• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

deburn

Reaction score

Recently purchased two pairs of the Cordovan Park Avenues, but was expecting more of a sheen like other non-AE cordovan shoes I've had.  I know I can put a mirror shine on the toe, but doing so will be noticeably different than the rest of the shoe and I don't care for that look.  I compared these shoes to my Bostonian Akrons, which have a stronger sheen.  Will more of a sheen appear over time or with the proper care?  If these can't approach my Bostonians, any suggestions on other non-AE (perish the thought!) shoes that are like the Park Avenues?  Thanks.

Why not just buy the PAs in calf?

delmar

Reaction score

I see a lot of vintage clothing in my side job and a million Allen Edmonds shoes. I always liked Monk Straps, but found most styles pretty bland. These little gems came around a few weeks ago and I love the lines. Horribly, they are not my size... But they hit all the right notes for me. What do you think???

Should anyone ever see an Allen Edmonds "Times Square" in 13D... Let me know please. I searched google and all over. This may be the only pair of AE Times Squares alive and well on the planet. A heartbreak, as I must now find a pair in my size!

(PS: I enjoy this appreciation thread! Thanks!)
Those are snazzy! Too bad they don't fit.

David Copeland

Reaction score

I see a lot of vintage clothing in my side job and a million Allen Edmonds shoes. I always liked Monk Straps, but found most styles pretty bland. These little gems came around a few weeks ago and I love the lines. Horribly, they are not my size... But they hit all the right notes for me. What do you think???

Should anyone ever see an Allen Edmonds "Times Square" in 13D... Let me know please. I searched google and all over. This may be the only pair of AE Times Squares alive and well on the planet. A heartbreak, as I must now find a pair in my size!

I see you were selling these size 10b's on eBay for $499 before dropping the price to $219.

Silly question, but if someone were to locate a size 13d . . . how much would they be worth?

Winston S.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Guess I'll be the first, not thrilled about the look of those.

rydenfan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

what was the final cost for these? this might satisfy my need that alden likely won't fulfill in dark brown..

also, could you have optioned out different eyelets, and/or have gotten all eyelets and no speed hooks?

thanks in advance

$695 plus tax.

The speed hooks could not be removed but I am unsure about an alternate color

tampatravel

Reaction score
Brilliant move by Rydenfan!

Buy another boot that looks similar...and you can slip 'em past the wife :)

kwhitelaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
$695 plus tax.

The speed hooks could not be removed but I am unsure about an alternate color
beyond reasonable, thanks for the info.

I've never sized up that particular model from AE. I have the same naval boot as you, how would you compare sizing?

thanks!

Roycru

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wish AE would bring back more of the non-balmoral styles from the 1950's catalog:

Is it just the style that you would like to see available again or would you also like to have shoes made from goats rather than from cows or horses? I'd be happy if Allen Edmonds went back to providing flat waxed laces rather than round laces.

bl@ster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Is it just the style that you would like to see available again or would you also like to have shoes made from goats rather than from cows or horses?  I'd be happy if Allen Edmonds went back to providing flat waxed laces rather than round laces.

No goat leather please, I've seen it on shoes and didn't care for it. I like the style, and agree that the flat laces are nice.

bl@ster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I can snap some more pictures in the daylight but here is the Alden Naval Boot with the AE Bayfield

I really prefer the way Alden places the eyelets. The AE boot eyelets always seem too far apart to me.

OptoDoc

Reaction score
From one Long Branch to another . . . how about a larger photo!

And did you add a shine to them?

David

Just click on the pic and it'll get larger, David. No...no shine yet, as I haven't worn them. Just some conditioner/cleaner.

MidwestSteve

Reaction score
Initially I did... and those shoes seemed more "dull" than the Shell Cordovan. When I heard about the Shell PAs, I thought, "jackpot," but no such luck.

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Those would be great conversation pieces, alongside an equally audacious ensemble.

Kind of like Pirate shoes, no? Don't think I could ever wear them but serious props to anyone who can pull off the look in the right circumstances.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads