comfort, but made the shoe flex/crease much more appropriately.

For the 7-97 last, up a half length is better for me, but I can pull off true to size.

I'm true to size in the 1-511, and haven't messed with the 4-234.

I'm true to size on the 2-222 and the 8-108 lasts.

1 person likes this.
  12. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

Sizing is a funny thing. My feet are quite different in size and shape, but I wear a 10.5 3E comfortably in the 5-65, 511, and 234 lasts. On the 333 last, 10.5 3E is a little long, but works well with a tongue pad in. 10 3E is painfully narrow.

13. NWTeal

NWTeal Senior member

I haven't tried the 3-73 or the 4-234, but I'd agree with the other three. I would also say that for the 2-222 last, the best fit is brannock size and up one width. The toe box is pretty tight on my 2-222 when TTS.

14. NWTeal

NWTeal Senior member

A rare PA day for me. Put spit shine on the toe with AE wax a month ago and used AE premium polish on the rest of the shoe. The premium polish seems to leave a good shine without any cracking.

[​IMG]

15. dapperdoctor

dapperdoctor Senior member

Nice shine on those cap toes.

16. Grenik

Grenik Member

What is the best way to find out when a ShoeBank sale starts. If you sign up for teh AE newsletter, do they send something out? I had them send me a list today, and there were some nice items on it.

Cheers.

17. tjyoung

tjyoung Senior member

What is the general thought about wearing standard leather soled shoes in the

-snow
    -rain
    -slush
    -salt
    -etc.

My standard Dalton's are my go-to weekend wear and I wore them out in the mild slush in Michigan today.

Also, if it's OK to wear them out and about in these conditions, what is the recommended procedure for cleanup afterwards? I've heard 50-50 mix of white vinegar and water applied to the whole shoe. Any agreement on this?

18. Gauss17

Gauss17 Senior member

The general thought is to wear rubber soles in such conditions.

19. OptoDoc

OptoDoc Senior member

Honestly the best way to be alerted about sales is to follow this thread. I'm on every list AE has and sales still pop up that I am unaware of.

1 person likes this.
  20. tifosi

tifosi Senior member

I just wipe my shoes down with a damp cloth, allow to dry (on their sides so the soles get some air) and tree them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.